Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
04-24-2016, 02:01 PM - 3 Likes   #1

Photo critique on why this photo is so unreal looking

I took this photo with a Tamron 400mm f4. I shot in raw. I did not do a lot while processing just slid exposure to the right, fill light, contrast curve, click white for balance and sharpened. I may have bump the saturation a little as I do not remember if I did or did not.

I ran the raw file thru Pentax Digital Camera Utility 5 first but when I did not like the jpeg output I converted the file to tiff and then ran the tiff file thru Aftershot Pro 2. Aftershot Pro 2 does not recognize the Q-S1 raw file which is the reason.

Is this just a case of me not getting good focus and trying to make a bad photo work? The photo looks like it came out of a bird book on identify a bird and not a true photo.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q-S1  Photo 
04-24-2016, 02:05 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The plain background makes it stand out a bit unnaturally, perhaps.
04-24-2016, 02:25 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The contrast between the colors of the sparrow and the background have produced a really lovely, almost painterly, image. I like it.
04-24-2016, 03:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The picture is very good for my taste. Well done!

04-24-2016, 03:24 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ladale Quote
I took this photo with a Tamron 400mm f4. I shot in raw. I did not do a lot while processing just slid exposure to the right, fill light, contrast curve, click white for balance and sharpened. I may have bump the saturation a little as I do not remember if I did or did not.

I ran the raw file thru Pentax Digital Camera Utility 5 first but when I did not like the jpeg output I converted the file to tiff and then ran the tiff file thru Aftershot Pro 2. Aftershot Pro 2 does not recognize the Q-S1 raw file which is the reason.

Is this just a case of me not getting good focus and trying to make a bad photo work? The photo looks like it came out of a bird book on identify a bird and not a true photo.
Apply for a patent!
04-24-2016, 04:06 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The picture does look like a painted picture on a piece of natural canvas.

I like it!

The .dng raw files should open in Aftershot pro 2. Does the QS1 have an option for raw file output choices of PEF or DNG?
04-24-2016, 04:37 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ladale Quote

I posted pictures of a similar-looking bird as #5016 in https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/172196-lets-share-shots-q-335.html#post3617200. The main differences I see is that mine is less saturated and has a natural (bokeh) background

04-24-2016, 05:54 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think you would expect a blue background (sky)
04-24-2016, 06:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

It looks to me like Japanese art. Simple and elegant composition. I like it. Nice effort.
04-25-2016, 12:21 AM   #10

I fully agree with Broo. This picture is noteworthy and unique.
04-25-2016, 04:57 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

I had one shot last week turn out similar to yours. Like you I thought it looked clipped and pasted from another pic. It isn't. There was just a very strong back-light and this is a heavy crop.
04-25-2016, 05:47 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Looks to me like a combination of backlit, heavy cropping and soft focus. It happens especially with older softer lenses. I returned a Sigma 120-400 that turned every image taken at a distance into an image like that. They all looked like they'd been run through the Photoshop watercolour filter.
04-25-2016, 07:20 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
The plain background makes it stand out a bit unnaturally, perhaps.
Yes the plain background does make it stand out but how about the painted look?

---------- Post added 04-25-2016 at 10:23 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
The contrast between the colors of the sparrow and the background have produced a really lovely, almost painterly, image. I like it.
I like it but not so sure when you called it a photo.

---------- Post added 04-25-2016 at 10:27 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bm75 Quote
The picture is very good for my taste. Well done!
Thank you but I’m sure I did not do anything on purpose here
04-25-2016, 07:27 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Looks to me like a combination of backlit, heavy cropping and soft focus. It happens especially with older softer lenses. I returned a Sigma 120-400 that turned every image taken at a distance into an image like that. They all looked like they'd been run through the Photoshop watercolour filter.
The OP's or mine Norm? Mine used a DA*200 2.8, 1/2500 F4.5 and ISO 800 due to the dense shadows where the bird was hiding .... and then VERY-heavily cropped with some obvious level adjustments.
04-25-2016, 07:31 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Apply for a patent!
Can only wish I could but I have small chance of duplicating

---------- Post added 04-25-2016 at 10:37 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I posted pictures of a similar-looking bird as #5016 in https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/172196-lets-share-shots-q-335.html#post3617200. The main differences I see is that mine is less saturated and has a natural (bokeh) background
I looked at your photo and profile and see that you’re in South Bend, IN. As I’m in southwest Michigan about 40 miles away I think there is a very good chance that it is a similar if not the same type of bird.

---------- Post added 04-25-2016 at 10:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote

I like it!

The .dng raw files should open in Aftershot pro 2. Does the QS1 have an option for raw file output choices of PEF or DNG?
Thank you. I looked at the cameras list that was supported in Aftershot Pro 2 and the Q, Q10, and Q7 was listed but not the Q-S1. I have Aftershot Pro and when it would not open the file I tried a trial of Aftershot Pro 2. I will have to check if the Q-S1 has an option for raw file output choices of PEF or DNG as I do not know.

---------- Post added 04-25-2016 at 10:47 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote

I like it!

Thank you. I looked at the cameras list that was supported in Aftershot Pro 2 and the Q, Q10, and Q7 was listed but not the Q-S1. I have Aftershot Pro and when it would not open the file I tried a trial of Aftershot Pro 2. I will have to check if the Q-S1 has an option for raw file output choices of PEF or DNG as I do not know.

---------- Post added 04-25-2016 at 10:51 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
I think you would expect a blue background (sky)
I have no explanation other than the field behind the bird is heavy with sand.

---------- Post added 04-25-2016 at 10:53 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
It looks to me like Japanese art. Simple and elegant composition. I like it. Nice effort.
Thank you but small effort on my part

---------- Post added 04-25-2016 at 10:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by J-L SALVIGNOL Quote
I fully agree with Broo. This picture is noteworthy and unique.
Thank you for looking. I find it very interesting that so many like it

---------- Post added 04-25-2016 at 10:59 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I had one shot last week turn out similar to yours. Like you I thought it looked clipped and pasted from another pic. It isn't. There was just a very strong back-light and this is a heavy crop.
Yes a similar look. I did not remember cropping and surely I did not do a heavy crop.