Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2016, 07:15 PM   #1
Forum Member

Auto ISO in manual mode

I'm new to the "Q7" and saw this utube vid (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFLxYMLsv8I).I assume some of the higher end Pentaxs have this feature in manual mode.The only auto iso I see in manual mode is the iso nd or neutral density.One of the posts said that her pentax has this in Tv mode. Hope this post makes some sense from a newbie.

05-27-2016, 07:35 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On some bodies this is called TAv (Time and Aperture variable) mode. On some it is dedicated a spot on the wheel and on others it is available by setting AUTO ISO in M (manual mode). At one time this was a Pentax exclusive feature but now others don't call it out with the name but they offer the "auto iso manual" mode. I'm not familiar enough with the Q series to know which bodies operate in what way, but The K-50 K series body works in the Manual with AUTO ISO way. I don't recall if the K-50 also has a dedicated mode TAv on the dial or not but in any case having the auto iso in manual accomplishes the same thing - in fact on the K-50 if you set AUTO ISO in M mode it displays it as TAv as I recall.
05-27-2016, 07:44 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
On some bodies this is called TAv (Time and Aperture variable) mode. On some it is dedicated a spot on the wheel and on others it is available by setting AUTO ISO in M (manual mode). At one time this was a Pentax exclusive feature but now others don't call it out with the name but they offer the "auto iso manual" mode. I'm not familiar enough with the Q series to know which bodies operate in what way, but The K-50 K series body works in the Manual with AUTO ISO way. I don't recall if the K-50 also has a dedicated mode TAv on the dial or not but in any case having the auto iso in manual accomplishes the same thing - in fact on the K-50 if you set AUTO ISO in M mode it displays it as TAv as I recall.
Having played with this a little further on the Q7 this function is doable in both M and Tv modes.
05-27-2016, 07:56 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by timedriver Quote
Having played with this a little further on the Q7 this function is doable in both M and Tv modes.
In Tv mode however you should not have direct control over the shutter speed which is the point of the "TAv / Manual with auto ISO" . Thinking of the exposure triangle:

Aperture
Shutter Speed
ISO

If you control two of these and let the other float you get the normal Tv, Av, etc modes with fixed ISO. Most cameras allow you to set floating ISO within a range you or it controls and then it decides when to increase/decrease ISO to fit a program it has for exposure that optimizes exposure in certain ways. TAv holds both aperture and shutter speed fixed to your spec and then lets ISO complete the exposure triangle. The difference is that in Tv mode or Av mode you might set let's say 1/1000s for shutter speed in Tv mode. Aperture may be anything the camera deems appropriate. If the program is optimized for depth of field it will use the highest ISO it can to get the aperture to close down as much as possible (oversimplified) or for a different program it might do the opposite and lower the aperture and ISO to capture details without noise. TAv is more predictable but Av and Tv are perfectly fine if you like them. Just keep in mind what the camera is controlling vs. what you want to control. Shooting sports you likely care more about shutter speed than if you are shooting a landscape where you want high depth of field and you are using a tripod.

05-28-2016, 06:10 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
In Tv mode however you should not have direct control over the shutter speed which is the point of the "TAv / Manual with auto ISO" . Thinking of the exposure triangle:

Aperture
Shutter Speed
ISO

If you control two of these and let the other float you get the normal Tv, Av, etc modes with fixed ISO. Most cameras allow you to set floating ISO within a range you or it controls and then it decides when to increase/decrease ISO to fit a program it has for exposure that optimizes exposure in certain ways. TAv holds both aperture and shutter speed fixed to your spec and then lets ISO complete the exposure triangle. The difference is that in Tv mode or Av mode you might set let's say 1/1000s for shutter speed in Tv mode. Aperture may be anything the camera deems appropriate. If the program is optimized for depth of field it will use the highest ISO it can to get the aperture to close down as much as possible (oversimplified) or for a different program it might do the opposite and lower the aperture and ISO to capture details without noise. TAv is more predictable but Av and Tv are perfectly fine if you like them. Just keep in mind what the camera is controlling vs. what you want to control. Shooting sports you likely care more about shutter speed than if you are shooting a landscape where you want high depth of field and you are using a tripod.

Thanx for your clarity on the "Tv & Av" mode.