Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2016, 03:57 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Triggrhaapi Quote
...but the big problem I have with the 02 is it's mediocrity
With respect, I'd have to disagree. I'm very happy with my 02 (I own the 01 prime and 06 zoom also, and use various K-mount lenses with the Q-for-K-mount adapter). For best results, I stop mine down a couple of notches from wide open, but then I find the IQ more than satisfactory. Perhaps it's copy variation?

04-26-2016, 04:06 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
With respect, I'd have to disagree. I'm very happy with my 02 (I own the 01 prime and 06 zoom also, and use various K-mount lenses with the Q-for-K-mount adapter). For best results, I stop mine down a couple of notches from wide open, but then I find the IQ more than satisfactory. Perhaps it's copy variation?
Like I said, I have been able to take perfectly lovely photos with it, it's just not mind blowing in any particular way. It's not razor sharp and distortion free, it's also not terrible in any way either. It's just a kit lens.

---------- Post added 04-26-16 at 04:09 PM ----------

For example.
04-26-2016, 04:20 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Triggrhaapi Quote
Like I said, I have been able to take perfectly lovely photos with it, it's just not mind blowing in any particular way. It's not razor sharp and distortion free, it's also not terrible in any way either. It's just a kit lens.
That I would agree with It's certainly not mind-blowing - though I find it sharp enough that a gentle tweak in post processing (Lightroom and/or Google Nik Sharpener Pro 3) yields sharpness as good as that from the 06. Distortion is pretty much irrelevant if you're doing any kind of post-processing, too. I think it's way above mediocre... but that's just my personal view. Like I said, maybe I got lucky with mine
04-28-2016, 11:29 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you’ve followed these threads for a while it become apparent that those of us using the Q7 are getting more favorable results from the 02 lens than those using the Q or Q10. This leads me to believe that the 02 was specifically designed to work with the 1.7 sensor and when that was not available for the early Q’s then it failed to perform well when coupled to the smaller sensor. When I had a Q a Q10 and the Q7 here I found the 02 churned out better images when used with the Q7. At least that was my findings and I had several 02’s here at the same time with both performing the same.

04-29-2016, 06:31 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Regardless of the size of sensor you use it on,
the 02 performs noticeably worse at the tele end,
and at any focal length at a close focus distance.

It looks better on the Q7 because the bigger 12MP sensor
is less demanding than the smaller 12MP sensor
in the "crop sensor" (original) Q and Q10.
04-29-2016, 03:51 PM   #21

Photos: Gallery
I do want to upgrade to the Q7 soon. Now that I have an 08 on the way, I will probably do that next.