Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-03-2016, 01:13 PM   #1

Q to AF K long lens adaptor idea

I had an idea while looking at my old Photosniper. So let's share it!

Imagine the same style "gunstock" mount. Trigger, the works. Make the stock have an adjustable support to hold the lens when it's attached so you can use any long lens.

Now, add a bellows unit that slides the camera end among a motorized rail to find focus. The lens doesn't have to move, but the lighter camera does.

The grip would probably need is own battery, but i figured it might be an interesting idea.

The question is if it's feasible? Or if there's a simpler way. Don't get me wrong, I love manual focus, but there are times I wish for autofocus.

Last edited by Mothballs; 03-03-2016 at 01:25 PM.
03-03-2016, 01:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The AF 1.7 TC maybe?
03-03-2016, 01:24 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
The AF 1.7 TC maybe?
I do believe the Q does not support
k mount auto focus.

I assumed the Q forum being where this was would be enough to suggest that is what it was for.
03-03-2016, 01:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mothballs Quote
I do believe the Q does not support
k mount auto focus.

I assumed the Q forum being where this was would be enough to suggest that is what it was for.
Oh I see, I thought this thread was a misplaced thread as you don't mention the Q in the first post...

03-03-2016, 01:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This assumes someone notices it's in the Q forum. I came here from Pentax Forums - The Ultimate Resource for Everything Pentax where it's displayed under the "Latest Forum Discussions"
03-03-2016, 01:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Another idea would be to just motorize the MF ring directly?

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
This assumes someone notices it's in the Q forum.
No I knew it was in the Q forum - I just thought it was badly placed...
03-03-2016, 01:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

and ... how would the grip know when the image was in focus? If it was a K body, I could maybe see something where you attach a wire to the focus confirmation LED header, or trick the body into thinking it's an AF lens and have the AF motor indicate to the grip how to move or something.. but not with the q

03-03-2016, 01:40 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Now, add a bellows unit that slides the camera end among a motorized rail to find focus. The lens doesn't have to move, but the lighter camera does.
What about an extra battery in the grip to power the AF? The whole thing would probably be complicated to design, but CDAF should work.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-03-2016, 01:43 PM   #9

Original Poster
and ... how would the grip know when the image was in focus? If it was a K body, I could maybe see something where you attach a wire to the focus confirmation LED header, or trick the body into thinking it's an AF lens and have the AF motor indicate to the grip how to move or something.. but not with the q
As the Q has native auto focus for its mount, i would guess one could piggy back on that.

Failing that, we could possibly bring back a version of the old "AF in the lens" mess from vivitar and pentax's first foray?

I'm just pondering ideas. Been in and out of the ER all week, might be a bit out of it, out there and scattered sounding.

Better than posting drunk!
03-04-2016, 06:18 AM   #10
Forum Member

I have another idea for Pentax. Two sensors in one DSLR body. When user needs teleconverter, they press a button and camera pushes large sensor away and parks small sensor in optical path. Auto stitching with small sensor, producing better quality than pixel-shift superresolution.
03-04-2016, 10:54 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alliumnsk Quote
I have another idea for Pentax. Two sensors in one DSLR body. When user needs teleconverter, they press a button and camera pushes large sensor away and parks small sensor in optical path. Auto stitching with small sensor, producing better quality than pixel-shift superresolution.
aside from all the reasons this would require a completely different camera form factor... how is this more effective than a crop mode, where the camera ignores part of the sensor?
03-04-2016, 01:23 PM   #12
Forum Member

aside from all the reasons this would require a completely different camera form factor... how is this more effective than a crop mode, where the camera ignores part of the sensor?
Why would it require another form factor? It would only increase camera size somewhat (like, 3 mm more thick).
if you crop K1's 36 mp to Q sensor size, you get only about 1 mp and if you use same lens on small Q sensor, you get 12 mp.
03-04-2016, 03:27 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alliumnsk Quote
Why would it require another form factor? It would only increase camera size somewhat (like, 3 mm more thick).
if you crop K1's 36 mp to Q sensor size, you get only about 1 mp and if you use same lens on small Q sensor, you get 12 mp.
Let's see.. You'll need the mechanics to move it around, a place to store it, a way to move either the lens or the sensor to keep the correct registration distance, not to mention the increased complexity in ensuring that the registration distance is exactly precisely correct, when you no longer have the benefit of both sides being completely fixed points in the body.

Maybe in something mirrorless, where you have extra space?
03-08-2016, 12:24 PM   #14
Forum Member

Let's see.. You'll need the mechanics to move it around, a place to store it, a way to move either the lens or the sensor to keep the correct registration distance, not to mention the increased complexity in ensuring that the registration distance is exactly precisely correct, when you no longer have the benefit of both sides being completely fixed points in the body.

Maybe in something mirrorless, where you have extra space?
Why mirrorless would make extra space?

BTW, it's possible to go find substituting sensors not with shifting them, but introducing additional mirror which will redirect light to smaller sensor.
03-08-2016, 02:01 PM   #15
Veteran Member

The question is if it's feasible? Or if there's a simpler way. Don't get me wrong, I love manual focus, but there are times I wish for autofocus.
Didn't Sony or some other company recently make an adapter that gives old manual lenses some sort of AF? Not sure whether it just extends in and out or if there is something more complex going on. But consider the Q's register distance, many lenses could be adapted in that way. Just put that appx. 45mm register distance into an adapter that is slightly flexible, like bellows. Can have its own motor. Would probably need a lot of power from the camera, though.