Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2016, 09:33 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
most people love the step up of Q7 and QS1, me included....punches a long way above its weight....
BUT, I'd settle for the smaller size to have 4K
If I wanted a video camera, I would buy a specialized video camera.
Pentax is welcome to make a camera specialized on video; I will not buy it.
Maybe you are more their target market than I am; that is fine - my Q-7 is basically meeting my current need, and I won't feel any need to spend more money on them if it is a step down in my eyes.
I bought the Q-7 specifically because I wanted the better IQ that comes with the larger sensor.
An EVF would be enough increase in value that I would buy a new Q to get it; video adds absolutely nothing for me.

Incidentally - they may want to wait until the new camera proves itself before they extend this technology to other products. As I commented in another thread, GoPro is facing serious financial issues, so this product might be chasing a market that is already saturated.

02-23-2016, 10:19 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I recently read that GP is shedding 7% of its workforce....I'm not sure that its a serious financial issue though...

just a business adjustment with numerous cheaper knock offs flooding the market

a bit of history

the action cam segment came about due to the Go Pro inventor travelling through Indonesia on a surfing trip and realising the need for such a camera

so he went back to Californicated(great song chilli peppers) and invented it.

GP dominated the market because no one else was in it and it took a while for the established cam companies to get their versions happening...let alone competitive

GP have been a step ahead until the specs of the Ricoh were revealed....not to say GP may trump it next week, who knows?

GP grew enormously during their existence, so much so that the founder is the first start up surfer to enter the billionaire status

meanwhile, a lot of the established cam companies have developed their version of the action cam

GP had to stop growing at some stage, it seems around about now....and probably their market share( at one stage 100%) will downturn

as far as market saturation goes....everyone is, bar maybe the 360

Ricoh, come April will be competing in most camera formats( m4/3 and aspc mirrorless excluded)

so WHERE are the R&D $$$$ going to be spent?

02-24-2016, 01:18 AM   #18
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
They should start by fixing the rear LCD resolution and adding an EVF. Then everything else will follow
Well with those improvements and 4k you need a better battery for Q.

---------- Post added 24-02-16 at 09:28 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I keep hearing that the primary target of the Q family is the Japanese school girl. If that is true, then they need to make it very strong in video. But if that is true, then the Q is probably doooooomed regardless of what they put in or leave out, because I personally don't see how any true camera can complete with a smart phone in that market. I agree WR and EVF would greatly improve the Q, but that would involve going after completely different markets, and would require a new lens or two also, and I'm not convinced that Pentax is prepared to go after those markets.
It's in Dutch, but this is a market.

http://www.teske.nl/tag/canon/

Girls that vlog. They need to upgrade to 4k!
02-24-2016, 05:49 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

4k: Last thing Q needs

So now the 4K discussion has moved over from APS-C and FF cameras to the Q! I think most of us are worried that the Q line may be at an end rather than wishing for unlikely add-ons. By the way, I have three cameras with 4k (4 counting my phone). I almost never use it and, for most purposes, think it is unnecessary.

02-24-2016, 07:04 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For whatever it's worth, I also think 4K video is a gimmick rather than something genuinely useful.
02-24-2016, 07:32 AM   #21
Banned

I recently was in cinema and seen The Revenant in 4k.
02-24-2016, 07:36 AM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
For whatever it's worth, I also think 4K video is a gimmick rather than something genuinely useful.
Even if playback is 1080p, 4k files give editors options to crop, pan, and zoom. That's genuinely useful, just like have extra megapickles for stills.

02-24-2016, 11:21 AM   #23
Pentaxian

I recently read that GP is shedding 7% of its workforce....I'm not sure that its a serious financial issue though...
just a business adjustment with numerous cheaper knock offs flooding the market
Apparently there is a lot more to it.
A lawsuit has been filed against some of the main GoPro guys
GoPro, Inc.: Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP
alleging that some of the "good news" during their "good times" was partly phoney.
The price of GoPro stock is now something like one-fourth of what is was when they started,
and barely one-tenth of what it was during GoPro's "good times".

Even if it is "just cheaper knock offs flooding the market", the WG-M2 will have to swim against that flood,
as would a re-targeted Q-M1

so WHERE are the R&D $$$$ going to be spent?
Do we know that there is any "extra" R&D $$$$? Perhaps the K-1 was developed by the engineers who had been
developing APS-C cameras, and now they will alternate between the various K-mount offerings. Perhaps developing
the WG-M2 was funded by $$$$ redirected from other uses within Ricoh, anything from copiers to dividends, and
now will go back to those uses or some other special project somewhere in a completely different part of Ricoh (far, far away from Pentax).
02-24-2016, 12:05 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
For the people who only do stills, ANY video is irrelevant....and they have the option of not using digital and going back to film!

4K video, even replayed on a 1080p TV is a big jump in quality( to my eyes anyway)

Opinions will always vary on any subject and we DONT know even if theres another Q model arriving? ? ?

I'm very happy with Q7s video quality, but considering the capability of the 4K 1 over 2/3rds sensor in WG-M2....WHY shouldn't Ricoh attack the market with a compact size 4K camera?
02-24-2016, 02:51 PM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
Then you've never looked at a 4k display my friend. I'd recommend going to your local best buy for a look.

4k is also becoming the video and even picture editor choice of resolution in the field because of the extra real estate.
02-24-2016, 03:41 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
4K is here, quite a few TVs have it, laptops are just starting with it...

1080p is heading the same direction as 720 and video tape(all these will linger for a time)

tech changes QUICK, 8K is imminent
02-24-2016, 04:08 PM   #27
Pentaxian

For the people who only do stills, ANY video is irrelevant....and they have the option of not using digital and going back to film!
That is like saying a person could use "Super 8" instead of "4K"

4K video, even replayed on a 1080p TV is a big jump in quality( to my eyes anyway)

Opinions will always vary on any subject and we DONT know even if theres another Q model arriving? ? ?

I'm very happy with Q7s video quality, but considering the capability of the 4K 1 over 2/3rds sensor in WG-M2....WHY shouldn't Ricoh attack the market with a compact size 4K camera?
I have no opinion on Ricoh's releasing a 4K camera. What I do object to is having the Q regress to a sensor smaller than 1/1.7".
02-24-2016, 05:20 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
you don't have to buy it....and you've said that video is of no interest and you wouldn't buy it....no one is forcing you

plenty of other people will, me included

however, if the bigger sensor can come with 4K, then even more sales will be made

as stated before, I'm happy with the video on the Q7 when I have to use it....but when I'm setting out to do some important video I do it with my NX500

if a 4K Q(small sensor) arrives and I have to carry it and the Q7 then its just another pocket with something in it
02-24-2016, 06:12 PM   #29
Pentaxian

you don't have to buy it....and you've said that video is of no interest and you wouldn't buy it....no one is forcing you
That is correct. Right now I have no plans to buy any small camera. Adding video but making sensor smaller would chase me to some other product if I did reach a point where I needed to replace my Q-7. An EVF would draw me to the new camera even if I had no plans to retire the Q-7.

plenty of other people will, me included
Maybe yes, maybe no. Most of my comments have related to concerns about that saturation of that market in general and whether it has sufficient "legs" (sustained demand) to make entry by companies such as Ricoh worthwhile. I, and Ricoh management, have seen many fads come-and-go. If you're not a very early entrant into a product like slot-cars, then there is no point since the market is dying just about the time you have something to sell.

however, if the bigger sensor can come with 4K, then even more sales will be made
as stated before, I'm happy with the video on the Q7 when I have to use it....but when I'm setting out to do some important video I do it with my NX500
if a 4K Q(small sensor) arrives and I have to carry it and the Q7 then its just another pocket with something in it
If they could make both of us happy at a reasonable price, then that would be good. However, video alone would not sell it to me, and I'm guessing that the video would have to be better than video on current generation Apple and Samsung smart phones in order for the product to be a "big success"; I don't know how hard that would be, what resources it would take, since those phones start off with compelling computing power.
02-24-2016, 06:42 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Show me one of those phones I can put my 1000mm on?

I'm definitely buying that sensor with the action cam,it suits one of my photography needs quite well.Having had 2 & 3(silver)GPs as well as my present el cheapo I can't wait for the release.