Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-19-2016, 03:39 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Date/time issue

I noticed when I remove the battery to recharge it, that I have lost the date, time. Today I took some photos without updating the date/time and found that I could not resize the images. I then entered the date/time; took another photo, and this one was able to be resized! Quite a little quirk that I wouldn't have expected. I'm definitely ordering a couple more batteries, so that I'll have a charged one to put right in, while charging one, hoping this will eliminate having to re-enter the date/time info.

Just thought this was interesting.

03-20-2016, 11:51 AM   #2

I had the same issue with my Q10 - I have currently sent it back for repair because it is 13 month old only (German warranty 2 years).

I am currently waiting for an answer/a repaired camera!
03-20-2016, 02:18 PM   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I read somewhere, that if you leave the battery out for a length of time, such as charging the battery, that it does indeed lose the date/time info. This is what I did, as I currently only have one battery. Now that I'm aware that it also causes not being able to resize photos taken when you don't update the date/time; no problem. When I get my spare batteries, I'll be able to switch to another momentarily, I'll see if this happens then.
03-21-2016, 11:16 AM   #4

Servce answer: No error found ....

03-21-2016, 11:53 AM - 1 Like   #5
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm wondering if this is simply an "oddity" with the Q's. I'll be ordered extra batteries in a day or two, and will see if this happens when I insert a fresh battery immediately, after removing one to charge.

Thanks for letting me know that the service found no problem; that's why I'm thinking it's just something we have to live with, if we leave a battery out of the camera for any length of time.
03-21-2016, 01:01 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Carol I have the same issue with my K-01. If I leave the battery out for a day it looses the date and time. Sometimes if I go a long time without using it the date will be off even with a battery in it. I have never found a fix and I have the latest firmware in it. I try to remember to check the date when I use it but forget sometimes. If I want to change the date I do it in Lightroom. I Elements can adust the date and time as well.
03-21-2016, 01:09 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
We have a total of 5 Qs in the house, 2 original, 1 Q10, 1 Q7 and 1 QS1. We make sure that there is ALWAYS a charged battery in the camera and when taking a battery out for charging another goes in right away. We have never had a problem with loosing Date-time settings on any of the cameras.

03-21-2016, 02:22 PM   #8
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
We have a total of 5 Qs in the house, 2 original, 1 Q10, 1 Q7 and 1 QS1. We make sure that there is ALWAYS a charged battery in the camera and when taking a battery out for charging another goes in right away. We have never had a problem with loosing Date-time settings on any of the cameras.
That is why I'm buying extra batteries. Right now, I only have one, so no choice but to leave the battery out while charging. What I was surprised at, that I could not resize images taken with the Q without the date/time updated! That seemed very strange!
03-21-2016, 02:24 PM   #9
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Michael, it's not only having to reset the date, etc., but as I said above; when this happens until I update the info on the Q; I can no longer resize my images taken before updating.
03-21-2016, 02:50 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I'm wondering if this is simply an "oddity" with the Q's. I'll be ordered extra batteries in a day or two, and will see if this happens when I insert a fresh battery immediately, after removing one to charge.
I had exactly the same thing happen {time loss - I haven't tried resizing} when I left the battery out of my K-30 for a day, so now my SOP for both cameras is to put a recharged battery into the camera as part of the action of taking a battery out to recharge {and then I immediately check the date, which is also double-checks that the newly inserted battery is ready to go}

Last edited by reh321; 03-21-2016 at 03:41 PM.
03-21-2016, 03:01 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Michael, it's not only having to reset the date, etc., but as I said above; when this happens until I update the info on the Q; I can no longer resize my images taken before updating.
That is strange. Are these JPEG files? I always shoot RAW so that may be why I have seen this issue.
03-21-2016, 03:14 PM   #12
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes, JPEG. After I put the recharged battery in, and adjusted the date/time; took another picture, and that one I could resize. Since then, no problem. Without the updating of info, a resized picture would not show, and Windows photo gallery said the resized one could not be opened because "it was an empty file".
03-21-2016, 03:19 PM   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

What a bizarre little problem, Carol. I'll have to try that out with my Q7, just for curiosity's sake! This is in-camera resizing, right? I mean, you can resize the image if you download it to the PC and use image processing software, yes?
03-21-2016, 03:31 PM   #14
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Nope, downloaded from SD card to computer, then I resize on the computer. This is when I discovered that I can't resize until I update the info.
03-21-2016, 03:46 PM   #15
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Nope, downloaded from SD card to computer, then I resize on the computer. This is when I discovered that I can't resize until I update the info.
Wow, that is *weird*... what software did you use, out of interest? Will the image display at all? If no, then it sounds like there may be a bug in the Q's firmware such that it isn't completing a valid JPEG file write unless certain information is set in the camera...