Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-12-2016, 12:01 PM   #1

the Q won't turn on

Hello.
So, I have my Q for 2 years now and I have been enjoying it quite a lot. Yesterday however, when I tried to turn it on, it refused to do so. I think I tried everything: different batteries, different cards, no card in the camera, changing the lenses, blowing wind in the battery compartment in case something was messing with the battery etc, all to no avail. And then today, after playing around with all the above options again, at some point it turned on, took pictures as it was supposed to etc. Turned it on and off 3 or 4 times and everything was back to normal. Except that it wasn't. Now, 3 hours later, it refuses to turn on again. The only other thing I noticed lately, was that whenever I changed the battery, it was asking for time and date setting from the start. Any ideas, or anyone experienced something similar before? I don't want to lose my Q, I mean, what am I going to do with the horde of d-mount lenses that I accumulated over the last two year without a Q???
Thanks!

03-12-2016, 01:25 PM - 1 Like   #2
Forum Member

Hello....just a suggestion based on my past experiences: especially if I have left batteries in the camera for a while, the contacts lose their "spring", meaning the are not "pushing" up against the battery ends. Try gently prying them up, just a bit.

This worked with my old istDL after I had tried everything I could find on line with no results.

Good luck,
Bam
03-12-2016, 01:42 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bamtax Quote
the contacts lose their "spring"
Hello Bamtax, thanks for the answer! You mean the metal pins that actually touch the battery poles, right? Not the springs that eject the battery. It is a little hard to get in there, but I gave it a try, no results yet. When you do this, do you positively understand that you actually did pried them up - because I didn't. Anyway, I will keep trying, the fact the it opened at some point might mean that it is a matter of the battery not contacting the pins properly (and yes, it have been in the compartment for some time...)
03-12-2016, 01:54 PM   #4
Forum Member

Yes, though keep in mind I am unfamiliar with the "Q". In the *ist, it was AA's while I understand the q uses a battery pack- so it might not have any bearing in your case.

---------- Post added 03-12-16 at 02:01 PM ----------

In the case of a battery pack, I might suspect the spring has been compressed, as that is what provides the pressure against the contact pins, I believe, and might have been affected most by the battery having been left in.

03-12-2016, 03:04 PM   #5

Original Poster
Yes, though keep in mind I am unfamiliar with the "Q". In the *ist, it was AA's while I understand the q uses a battery pack- so it might not have any bearing in your case.

In the case of a battery pack, I might suspect the spring has been compressed, as that is what provides the pressure against the contact pins, I believe, and might have been affected most by the battery having been left in.
yes, it is a battery pack... I don't think I can do much without opening the camera, which I am a little afraid to do. Maybe I should just take it to some professional to see it... but until then I will keep trying.
03-12-2016, 05:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Take a Q-tip, soak it with alcohol (stronger the better) and clean contacts on both battery and in the battery compartment. After that, leave the fully charged battery in the camera for a while (let's say 10min) without turning it on. If the camera does not work after that there is probably not much you can do yourself, unless you have some serious soldering skills, access to parts and a good quality volt/amper meter.
03-12-2016, 08:49 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Make sure the memory card door is fully closed. If not, the camera won't power up.

03-12-2016, 09:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Dude. No. Just no. At least take the time to google a picture of what the thing looks like before suggesting he do something that could permanently damage his camera and possibly his person.

The only springs in there are the ones to eject the battery. He doesn't need to pry anything up. If the clip that holds the battery in place was broken, he might need to shove a little piece of cardboard in there to make sure the door pushed the battery down far enough, but i'm sure he'd know if that was the case.
03-13-2016, 08:26 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thank you for the answers guys. I tried most of the things suggested here. Cleaning with alcohol didn't help and there is nothing I can pry up in order to make better contact. The battery door is fine and pushes the battery as it should, however I already tried inserting a piece of folded paper to increase the pressure on the battery a little. So I guess what is left is to take it to a shop for some professional help. The fact that it did open up and worked properly at some point gives me some hope... Of course, if anybody has any other suggestions, it will be welcomed!
03-13-2016, 10:29 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rafoarc Quote
Thank you for the answers guys. I tried most of the things suggested here. Cleaning with alcohol didn't help and there is nothing I can pry up in order to make better contact. The battery door is fine and pushes the battery as it should, however I already tried inserting a piece of folded paper to increase the pressure on the battery a little. So I guess what is left is to take it to a shop for some professional help. The fact that it did open up and worked properly at some point gives me some hope... Of course, if anybody has any other suggestions, it will be welcomed!
The only time I've experienced problems like you describe is when the battery is discharged, so in your position I would buy another battery {and the way MILCs go through batteries, you can never have too many of them}
03-13-2016, 10:50 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The only time I've experienced problems like you describe is when the battery is discharged, so in your position I would buy another battery {and the way MILCs go through batteries, you can never have too many of them}
I already have 3 batteries. The original one and 2 after market. So I think it is not a problem of the battery, at least one should be working properly...
03-13-2016, 11:40 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Maybe it's your charger and the batteries aren't getting charged then, do you have a second charger or a good multimeter?

---------- Post added 03-13-16 at 02:45 PM ----------

Oh, I missed the time and date from the start thing. That's a capacitor or internal battery problem iirc.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/116-pentax-k-r/272934-internal-battery-de...-set-date.html
03-13-2016, 12:21 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
That's a capacitor or internal battery problem iirc
thanks narual. However, a dead capacitor would mean that you lose the settings each time you take out your batteries, Does it also mean that the camera can't power on? I mean, when the battery is in place, what is the need for the capacitor?
As for the charger, that not the problem either... when the camera did turn on, it was showing a fully charged battery
03-13-2016, 12:27 PM   #14
Pentaxian

thanks narual. However, a dead capacitor would mean that you lose the settings each time you take out your batteries, Does it also mean that the camera can't power on? I mean, when the battery is in place, what is the need for the capacitor?
As for the charger, that not the problem either... when the camera did turn on, it was showing a fully charged battery
Both my Q-7 and my K-30 lose the time if I leave the battery out "too long" {it doesn't happen when I change batteries, but it does happen if I keep battery out long enough to completely recharge it}, so I wouldn't base any conclusions on loss of time.
03-13-2016, 01:34 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Well, worst case, the q is really cheap used. I don't think I spent more than $120 or so each for the 2 I have. (Well, literally I spent more but I bought them with lenses)

---------- Post added 03-13-16 at 04:36 PM ----------

thanks narual. However, a dead capacitor would mean that you lose the settings each time you take out your batteries
Isn't that precisely what you said it was doing before it failed entirely?