Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
04-27-2016, 05:59 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From K to Q ?

I have a K200D and a K7 plus various lenses and I'm find they are getting heavier and heavier as I get older, carrying them around is making photography a lot less enjoyable than it was.

I have a Q10 with 02 and 06 lenses, the image quality is quite satisfactory for what I do so I'm wondering about abandoning the K system, upgrading to a Q7 for the better image quality, purchasing the 01 as I like prime lenses and then maybe the 08 and hopefully being happy again.

I have tried the Q10 with longer lenses via an adapter and to be quite honest I didn't like it, mainly because of having to lug a tripod around which defeats the principle of lightweight mobility, I wouldn't mind if there was to be a fully coupled longer lens than the 06 sometime in the future.

So am I nuts.

CD

04-27-2016, 06:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like a good plan. Another system to consider is something like Sony a5000, with K adapter. Its still quite small, especially with Pentax Limited lenses, and has APSC sensor (and while most Sony lenses are quite big, there are some small ones as well).
The Q system would be easy to recommend some time ago, but recently there have been some doubts about whether the system will be discontinued. So if you will be satisfied with the current Q lineup, maybe some adapted C or other lenses, then go for it. If you want new Q lenses to be released.. that might not happen anytime soon. Its a shame these rumours appeared, but it is something to consider.
04-27-2016, 06:30 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the Q, and for many purposes it's fine. For some things like really quick macro work it's unsuitable. That's chasing insects etc, not just still life. The Q is quite good at close photography.

The -01 is a great little lens, though. It turns the Q into something like a rangefinder. You hardly need to use the LCD for focusing, you can actually get pretty adept at shooting by feel.
04-27-2016, 07:00 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
No, you are not nuts. The Q's winning point is not the small size of body but the minuscule lenses that attach to it. Considering how sharp the 01 and 06 are and the IQ you get out of that little tiny sensor, the Q is an excellent little (literally) system.

I know some may be tired of me saying this, but u4/3 is the verge of overtaking APS in terms of IQ and even performance in some ways. The bodies can be nearly as small as a Q and the lenses are smaller than APS. You could switch over to u4/3 and then add a K-1 or whatever Ricoh may be offering for FF. FF will run circles around u4/3 for some time yet. This is what I plan to do. Q, u4/3, and FF K-mount. I'll keep my K-3 for camera-scanning my film.

04-27-2016, 07:54 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PenPusher Quote
So am I nuts.
Nope. But there's a way to ease the transition.

Once you think of the Q gear as an integrated SYSTEM and customize it to suit your needs it makes good sense. Also consider how much time and accommodation you've put into the DSLR's and allocate the same to the Q to feel comfortable and competent with it.

IME, the Q7 sensor 'upgrade' is significant if abandoning the APS-C format and the investment in the 08 lens made a big difference for me. I can comfortably travel with the Q7, 03, 06 and 08 lenses, three batteries and +4 & +10 close-up filters and not feel I'm missing anything today. It helped to begin to rely more on AF too. If only it had a .9 meg LCD screen...but battery life would take a big hit.

Also consider a smaller notebook or tablet for PP-ing and fun pix display as an integral part of a compact travel kit. My Q7-kit has about one fourth the size, weight and energy footprint as the APS-C equivalent gear.

Last edited by pacerr; 04-27-2016 at 08:00 AM.
04-27-2016, 08:45 AM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I like the Q, and for many purposes it's fine. For some things like really quick macro work it's unsuitable. That's chasing insects etc, not just still life. The Q is quite good at close photography.

The -01 is a great little lens, though. It turns the Q into something like a rangefinder. You hardly need to use the LCD for focusing, you can actually get pretty adept at shooting by feel.
you can do quick macro with the wide angle toy lens ... but I guess a regular old P&S could do it without changing lenses.
04-27-2016, 08:53 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So...who will be the first to try reversing one of the Q lenses?

04-27-2016, 09:48 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Sounds reasonable to me. There's nothing wrong with abandoning the K-system for a Q-system if it works for you. Heinrich Lohmann on this forum has been posting some amazing images taken with his Q-S1. I actually want to get a couple of Q-S1s along with the 01, 02, 06, & 08 lenses for when my wife & I want to travel lightly, but still get really good images.
04-27-2016, 11:04 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PenPusher Quote
I have a K200D and a K7 plus various lenses and I'm find they are getting heavier and heavier as I get older, carrying them around is making photography a lot less enjoyable than it was.

I have a Q10 with 02 and 06 lenses, the image quality is quite satisfactory for what I do so I'm wondering about abandoning the K system, upgrading to a Q7 for the better image quality, purchasing the 01 as I like prime lenses and then maybe the 08 and hopefully being happy again.

I have tried the Q10 with longer lenses via an adapter and to be quite honest I didn't like it, mainly because of having to lug a tripod around which defeats the principle of lightweight mobility, I wouldn't mind if there was to be a fully coupled longer lens than the 06 sometime in the future.

So am I nuts.

CD
No, you are totally normal.

I bought my Q-7 in December 2014 to supplement my then-primary camera, a Canon Rebel.

The Rebel unexpectedly died in May 2015, but by then the Q-7 had totally proved itself, so I used the Q-7 full-time until I found a new-like-used K-30 to replace the Rebel.
If the Q-7 had been equipped with a viewfinder, I might not have bought the K-30, the Q-7 is that good, but my habits require a viewfinder.
04-27-2016, 11:25 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
No, you are not nuts. The Q's winning point is not the small size of body but the minuscule lenses that attach to it. Considering how sharp the 01 and 06 are and the IQ you get out of that little tiny sensor, the Q is an excellent little (literally) system.

I know some may be tired of me saying this, but u4/3 is the verge of overtaking APS in terms of IQ and even performance in some ways. The bodies can be nearly as small as a Q and the lenses are smaller than APS. You could switch over to u4/3 and then add a K-1 or whatever Ricoh may be offering for FF. FF will run circles around u4/3 for some time yet. This is what I plan to do. Q, u4/3, and FF K-mount. I'll keep my K-3 for camera-scanning my film.
I'm right there. I have a gx7 Panasonic and I can put it (a largish m43 and five lenses in a bag with tons of room left that holds a k3 and two extra lenses. With zero room left. I can also carry body plus two lenses in a pouch that I can't fit the k3 into.

Most of the time I use my k3 but there are times the gx7 works better.

The q isn't significantly different in approach to the m4:3 other than the level of choices.
04-27-2016, 04:17 PM   #11

Photos: Gallery
i would keep a dslr or equiv for going outside because sometimes you will need a viewfinder in bright conditions.
04-27-2016, 04:46 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by HudsonShooter Quote
i would keep a dslr or equiv for going outside because sometimes you will need a viewfinder in bright conditions.
I agree 100%. I bought a Hoodman clone as soon as I bought the Q-7, and its availability is one of the things that contributed to the Q-7's being a reasonable backup for my primary camera.
04-27-2016, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've got the Q7 Premium Kit -- plus 03 lens, AF205FG flash, Hoodman, PK adapter, and a few other little extras. . . I love the Q system, and I'll never give it up. I've been using it heavily, and I found it can actually meet a large portion of my needs. So, I don't think it is "nuts" to use a Q7 as your primary system camera, or even necessarily as your only one.

There are some moments when it does irk me, though.

I think what I miss the most is a viewfinder (any kind of viewfinder!) and tilting LCD panel. Those would make shooting much more convenient under varied conditions. My Olympus E-M5 has both of those features, impressive image quality, and it's very responsive -- feels like driving a sports car. However, it's a larger and more expensive system than the Q7, obviously. The E-M5 is a bit smaller than the classic 35mm film SLR it resembles. So, it's more portable than a DSLR. Although, I think a Pentax K-S1 with a set of Limited lenses would not be much more bulky?
04-27-2016, 06:14 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Q system is great fun. I went from Q10 to Q7 and find it was worth the upgrade. I have one of the smallest Lowpro bags and can fit my Q7, 01,02,06 lenses, 5 batteries, mini tripod, CPl, remote, and a "Hoodman" in its case clipped on the side, all in a space that only holds my K7 or K50 with kit lens attached =). When walking around town its so nice to just whip out the little camera and grab no ones attention. The photo detail is amazing from the Q.
On ebay you buy a view finder from old 35mm camera but its only good for the 01 lens. My next buy will be the 08 lens, I will be set and still not need a bigger bag.
04-28-2016, 01:44 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you for your kind replies, I’m relieved to know I haven’t yet gone totally round the bend.

I’ve been mulling over your suggestions, firstly I’ve been aware for some time that a new model of the Q is, shall we say “overdue”, I’ve been putting this down to all the fuss over the K1’s launch and the fact that, as far as I know, Ricoh never had a very large R & D department, so they probably can’t do everything at once.

Furthermore 4 models of the Q with sound 01, 02, 06 and 08 lenses represents quite an investment for the company and unless sales have been catastrophic I would thing abandonment of the system is unlikely. Having said that of course, Ricoh appear to have abandoned their equally expensive GXR system which I never thought was a runner anyway.

So who knows, but in any event the Q cameras will probably last longer than I will.

I have looked at the Sony E mount range and the Fuji X mount plus Olympus / Panasonic m4/3 and I didn’t want to go down that route because there are too many tempting lenses. Interestingly enough there now appears to be a Pentax to Fuji X adapter which will allow use of the DA lenses without aperture ring but I could not find enough information to evaluate it.

As regards macro with the Q series, I think Pinholecam has proved that it is very capable in this respect.

I note that some of you consider the Q7 to be a worthwhile upgrade, it’s a great pity that they did not improve the screen which is not great by anybodies standard, I’ve added one of those fold down hoods to mine which has made some improvement.

On looking through the Q’s images on this forum I have been surprised at the number of shots taken with the 03 fisheye, which I had thought was in the “toy” group, I shall have to think about that lens again.

Kind Regards

CD