Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2016, 10:46 AM   #1

08 lens - do I need it?

I want it...you know I do! But do I need it? Please convince me - I've got two Q7's, one original Q, and at least one of every other lens. But the 08 is more than I paid for any of my bodies-with a lens or two. LOVE my Q's as a purse cam, car cam and travel cam, but it's not my main cam, man, and I'm kinda hoping to be talked out of dropping the extra cash!

What say you, wise 08 owners?

05-02-2016, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I bought the 08 from a Japanese seller on Amazon. It's a fun lens to play with because it offers such a wide view ... but it's my least used lens. I use the 06, 01, and 02 lens in that order. Wide angle photography just isn't my thing, I guess. Think about what shots you may have missed because you didn't have a super wide field of view. Then ask if that quantity is worth the $$. Instead of thinking of the shot you missed and how many $$/shot you are willing to pay to get it you can think about the shot you *can* get with what you have. I don't regret the purchase and I still play with the lens but I wouldn't kick down a barn for it.
05-02-2016, 11:02 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't own a q - but the answer to all - should I buy this lens questions is "yes". LOL. In all seriousness the answer above is on track. Do you like wide angle - if so you need it. If you don't and you want to be sure you have all bases covered - you need it. If you are a collector you need 2! One to use and one to box. If you don't do much with wide angle and you aren't a collector then you only need it if you have too much money and need an excuse to spend more.
05-02-2016, 11:45 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cjsk8mom Quote
I want it...you know I do! But do I need it? Please convince me - I've got two Q7's, one original Q, and at least one of every other lens. But the 08 is more than I paid for any of my bodies-with a lens or two. LOVE my Q's as a purse cam, car cam and travel cam, but it's not my main cam, man, and I'm kinda hoping to be talked out of dropping the extra cash!

OK, as an 08 (06,03,01,02) owner, I have to say, this Q lens is the one I use the most.

At the long end on the original Q, it's virtually a 35mm FF equivalent, which is almost normal.
And on the Q7, it gives you the kind of compact wide-angle capability
that will make you want to take it along as a supplement to your main camera.

The IQ is outstanding, which makes the price look cheap
compared to what you'd have to pay elsewhere for that level of wide-angle coverage.

Go for it!

05-02-2016, 01:23 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I don't own one, and I don't expect to buy one ... but that is me. I have a Sigma 10-20mm lens that I use occasionally with my K-30, and that is enough wide-angle for me. What you do depends on what other camera equipment you own, and what kind of pictures you take.
05-02-2016, 01:35 PM   #6
Staff Writer

Photos: Gallery

Seems to me there are two separate questions here: should YOU buy it, and is it a desirable lens? The first, as everyone has pointed out, really depends on whether you're a wide-angle shooter, or not. I am; one of my two always-on-a-body lens when I shot pro was a Pentax 20/4 on an LX with a grid focusing screen. (My other LX had a regular screen and the Pentax A* 135/1.8.) If you love wide-angles, you'll love this lens.

As to the second question, IMHO this is the best Q lens. There's something about the look of its photos...I pretty much always have it on my Q7. My normal setups are the Q7 with the 08 mounted and the 06 in my pocket as my daily driver; if I'm going out to shoot specifically than I add a Q body and keep the 06 on that. Best of both worlds: the 08 is wider on the Q7 than the Q, and the 06 is longer on the Q than the Q7. I also have the 01 -- it's a great little lens, but I just don't "see" normal lenses; the 02 -- use if for birthday parties and such; and the 03, which I used to use a ton, then not so much after I got the 08. YMMV.

Cjf
05-02-2016, 02:44 PM   #7
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd love to have this lens; do I need it? Nope, and can't afford it. I really love wide angle shots, but this one will have to wait a very long time to jump in my camera bag.

05-02-2016, 02:52 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Personally, I don't own the 8, although I'd like to due to the quality of images ive seen on the forum.

Reason I don't own it is simple, I can get more desirable equipment for the same $$$$.

Early on when I only had the Q10 and 2 lens, I bought the screw on to the filter thread elcheapo wider by a point 45 factor attachment.These make the 2 much wider at 5% cost of the 8 lens.OK, the images are not as good but they are not 20 times worse than the 8 images.

If a good used copy of the 8 happens along though, i'll jump at it!( like I did when I scored a U$ 35 delivered 6 with filter)

The 8 is overpriced and while its like that I wont buy new.
05-02-2016, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unless you make a living of your photography, you don't NEED any lenses.

This is why I love my 08, it does this:

and it does this:

05-02-2016, 02:55 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
(06,03,01,02) owner
Yes, those are the essentials plus a cheap adapter for the longer telephoto stuff
05-02-2016, 08:17 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The 08's 17.5 - 27mm on the Q7 and 23-33mm on the Q, so if you should happen to have a DA 18-55 or DA 16-45 (or equivalent) available on an APS-C body try out that set of FLs for yourself.
05-02-2016, 08:34 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have Q-s1 and the Q , 08 is my most used lens followed by 01 ,06 and 02 , but I love wide angle photography.
kind regards
jack
05-03-2016, 02:02 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have been considering this problem myself regarding my Q10 and came to the conclusion that the O2, with which I have no problems, would work fine in most circumstances.

When I used 35mm film I had a 3 lens set up 24mm, 50mm and 135mm, the 24mm being my most used. When I moved to a K200D I found the 18 - 55mm kit lens was almost sufficient it just needed to be a tiny bit longer and wider, wider because in the narrow twisty streets of old European cities I really longed for my old 24mm lens so now I know I would have found 17 - 70mm adequate.

So before I thought about the 17 - 70mm I bought the Sigma 10 - 20mm which I thought would complement 18 - 55mm nicely, now however it mostly stays at home because of it's size and weight and I've got used to the field of view provided by the much smaller and lighter DA 21mm (approx 32mm in 35mm terms). Apart from it's small size and light weight for which it was bought, it's field of view does not cause the problems with verticals and edge distortion super wide angle lenses can do. Anything wider than a 24mm in FF terms and you really have to be careful with what you're doing.

So if you consider that the O2 on the Q / Q10 at it's wide end is approximately 27mm and that on the Q7 / Q-S1 it's approximately 23.5mm, making it quite a bit wider. A Q7 body is a lot less expensive than the 08, true the 08 being specifically designed for wide angle work would probably have better resolution than the 02 at t's equivalent setting but how often are you going to use it.

As with most things in life "Less is More" and if you only have a small number of lenses you don't start worrying about which lens to choose and by the time you make up your mind the shot is gone.
05-03-2016, 10:54 AM   #14

If you like beautiful but constrained, space wise, buildings like art galleries and museums, it's the only way to get a lot of it in a picture.
I visit these places a lot and use the 08 over 90% of the time.
J
05-05-2016, 04:52 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
The 08's 17.5 - 27mm on the Q7 and 23-33mm on the Q, so if you should happen to have a DA 18-55 or DA 16-45 (or equivalent) available on an APS-C body try out that set of FLs for yourself.
Neither of those APS-C zooms gives you the wide angle of the 08 on the Q7.
It would take something like the DA 12-24.
(I'm carefully avoiding use of the "E-word" here! )

---------- Post added 05-05-16 at 06:54 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jethro10 Quote
If you like beautiful but constrained, space wise, buildings like art galleries and museums, it's the only way to get a lot of it in a picture.
I visit these places a lot and use the 08 over 90% of the time.
+1

And the Q system is small enough that you won't get the attendants worried about what you're doing.