Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2016, 01:47 AM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Quick and dirty macro ring

I throught I needed to share this idea. Not good for shooting insects, but here is closeup of SD card adapter, lens used: 5-15/2.8-4.5 at 8 mm

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
03-03-2016, 04:57 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
mmmh... light leaks?
03-03-2016, 08:09 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am starting a slow clap for you.....

This was a great idea. Probably not ideal, but very creative.
03-03-2016, 09:10 AM   #4
Site Supporter

It is quite creative alliumnsk. This reminds me of freelensing or lens whacking which has been discussed here on the PF before. It most often appears to be done with a lens from a larger format and longer back focus than normal lenses for the taking camera. One holds the lens in front of the camera freehand possibly shifting or tilting a little and intentionally introducing light leaks for an ever changing artsy effect.
Your take on this, however, is the first I've seen where a lens from the taking camera is used only to increase magnification. Your method of keeping the lens in place to reduce the variables of freehanding is really inventive. Keeping the magnets fairly small may help contrast reducing light leaks from getting so large they make any photo unusable. As long as it's not overdone maybe you won't need to get some kind of extension tube adapted to the mount.
So have a "ball".

03-03-2016, 09:19 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I'd be a bit concerned about what those super-strong magnets might do to the electronics.
03-04-2016, 07:05 AM - 1 Like   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by From1980 Quote
It is quite creative alliumnsk. This reminds me of freelensing or lens whacking which has been discussed here on the PF before. It most often appears to be done with a lens from a larger format and longer back focus than normal lenses for the taking camera. One holds the lens in front of the camera freehand possibly shifting or tilting a little and intentionally introducing light leaks for an ever changing artsy effect.
Your take on this, however, is the first I've seen where a lens from the taking camera is used only to increase magnification. Your method of keeping the lens in place to reduce the variables of freehanding is really inventive. Keeping the magnets fairly small may help contrast reducing light leaks from getting so large they make any photo unusable. As long as it's not overdone maybe you won't need to get some kind of extension tube adapted to the mount.
So have a "ball".
light leaks might be easily eliminated with black paper, which I didn't do because I am lazy and because I wanted to show leaks aren't that major (there was a window to the left, if it was curtained you wouldn't even see light leaks).

---------- Post added 03-04-16 at 09:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
I'd be a bit concerned about what those super-strong magnets might do to the electronics.
apparently nothing xD
03-04-2016, 07:47 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by alliumnsk Quote
apparently nothing xD
I personally wouldn't bet my gear on it.
03-04-2016, 08:03 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
I personally wouldn't bet my gear on it.
come on, you live in Canada where average social benefits are larger than average salary of skilled worker in Russia LOL

03-04-2016, 08:20 AM   #9
Pentaxian

come on, you live in Canada where average social benefits are larger than average salary of skilled worker in Russia LOL
Let me know if your mercedes floats.
03-04-2016, 08:21 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Do those zircon-encrusted, neodymium magnets repel raindrops and dust? If so, you have a winner! :P

Michael
03-06-2016, 12:04 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Funny but Ouch. I just keep feeling how much more in taxes we pay in order to get some back in those social benefits.