Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2016, 01:10 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Q Distribution ?

I noticed a comment in another thread saying that the Q, and I'm inferring the Q series here, failed to sell outside of Japan.

Does any body actually know what it's world wide sales are, I find it hard to believe that Pentax would have produced 4 cameras and a range of lenses if it was just selling in it's domestic market alone.

I recognise that it probably made a marketing mistake with the price point it chose for the original Q.

I think Pentax has a nice range of cameras, probably unmatched by other makers, from the miniature Q to APS-C to Full Frame and Medium Format.

CD

06-15-2016, 01:24 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PenPusher Quote
I think Pentax has a nice range of cameras, probably unmatched by other makers, from the miniature Q to APS-C to Full Frame and Medium Format.
That's quite an accomplishment indeed, having 4 distinct ILC formats, including medium format.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-15-2016, 07:25 AM   #3

I don't think you can discount the importance of the Japanese domestic market - especially to Ricoh/Pentax.

CIPA reported that in 2013 Japanese consumers bought 13 percent of the world's cameras, and 15 percent of the lenses.

Japan has less than 2 percent of the world's population

Q's are certainly quite rare here in North America. It's not hard to see why. A photo enthusiast around here always has enough room on the back seat of their vehicle for a regular camera bag.

Spending a good part of your day commuting around Tokyo is a very different lifestyle. A Q and three lenses can be tucked into a laptop satchel quite easily.
06-15-2016, 07:49 AM   #4
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
Q's are certainly quite rare here in North America. It's not hard to see why. A photo enthusiast around here always has enough room on the back seat of their vehicle for a regular camera bag.
Yes, I always have room for my camera bags; however, just taking my Q and 2 lenses & all accessories in a very small OpTech accessory bag is certainly more convenient, and the Q gives very nice results!

06-15-2016, 08:43 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
Spending a good part of your day commuting around Tokyo is a very different lifestyle. A Q and three lenses can be tucked into a laptop satchel quite easily.
Commuting around any large city anywhere in the world is a pain, carrying a camera and lenses on the back seat of a car isn't much of a problem anywhere its when you start carrying the camera and lenses around for hours that the size and weight of the Q series and accessories scores heavily. Where the Q series falls down is when you start using the K to Q converter, K lenses, Tripod etc., and you're back in the heavyweight game again.

Oscar Barnack's own personal design of the 35mm camera (later to become the Leica) was to avoid having to carry a plate camera, tripod and spare glass plates up and down the hills around Wetzlar and at that time, around 1911, cars for the ordinary person were as rear as hen's teeth, the Q's are as near as you can get today to that small lightweight concept especially with the 01 prime lens.

Now I bought my Q10 from the UK so there must be some kind of a market there and you quite often see them for sale in Germany but somebody else must be buying them someplace, I'm just wondering where.

CD
06-15-2016, 09:34 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Commuting around any large city anywhere in the world is a pain, carrying a camera and lenses on the back seat of a car isn't much of a problem anywhere its when you start carrying the camera and lenses around for hours that the size and weight of the Q series and accessories scores heavily. Where the Q series falls down is when you start using the K to Q converter, K lenses, Tripod etc., and you're back in the heavyweight game again.
Of course, you can add weight to any kit. When I go on bird-watching walks with my wife, my K-to-Q adapter and Sigma 70-300mm lens do add to the weight I carry {I could include the monopod also, but it doubles as a walking stick}, but not nearly as much as a wooden tripod and 150-450 lens would if I were using an APS-C or FF camera as many do.
06-15-2016, 10:10 AM   #7
Site Supporter

I noticed a comment in another thread saying that the Q, and I'm inferring the Q series here, failed to sell outside of Japan.

Does any body actually know what it's world wide sales are, I find it hard to believe that Pentax would have produced 4 cameras and a range of lenses if it was just selling in it's domestic market alone.

I recognise that it probably made a marketing mistake with the price point it chose for the original Q.

CD

I asked myself the same kind of question when I saw Adam's remark (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/323675-noise-reduction-accel...679767).Surely, Adam knows more about these things than we do; still, I wonder what qualifies a 'failure' and can it be quantified?

I realize that one cannot use enthusiasts' post in a forum like PF to gauge market success or failure in general and the following is kind of silly use of figures and numbers. Still:

1. In PF the number of posts and views in 'Post your K-3 sample shots here' have accumulated to 6836 posts and 754033 views over roughly 2 years. The corresponding numbers in 'Let's share shots with the Q' are 5127 posts and 688404 views accumulated over roughly 4 years. Surely, the K-3 is much more popular amongst PF members, but interest in the Q system cannot be characterized as ridiculously or vanishingly low - can it???

Also,

2. Take a look at all the adapters and accessories available 'for Pentax Q' from third party manufacturers and dealers at for example eBay.co.uk. To me, this indicates that there has to be a market of a certain size and health here in the western part of the world. Or, am I totally wrong here?

Everybody knows what kind of a beast a DSLR is. It may take some persuasion to have a prospective buyer try a Pentax DSLR rather than a CaNikon, but the sales person doesn't have to explain what type of a camera a Pentax DSLR is. Quite the opposite with the Q-system: Many would like just to compare the Q IQ-wise alone with either a cell phone camera or a compact, which is entirely wrong. The Q-system is a very unique, quite demanding but also very rewarding , versatile and ultra portable ILC system in its own right. I really do wish that the Q would be more visible and available for hands-on experiences here in our parts of the world.

Finally, for many of us it is not a question of choosing between either a Pentax DSLR or a Pentax Q. It's a matter of having both and the freedom to use whatever system that serves us best in a given situation.
06-15-2016, 10:19 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Compare a Q(Q7)/01/02/06 kit to an MX-1 (and it's brethren). In some ways the MX-1 is the better option.*

* I have both. MX-1 is always in my briefcase. Taking the Q/Q7 kit is an intentional decision.

06-15-2016, 10:39 AM   #9
Site Supporter

I always have my Q10 + 02 and 06 lens and a set of close-up lenses in my briefcase. Choosing the Q was relatively easy for me because in addition to having this portable solution I can also utilize the ILC properties to hook up my Q on my telescope and long lenses for astro photography and on my macro lenses for some extreme macro. I, for one, am very happy with my original Pentax adapter Q for K-mount lens.

Did I mention that I find the Q a very versatile system :-) ?
06-15-2016, 10:56 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Compare a Q(Q7)/01/02/06 kit to an MX-1 (and it's brethren). In some ways the MX-1 is the better option.*

* I have both. MX-1 is always in my briefcase. Taking the Q/Q7 kit is an intentional decision.
I know how you feel, I always carry my Canon S100 (almost the same as the MX-1) I would have gotten the MX-1 if the Canon hadn't come out earlier. I feel it's an issue of using the right tool for the subject. Most of my wildlife and sports are shot with my K30, my travel and everyday shooting is my S100 and my Q7 with the 06 attached. I find it easier to change cameras than lenses. The IQ of the Q7 and S100 is identical so having the 06 gives me more reach than the S100 so I carry both.
06-15-2016, 11:14 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
Did I mention that I find the Q a very versatile system :-) ?
In addition to being my birding system with one lens, and my pocket camera with another lens {01}. my Q-7 backs up my K-30 should the K-30 have issues before I buy a K-70.