Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2016, 09:35 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have Q7 or QS1 but still use Original Q?

I am curious how many people who use the newer models still have and use the Original Q. There was some discussion of this when the Q7 came out but I wonder what the situation is now. I have come and gone and come again to Q since near the beginning. I think I am back to stay this time I have the Q7 again and love it more than ever.

05-01-2016, 09:53 AM   #2
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In the future I plan on a Q7, and will keep my original Q as a backup. I love the Q!
05-01-2016, 10:24 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought several Q/02 kits on closeout as Christmas gifts for my wife and children - some still use them, others just use their phones now. I also gave away my personal copy when I got the Q7 from a member here.

Then - Huzzah! - I found I had put one last closeout kit aside on the top shelf of my closet. I actually use it more than my Q7 just because it is so much fun, and people always ask about it.
05-01-2016, 11:34 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Had a Q but ended up with two Q7's for standardization and, IME, slightly better IQ for how I use 'em.

But as for handling and build qualities? It was like going from a classic ol' Spotmatic to a K1000 - satisfactory but just not quite the same.

Now a Q with the .9 meg LCD screen . . .

05-02-2016, 11:05 AM   #5

I traded off pretty evenly between my Q & Q7 until I got my second Q7 in white on white. So pretty! LOVE the build quality, classic style and feel of the original, but now my Q7 wins out much more often. But a tiny piece of my heart mourns every time the original Q is left at home.

CJsk8mom
05-02-2016, 12:38 PM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I've had a Q7 for about a year (I think) and really love it. Then, recently, I've been sorting through a bunch of storage boxes and re-discovered the original Q I'd bought back in 2012. I've been using it a little over the last few days, and I'm having a blast with it. The smaller sensor doesn't hold up that well in terms of luminance and chrominance noise - at least, not compared to the one in the Q7; but it's amazing what can be done with a little post-processing on the RAW files. And although I like the Q7's build quality, the Q just looks and feels... "gorgeous" I intend to keep both cameras and use them interchangeably as the mood takes me
05-02-2016, 11:44 PM   #7

I'm still using both side by side - esp. in times when I don't want to Change the lens but simply take the other camera.
It's true:
IQ the Q7 is better
Build quality the original Q is better - and the IQ satisfatoring when there is enough light....

05-03-2016, 12:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have 2 Q7's and a black Q, the Q mostly collects dust as dose one of my slightly damages Q7's. I find the IQ between the Q7 and my Canon S100 almost identical and the S100 is easier to carry. Now the Q7 is only used to adapt long tele's and I am looking at a Lumix DMC GM5 because of the larger sensor and the finder.
05-09-2016, 04:37 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I have a Q and a Q7. I use them both about equally.

I do prefer the little ergonomic improvements on the Q7 like the slightly raised surface on the buttons. But the Q feels sturdier with the magnesium body.

As for image quality, the Q7 is technically better (which is why I bought it of course) but I can get excellent 13x19 prints from the Q files. I guess I have just given up worrying about those things and just use the camera.

I am pretty happy with both cameras just the way they are now. Once in awhile I think I would like an EVF but I am afraid that a decent one would greatly increase the size of the camera, which I absolutely do not want.
05-09-2016, 04:52 PM   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
As for image quality, the Q7 is technically better (which is why I bought it of course) but I can get excellent 13x19 prints from the Q files. I guess I have just given up worrying about those things and just use the camera.
I couldn't agree more, and that extends to the DSLR world too. Unless we're talking about really high ISO and/or very large prints, the IQ from most high quality modern cameras is plenty good When pixel-peeping, I do notice the difference between my various cameras, but used within reasonable limits they're all capable of producing great images, and that includes the original Q.
05-09-2016, 05:05 PM - 1 Like   #11
Staff Writer

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I am curious how many people who use the newer models still have and use the Original Q. There was some discussion of this when the Q7 came out but I wonder what the situation is now. I have come and gone and come again to Q since near the beginning. I think I am back to stay this time I have the Q7 again and love it more than ever.
I often shoot the 08 on my Q7 and the 06 on my Q. Gives me maximum wide and maximum telephoto.

Cjf
05-09-2016, 05:07 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
I am looking at a Lumix DMC GM5 because of the larger sensor and the finder.

A small high quality tool, saves carrying a loupe too.I considered GM5 too but opted for GM1(250 saved).I have to carry a loupe for the bright days but have a flatter profile going in and out of my pocket when the body cap lens is on.
Both are very good, but image Q ratings are very close to the Q7, M43 has the advantage of the lens selection without an adapter.The touch screen is a major advantage as well.
The next generation GM will probably shoot 4K, stills and video & is worth waiting for(for me).If you don't need that capability the GM5 is the go.

---------- Post added 05-10-16 at 11:10 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I am curious how many people who use the newer models still have and use the Original Q

Its got stereo speakers, picks up sounds better.However I cant fault the sound pickup from the Q7 either.
05-09-2016, 05:14 PM   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
The touch screen is a major advantage as well.
Honestly, I'm not a big fan of touch screens - and not just in photography equipment. I don't know why, but I like buttons - preferably one per function, but if not, a shallow menu system is OK for the less common operations. Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I'm happy with a view-only screen
05-09-2016, 05:36 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Yes,Mike, I can cope too because I have to with antiquated equipment.Each to their own but the convenience just makes doing things many times faster.I just wouldn't buy Sony due to no TS, even though, what they are doing is right up there.I make an exception with the K1 due to the quality and versatility it has in certain areas( and I'm used to the gr8 Pentax MENU).Traditionalist wont change, just like those different spots on that leopard I'm trying to shoot!
05-23-2016, 02:39 PM   #15

I still shoot with the original Q, and when they make another Q of the same level of quality as mine, with the larger sensor, I will buy it. Right now I'm happy with my camera.