Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2016, 06:23 AM   #1
Forum Member

Anyone into 3D printing?

I want to make sony E to Q adapter, preferably with shift function. There are lots of models for 3d printed adapters on the internet. But there's something wrong with me, I just fail to get to 3d printing.

03-04-2016, 06:35 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have friends with printers, the materials are all quite different. If it's something you're planning to use on your camera look for a durable plastic. Probably an ABS filament printer. Or rather, look for someone to do the printing for you. The resin type material is too brittle for this work.
03-04-2016, 07:04 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
I've seen even M42-Q models. Well, I am asking for a quite thin adapter, barely thicker than rear lens cap. So it doesn't need to be as strong.
And I am not going to hold heavy lens by camera. For stitching use, lens must be placed on tripod and camera moved.

I am asking to get helped with drawing 3d models first. It's a bit too early to look for printers if I have no ready model yet.
03-04-2016, 08:13 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

your local community college or even library might be a place to start. There are "Maker" clubs all over. Those guys can usually scan a surface then build a matching surface in CAD. They'll have the printers, too.

03-04-2016, 08:43 AM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
If there's a hackerspace near you, you might want to try there too. They will likely have tools to help. You can find one here.
04-05-2016, 11:32 AM   #6

I just got one delivered a few weeks back (Flux Delta - Via kickstarter). So far, not too shabby. This weekend I had the idea of figuring out how to create the many missing lens hoods for various lenses. I was inspired since I recently purchased an FA* 28-70 (without lens hood of course :/ ), that realized 3d printing would be an ideal killer application to solve this problem.

The main issue is just trying to figure out the bayonet specifications without actually having a copy to model off of. (Unless there's some kind volunteer willing to let me borrow one). Otherwise, I'll have to model off of my FA* 85mm mount and reverse engineer the positive mount from the 28-70. Initial plan is to prototype until I get it locked in, but then print the final with some black filament. If we want to get fancy, we can scribe for paint so folks can get creative. Maybe even create (if one doesn't already exist) a repository here for 3d printable accessories.
04-05-2016, 12:01 PM   #7

I was asking myself yesterday if i should buy of not a 3d printer. At school i learned to draw in Catia V5, but it's a long time ago so not sure if i am still able to draw something that fits well. The actual printing process doesn't look to complicated, but the drawing part is the one bugging me.
Any one tried SketchUp for this kind of job ?