Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2016, 08:16 AM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
B&H and Adorama both are great companies that care about their customers, and will go the extra mile to ensure customer's satisfaction. Your entire thread bad mouthing B&H is out of line. You didn't even bother to contact B&H about this "issue"; nor obviously haven't tried the product to see if it works. Just because there is a rip in bubblewrap, and a loose cap; does NOT mean it's a used item. At the very most, it might mean a little carelessness in the packing/shipping department. If you're that unhappy, contact B&H get a return label, and shop elsewhere. It's sad to attack a business, when there's no merit.
BTW: I did contact B & H. You simply make a huge assumption based upon nothing and it is incorrect. They have yet to respond to my e-mail. I am not "attacking" B & H. I have bought many products from them in the past. I ordered 4 items from them that came with the messed up item and have no complaints about 3 of those items. But, this one circumstance and a few in the past (which I just let pass without complaining) made me upset. The condition I received this "new" item in was unacceptable. So I did contact them (thus far without response), but I also thought it important for persons buying Pentax products to be aware of what happened to me. What one does with that information is up to them. People who get products like this and keep their mouth shut (including myself in the past) do a disservice to other buyers out there who are trying to make informed decisions about where they buy products from.

Most of my previous post was sarcastic anyway, responding to some impossible apologist for retail outlets. Seriously, you don't think that I am going to actually write an apologetic letter to B & H and thanking them for sending me an item in terrible condition.

07-02-2016, 11:37 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Exactly. I mean, if it works, does it matter what packaging was used to get it to you?
It matters. I'm not going to trust a product that went through 1500 miles of shipping that might have started in an insufficiently packed manner, handled by various machines and people that care a lot less about it then I do and then when it arrives to me isn't even in the package anymore. I don't want that item, this companies poor practices, or their excuses about turnover and personnel changes.

07-02-2016, 12:11 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
I never stop being amazed at how worked up people can get about things like this on the other side of the Atlantic. So the cap was loose and the bubble wrap had a slight tear in it and the adapter may have even been removed from its packaging before but still seems brand-new and fully operable. So what? If you only want factory sealed products, return it for a full refund (and you'll probably get your apology from the seller too). Just stop whining please.
Which side of the Atlantic are we talking about? I have no idea where anyone is from! But otherwise I agree. The word pedantic was invented for this sort of behavior.
07-02-2016, 12:18 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Better to take the issue to the dealer before ranting here. Did you try this yet? Ask B&H Photo! - PentaxForums.com
I believe their operations are closed on Saturday, IIRC.

07-02-2016, 12:46 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The display packaging is not sufficient protection for shipping. I do not believe that it was ever intended to be. Still, many retailers consistently ship expensive items as though it were. I am continually amazed at how often I receive something that was sent to the shipper with a label slapped onto the display box and the ends taped up; as if the shipper were gong to handle it with kid gloves. B&H routinely ships cameras and lenses with little more; throwing the display box into a shipping box and tossing in a couple of those failure prone air bags. In reality, affording nothing but a layer of corrugated cardboard as protection for a 4,400 mile journey. In light of their labor issues, have begun to wonder if this is some sort of sabotage/protest on part of their employees.
07-02-2016, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I'm sure they will remedy the situation if necessary...with regrets for your inconvenience.

It could be worse...a few years ago I had a friend marry a woman that presented as undamaged goods...turned out she had seven kids...and worse, she moved them all in with them. Took him two years and a ton of cash to remedy his situation.

Regards!
07-02-2016, 02:09 PM - 2 Likes   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pleitzxcan Quote
BTW: I did contact B & H. You simply make a huge assumption based upon nothing and it is incorrect. They have yet to respond to my e-mail...
Nice of you to fill us in on that small detail. B&H is usually very good about no-questions-asked replacement if an item or its packaging are received in poor condition. With any luck @Chuck-B&H will drop in on this thread with an explanation and remedy, though I would not expect any response until after Sabbath closes later today.

Steve

07-02-2016, 02:18 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
The display packaging is not sufficient protection for shipping. I do not believe that it was ever intended to be. Still, many retailers consistently ship expensive items as though it were. I am continually amazed at how often I receive something that was sent to the shipper with a label slapped onto the display box and the ends taped up; as if the shipper were gong to handle it with kid gloves. B&H routinely ships cameras and lenses with little more; throwing the display box into a shipping box and tossing in a couple of those failure prone air bags. In reality, affording nothing but a layer of corrugated cardboard as protection for a 4,400 mile journey. In light of their labor issues, have begun to wonder if this is some sort of sabotage/protest on part of their employees.
Amazingly, those "display" boxes are exactly as they are shipped to the dealers, though shrink-wrapped as a bulk lot on a pallet. Stuff on the periphery and corners gets banged up quite a bit. My worst story is similar to the Tyvek bag example above, though that has been a few years ago. Stuff from B&H (and lately Amazon) is generally over-packaged.

Steve
07-02-2016, 02:33 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pleitzxcan Quote
Any thoughts?
In a world wracked with strife and tragedy, you are worried about that !
good grief my new K-5sii sent the length of the Pacific by one of your 'big two' had less padding than that
07-02-2016, 03:29 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Amazingly, those "display" boxes are exactly as they are shipped to the dealers, though shrink-wrapped as a bulk lot on a pallet. Stuff on the periphery and corners gets banged up quite a bit. My worst story is similar to the Tyvek bag example above, though that has been a few years ago. Stuff from B&H (and lately Amazon) is generally over-packaged.

Steve
That's the thing the ranting OP fails to realize that the product he illustrates with his photos is in a manner that is normally packaged by the Manufacturer. He also fails to mention if the package was sealed with the manufactures standard seal or showed signs of prior opening. Then knowing items are NOT shipped by just slapping a label on the manufacturers box and sending them off he fails to show what OTHER box and packaging B&H used with the shipping.
07-02-2016, 03:49 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Amazingly, those "display" boxes are exactly as they are shipped to the dealers, though shrink-wrapped as a bulk lot on a pallet. Stuff on the periphery and corners gets banged up quite a bit.

Steve
Been there, seen that. As in as a retail receiver. In my experience, goods shipped shrink wrapped on a pallet have a much gentler journey than a box does shipped through a delivery service.

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Then knowing items are NOT shipped by just slapping a label on the manufacturers box and sending them off he fails to show what OTHER box and packaging B&H used with the shipping.
Not sure whether this was directed towards my earlier comment but, if so, I have two packages received this week from Amazon that were shipped precisely like that. By the time they reached me, the ends were open and the contents had worn through the display box. I am just lucky that damage was minor and so far it seems no parts were lost.
07-02-2016, 04:13 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
It matters. I'm not going to trust a product that went through 1500 miles of shipping that might have started in an insufficiently packed manner, handled by various machines and people that care a lot less about it then I do and then when it arrives to me isn't even in the package anymore. I don't want that item, this companies poor practices, or their excuses about turnover and personnel changes.
Very impressive and disturbing photos. Those were from 2013, right? I received a similarly packed/unpacked shipment during the same time frame.

Steve
07-02-2016, 05:33 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I work in a college in a remote area of Australia with pallets of goods arriving from the major cities that have been transhipped several times. It is not uncommon for the cartons on the pallets to have significant damage inflicted on them by forklift tines that miss the pallets and penetrate the packaging.

While we may resent the hugely over packaged product when we purchase the single item from a shop the same packaging when on a pallet has saved many of our goods from catastrophic damage with the tines missing the laptop or flat screen monitor in the same way as the swords miss the lady in the magician's box - through the judicious use of copious voids.

In our case no damage was done to goods and all items work satisfactorily. No point complaining as no single person was ever going to be identified as responsible. I hope the OP gets some satisfaction however.
07-02-2016, 05:56 PM   #29
Veteran Member

B&H has a very simple and straightforward 30 day return policy. The solution is simple.....RETURN IT and get another.
Are You going to post any photos showing the obvious terrible damage and used condition of the adapter ???
07-02-2016, 06:52 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
Been there, seen that. As in as a retail receiver. In my experience, goods shipped shrink wrapped on a pallet have a much gentler journey than a box does shipped through a delivery service.

Not sure whether this was directed towards my earlier comment but, if so, I have two packages received this week from Amazon that were shipped precisely like that. By the time they reached me, the ends were open and the contents had worn through the display box. I am just lucky that damage was minor and so far it seems no parts were lost.
I do believe if read correctly I used the term OP considering YOU are not the OP then no it was not directed at you.

Plus I work at a home depot you should see the condition some palitized shrink wrapped items come in.
Closed Thread