Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2016, 08:07 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Screw-in cap on lens shade 01

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

How do you keep from dropping, losing this tiny screw-in cap for the lens shade? I was thinking of getting one of those "cap keepers" (UGH), but think it would be difficult to screw it in/out with the cord hanging on it. I know if I drop it in deep grass or weeds, it's gone forever.

Suggestions welcomed!

04-22-2016, 08:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Is the screwing in the problem?

Then something like this will help:
Sensei 40.5mm Clip-On Lens Cap LCC-40.5 B&H Photo Video
04-22-2016, 08:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Oh, it's the size...
I have the same problem with my 40 XS cap.
I'd also like suggestions

Maybe paint with highly reflective paint?
04-22-2016, 09:07 AM   #4
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Oh, it's the size...
I have the same problem with my 40 XS cap.
I'd also like suggestions

Maybe paint with highly reflective paint?
Perhaps start another thread, as this is for the Q, which is an entirely different lens cap from the XS.

"Is the screwing in the problem?

Then something like this will help:"

Sensei 40.5mm Clip-On Lens Cap LCC-40.5 B&H Photo Video

No, that is not the problem, and clip on's will not work.

04-22-2016, 10:03 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
C, This is a solution I've used for a long time.

Drill one or two small holes (1/32nd inch?), a paper clip or flexible wire (bend tabs inside), a dab of epoxy - and of course something to clip it to.

Softer thread/cord's more unobtrusive but harder to manipulate -- stiffer loops are easier.

I haven't yet, but I wouldn't hesitate to do the same to my metal caps because it's been so useful.

No one who's 'inherited' one of my modified caps has complained about the modification. One person prefers a neck lanyard with a snap latch rather than the neck strap.

(I'd never noticed it before but there's a sensor plane index mark next to the right hand attachment lug.)

And if 'clip ons' are desired try a 40.5 > ?? step up ring to suit the situation. The SU ring plus a few 'empty' filter ring make nice custom lens shades too.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 

Last edited by pacerr; 04-22-2016 at 10:10 AM.
04-22-2016, 10:21 AM   #6
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions, pacerr! I might try a step-up ring so that I could then use my clip-on cap. I'll do some searching as to the size I need for a step-up ring. This screw-in cap is so small, I'd hesitate to drill thru it, and try to attach anything to it.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
04-22-2016, 10:39 AM   #7
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
It looks like I'd need a 25mm to 40.5mm step up ring. Can't seem to find any.

04-22-2016, 10:53 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Religiously observed habit -- removed lens cap goes to left front trouser pocket. That's all that works for me.
04-22-2016, 10:59 AM   #9
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sometimes in the summer I have no pockets; so would not work for me, and that little bitty cap is so wanting to get lost. Plus it's a pain to have to unscrew/screw it, as there are many threads, so takes time. Winter, with gloves, forget it, as it's way to small. I have small hands, but still have a problem working this cap.
04-22-2016, 10:59 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
It looks like I'd need a 25mm to 40.5mm step up ring. Can't seem to find any.
Or this?
25mm Camera Lens Cap | eBay
04-22-2016, 12:46 PM   #11
Veteran Member

The Q 01 lens shade and cap is cool to look at but a real pita to use when outside. It takes forever to remove the cap and sometimes the whole assembly comes off instead of just the cap. You can leave the shade on without the screw on cap but the amount of separation between the rim of the lens shade and the front element is quite small and may make you nervous carrying the camera/lens around uncapped.

Here is my solution: Sliver 40 5mm Curved Vented Lens Hood Metal F Leica 40 5 Thread Filter Lens DSLR | eBay Before leaving home, unscrew the 01's lens shade and screw on this eBay lens hood (or similar). The separation between the front element and the rim of the lens shade is significantly longer than the 01's oem lens shade and should offer good enough protection of the front element. When you come home, dust off the front element with a rocket blower, put on the oem shade/cap assembly and put the lens away.
04-22-2016, 01:29 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Well, if appearance doesn't matter too much, put some velcro (sharp side) inside it, and some velcro (fuzzy side) on an empty spot on teh camera body beside the lens and you can stick it to the camera.
04-22-2016, 02:06 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

CSA buy a standard 25mm snap cap. Put a capkeeper on it and you are done. I have used the snap caps and they work fine. My only problem with them is jamming the Q in jeans pockets. Sometimes the cap gets knocked off. That never happens with the metal screw in cap.

To make the metal cap Quicker to use, some people put a O ring or rubber band on the treads. This limits the # of turns required to put on or remove the cap.
Thanks
barondla
04-22-2016, 02:17 PM   #14
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Well, if appearance doesn't matter too much, put some velcro (sharp side) inside it, and some velcro (fuzzy side) on an empty spot on teh camera body beside the lens and you can stick it to the camera.
Appearance is very important to me. The Q is in mint condition, and I want it to remain that way if possible.
04-22-2016, 02:18 PM   #15
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'll give the "O" ring a try, and if I'm not happy, I'll order the 25mm snap cap.

Thanks all. I'll report later how things worked out!