Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-15-2016, 05:28 PM   #1
Forum Member

warning about wasabi replacement battery for Q

I've had 2 of the Wasabi batteries about 3 years or so now and they were lightly used. I hadn't used my Q in a while but got it out today to shoot some birds. The Wasabi battery inside the Q was stuck and the Q wouldn't power on. I had to gently pry it out with a very small screwdriver. After getting it out I noticed both sides of the flat surfaces were bulged. My spare Wasabi battery was also beginning to show signs of bulging as well. My factory Q battery is still perfect no bulging issues. Just wanted to warn others that these can potentially get stuck and I can't recommend them based on my own experience with them. Had the battery burst completely or caught fire the magnesium body of the Q would surely be a major fire hazard. As such I will be buying only genuine Pentax replacements this time around. Buyer beware.

05-15-2016, 05:34 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hoffo Quote
I've had 2 of the Wasabi batteries about 3 years or so now and they were lightly used. I hadn't used my Q in a while but got it out today to shoot some birds. The Wasabi battery inside the Q was stuck and the Q wouldn't power on. I had to gently pry it out with a very small screwdriver. After getting it out I noticed both sides of the flat surfaces were bulged. My spare Wasabi battery was also beginning to show signs of bulging as well. My factory Q battery is still perfect no bulging issues. Just wanted to warn others that these can potentially get stuck and I can't recommend them based on my own experience with them. Had the battery burst completely or caught fire the magnesium body of the Q would surely be a major fire hazard. As such I will be buying only genuine Pentax replacements this time around. Buyer beware.
They usually recommend against leaving a battery in anything if it won't be used for a while. Maybe the lesson here is to use your "Q" regularly. I do have two Wasabi batteries, and several other third-party ones from other companies; I will inspect them on a regular basis.
05-15-2016, 07:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I had the same thing happen in a movie camera with an aftermarket battery.

I have a couple of Wasabi for my Q, too. I'll keep an eye on them.
05-15-2016, 10:28 PM   #4

Every so often you'll find a batch of First Party batteries for $10 each on the bay. I bought two last time I saw them. Cheaper then the Third party ones as well.

05-16-2016, 05:31 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This can happen with any battery if the battery sits unused in the device for a long time.
05-16-2016, 06:52 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
This can happen with any battery if the battery sits unused in the device for a long time.
Guess you missed the part where I said my spare one was exhibiting the same problem. It was not inside the camera. I also have only left it maybe a month or two at most. I've left my pentax oem battery in it longer than that and it's older than both wasabi batteries and is still perfect. Plus if you take the battery out of the Q for a long time you risk a failed capacitor which stores the time and date info which is a common problem as you can read on this forum. Another thing I noticed with the Wasabi batteries is that even when new they never powered the camera as long as the oem battery does. Crap cells and they claim they are premium japanese cells which I highly doubt given their short operation life and lifespan compared to the chinese oem pentax. Ordered some more Pentax ones to replace them will not risk my camera with crap batteries again.
05-16-2016, 07:13 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Guess you missed the part where I said my spare one was exhibiting the same problem. It was not inside the camera. I also have only left it maybe a month or two at most. I've left my pentax oem battery in it longer than that and it's older than both wasabi batteries and is still perfect. Plus if you take the battery out of the Q for a long time you risk a failed capacitor which stores the time and date info which is a common problem as you can read on this forum.
You have warned us of your experience. You can draw your lessons from that, and each of us can draw his/her own lessons. I don't see any reason for anything beyond that. My own practice is to rotate batteries in/out of my Q-7 on a weekly basis, because I don't like to leave any battery in any device too long, but as I said, you should go with whatever works for you.

05-16-2016, 08:03 PM   #8
mee
Veteran Member

The brand new, no-name batteries that came with my Roku remote actually got so hot that they began to melt the battery cover! I've seen a couple of these events occur with the included batteries with the Roku specifically. Cheap batteries are cheap. I go with name brand and skip the knock offs now even if they're included.

The battery is the energy source of your electronic device. Feed it properly.
05-17-2016, 12:36 AM - 1 Like   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
warning about wasabi
I thought this was going to be a strange thread about "Japanese Horseradish" and it certainly caught my attention, just imagine my disappointment.
05-17-2016, 07:34 AM   #10
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been using Watson's in my K3 (alternating with Pentax brand), and also in my Q; with no bad results. Of course I do not leave any battery in equipment that is not being used frequently. Until my batteries prove otherwise, I'll continue using them.
05-17-2016, 08:03 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
05-22-2016, 04:36 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have 4 Wasabi batteries that have not swelled in 3 years of nearly constant use. Unfortunately, I dropped one recently and it messed up the little notch. No the battery is harder to get in and out. Not Wasabi's fault. Will replace it.
Thanks
barondla
06-13-2016, 01:37 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Couldn't get a battery out of the original Q. Finally managed to hold the little battery release while using a knife to slide it out. Sides of battery have expanded and are wavy. It is not a Wasabi. The bad battery is a Lenmar. It was fine 2 days ago because it slid right into the Q without a hitch. Checked another Lenmar - same story. Apparently these things go bad quickly!
Thanks
barondla