Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2016, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #1

New owner’s path to the Pentax Q-S1. What was your path?

I got the DS around 2006. I loved that camera. I upgraded to the K‑7 but for whatever reason never felt the love. The wife has taken it over as I went with the K‑01 when the Amazon deal was $315.00 which also included a lens. I like the K‑01 a lot just not sure that I love it like the DS. The reason I went with the Q-S1 was the reach. Last fall the farmer who owns the land across the road pushed back the overgrown trees and brush and gave us a open field 250 + yards to the woods view. Doing the month of January we saw deer almost every day with some days seeming herds of 30 or so. Bucks group up 6 and 7 at a time. I have a Tamron 400mm f4 that could not give a fair photos across an open field that was 250 + yards to the woods. When the bucks group up I could not make out if the buck was a 8 or maybe a 10 point. Same was with the 4 and 6 points. A hawk would land up in the trees and I could only make out that it had a white underbelly and that that it was dark on its back. Still testing The Q-S1 so I am still not sure that it will do what I want but being to think that it will. The photos are of a cat chasing a bee and taken with a Fa. 77mm

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q-S1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q-S1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q-S1  Photo 
04-21-2016, 04:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ladale welcome to the Q! Shooting a moving cat with 77Ltd. manually focused is not easy. Very well done.

My Quest started years ago with two of the 3 lens Pentax Auto 110 kits. I already had 35mm slr cameras. Found the 110's fun to play with. Even have a Kodak Carousel 110 projector. Fast forward many years later, and it virtually impossible to buy fresh 110 or Minox spy camera film. My fun subminature camera shooting was grinding to a halt. Then the Pentax Q was announced. Bough the first one that came in the store.

Originally bought the Q for fun and a carry it every where camera. Then I found out how powerful the Q was when attached to a large SLR lens. I was getting more wildlife shots than ever. It is now my 2nd or 3rd most used camera from a batch of 15 digital cameras. Amazing. Still using the original Q. Would like to add a newer Q7, Q-Si, or Q...
Thanks
barondla
04-24-2016, 07:01 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Ladale welcome to the Q! Shooting a moving cat with 77Ltd. manually focused is not easy. Very well done.

My Quest started years ago with two of the 3 lens Pentax Auto 110 kits. I already had 35mm slr cameras. Found the 110's fun to play with. Even have a Kodak Carousel 110 projector. Fast forward many years later, and it virtually impossible to buy fresh 110 or Minox spy camera film. My fun subminature camera shooting was grinding to a halt. Then the Pentax Q was announced. Bough the first one that came in the store.
It may have been an overstatement on my part when I said that the photos was of a cat chasing a bee. It was more a case of a cat making a leak at the bee and me then catching the cat twitching in place following the bee’s movement while waiting for the next leap.

I can see myself buying different adapters to try different lenses. I had a set of Pentax Auto 110 lens a while back. I picked up the lenses and camera as the price was right but later sold without doing anything with them. Would like to give them a try of the chance comes around again. I have look at photos taken with the lenses and it seems as if the 18mm stands out among the rest. Or is that just me.
04-25-2016, 04:39 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ladale, shooting any animal is difficult with manual focus on the Q. You did well. I know many people that can't focus the Q that well.

The 110 lens used the most is the 50mm. I leave a Lensbaby aperture disc (f11) in the Q to 110 adapter. This closes the lens down 1 stop to f4. The discs press fit into the adapter and stay put. Need to shoot the 18, and 24 more. Especially with the Pentax closeup filters.
Thanks
barondla