Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2016, 10:32 AM   #1
Forum Member

Newbie HDR question

Just joined....looks like a very informative community.I've had my Q7 for a few months now and lately have spent a little more time with it. Any way I've done some HDR steps in Gimp with satisfying results from common jpegs.I also only have "silkypix" the software that came with the camera.I like that it has the hdr function built into the camera but would like to get a general concensus on its hdr quality.I was wondering if theirs more info on the hdr 1,2 and auto functions in the menu selection.The obvious diff. I see is the megabites.I'm very much of a newbie when it comes to photograpy and my skills are mostly in 3d modeling and similar software programs.I get the general picture of what hdr is all about but would like more help in getting the most out of it with my existing tool bag. Thanx in advance.

05-04-2016, 11:48 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Can't help you with the Q specific query, however...

Google made the Nik collection free earlier this year. The collection contains a good HDR program, as well as other good software: https://www.google.com/nikcollection/

See further: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/32-digital-processing-software-printing/3...tion-free.html

And: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/32-digital-processing-software-printing/3...-now-free.html
05-04-2016, 02:55 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I second QMJ's recommendation re the Nik software. Their tutorials are very useful simply as general understanding of many PP tools and the programs are well respected.

An advantage of the Pentax software is that you can replicate the in-camera settings in post production where you can easily see the changes and using common labels. A very useful way to become familiar with the camera settings.
05-04-2016, 05:17 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
Can't help you with the Q specific query, however...

Google made the Nik collection free earlier this year. The collection contains a good HDR program, as well as other good software: https://www.google.com/nikcollection/

See further: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/32-digital-processing-software-printing/3...tion-free.html

And: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/32-digital-processing-software-printing/3...-now-free.html
I don't have photoshop or lightroom being that its a plugin.I'm leaning towards Photomatix being that its a standalone product. Thanx again

05-04-2016, 05:31 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timedriver Quote
Just joined....looks like a very informative community.I've had my Q7 for a few months now and lately have spent a little more time with it. Any way I've done some HDR steps in Gimp with satisfying results from common jpegs.I also only have "silkypix" the software that came with the camera.I like that it has the hdr function built into the camera but would like to get a general concensus on its hdr quality.I was wondering if theirs more info on the hdr 1,2 and auto functions in the menu selection.The obvious diff. I see is the megabites.I'm very much of a newbie when it comes to photography and my skills are mostly in 3d modeling and similar software programs.I get the general picture of what hdr is all about but would like more help in getting the most out of it with my existing tool bag. Thanx in advance.
Was your original question about using the HDR built into the camera, or about using HDR during post-processing {normally done with raw images}?
05-04-2016, 05:31 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
I second QMJ's recommendation re the Nik software. Their tutorials are very useful simply as general understanding of many PP tools and the programs are well respected.

An advantage of the Pentax software is that you can replicate the in-camera settings in post production where you can easily see the changes and using common labels. A very useful way to become familiar with the camera settings.
As I told Quartermaster...I don't have photoshop or lightroom being that nix is a plugin.I'm just going to purchase photomatix. On a side note though (only if your familiar with the Q7 model of Pentax). Can you make greater gaps in the EV's for continuous bracket shooting.The manual says theirs 1/3 intervals on bracketing. I just want a greater range of exposure of the 3 frames for hdr purposes without doing it manuaIy?Hope this makes some kind of sense.
05-04-2016, 05:33 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Was your original question about using the HDR built into the camera, or about using HDR during post-processing {normally done with raw images}?

The built in feature.

05-04-2016, 06:20 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't have photoshop or lightroom being that its a plugin.I'm leaning towards Photomatix being that its a standalone product. Thanx again
Each of the component programs in the Nik Collection can be used as a stand alone application. You do not have to use them as plug-ins. You do not need Photoshop or Lightroom to use them.

See further: https://edknepleyphoto.com/2013/06/15/using-the-nik-collection-in-a-stand-alone-mode/

Also, people with far more skill than I posses have been able to use the Nik Collection as plug-ins with GIMP. Google is your friend here.

Last edited by Quartermaster James; 05-04-2016 at 06:27 PM.
05-04-2016, 07:29 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
Each of the component programs in the Nik Collection can be used as a stand alone application. You do not have to use them as plug-ins. You do not need Photoshop or Lightroom to use them.

See further: https://edknepleyphoto.com/2013/06/15/using-the-nik-collection-in-a-stand-alone-mode/

Also, people with far more skill than I posses have been able to use the Nik Collection as plug-ins with GIMP. Google is your friend here.

Thanx again....I'll check it out
05-04-2016, 08:28 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

...I don't have photoshop or lightroom being that nix is a plugin.
Correct, I use Nik programs with Corel's PSP and even call 'em up from Faststone's Image View.
05-05-2016, 09:44 PM   #11

PACERR, what did you mean by "pentax software" that allows you to try out various camera options in converting a DNG to a jpeg?