Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2016, 12:26 PM   #1
Site Supporter

A dissapointing delivery

Received a Pentax K to Q adapter today from one of the big New York outfits and I am very displeased with how it arrived. Here are a few of the problems:

1) Box not plastic sealed (I do not know if this is ever done, but I wish it were because perhaps it would cut down on this type of thing happening)
2) Adapter wrapped in what appears to be old, shabby bubble-wrap with a nice big fat hole in the side.
3) Adapter Front cover is just loosely placed on the adapter. It is not sealing and protecting the interior of the adapter as it is supposed to. When I opened the box and began to pick up the adapter from the box, I felt something move and when I looked closer at the bubble wrap, I could tell the front cap was just sitting on top, not sealing the adapter. It would have fallen off and possibly out of the hole in the bubble-wrap if I had held it inverted or had simply not been careful when opening the item.

There may be other things that are amiss here and I took several photos so that anyone who has this item might be able to shed some insight on the condition their "new" adapter arrived in. The one I received is certainly not "New." The question now is whether it works, if it is a returned item, a refurb or someone just took it out to mess with it and then carelessly put it back in the box. I suspect that it was a returned item because the bubble-wrap seems old and has a hole. I doubt someone would take it out at the store and tear a hole in the bubble wrap. Additionally, the overall shabbiness of the bubble-wrap would not have been the result of one person taking it out once to mess with it and then putting it back in the box unless it was some kind of floor model that was taken out often and the bubble-wrap deteriorated over time.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for the help/insights.

P

Attached Images

07-01-2016, 12:36 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ive bought cameras "new" and found cards in them that prove they have been used.....its a total disappointment!
07-01-2016, 01:15 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A firm but still polite e-mail or phone call, expressing your displeasure, would be my first suggestion. Attach these pictures. B&H (if it's them) have representatives who regularly visit this site - with a dedicated forum for same.
07-01-2016, 02:50 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by pleitzxcan Quote
Any thoughts?
Ask for an exchange!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-01-2016, 04:00 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

So does it work ?
07-01-2016, 05:54 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
So does it work ?
Exactly. I mean, if it works, does it matter what packaging was used to get it to you?
07-01-2016, 07:04 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Exactly. I mean, if it works, does it matter what packaging was used to get it to you?
Absolutely not, so long as it is labeled "USED" and is priced accordingly.

---------- Post added 07-01-16 at 07:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
So does it work ?
I prefer to know:

1) Does it work properly?
2) For how long?
3) Because this item has obviously been previously opened: Did it work properly for that person? For how long? or "Why Not?"
4) How and why did it come back into the possession of the retailer?
5) Why is it being sold as "NEW" when it obviously it is not?

I have no problem with used items that work. I have bought several items on this site that I knew at the outset were used. When I buy something used, I always buy them because they are not full retail price. When I pay full retail price, I expect that the item I am receiving is brand, spanking, factory-sealed, new.
07-01-2016, 10:34 PM - 2 Likes   #8

Received a Pentax K to Q adapter today from one of the big New York outfits and I am very displeased with how it arrived. Here are a few of the problems:

1) Box not plastic sealed (I do not know if this is ever done, but I wish it were because perhaps it would cut down on this type of thing happening)
2) Adapter wrapped in what appears to be old, shabby bubble-wrap with a nice big fat hole in the side.
3) Adapter Front cover is just loosely placed on the adapter. It is not sealing and protecting the interior of the adapter as it is supposed to. When I opened the box and began to pick up the adapter from the box, I felt something move and when I looked closer at the bubble wrap, I could tell the front cap was just sitting on top, not sealing the adapter. It would have fallen off and possibly out of the hole in the bubble-wrap if I had held it inverted or had simply not been careful when opening the item.

There may be other things that are amiss here and I took several photos so that anyone who has this item might be able to shed some insight on the condition their "new" adapter arrived in. The one I received is certainly not "New." The question now is whether it works, if it is a returned item, a refurb or someone just took it out to mess with it and then carelessly put it back in the box. I suspect that it was a returned item because the bubble-wrap seems old and has a hole. I doubt someone would take it out at the store and tear a hole in the bubble wrap. Additionally, the overall shabbiness of the bubble-wrap would not have been the result of one person taking it out once to mess with it and then putting it back in the box unless it was some kind of floor model that was taken out often and the bubble-wrap deteriorated over time.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for the help/insights.

P
It would appear that you purchased bubble wrap and are unhappy with the condition of said bubble wrap. If the adaptor is clean and performs as expected....then congratulations on your new acquisition. You did not indicate that despite obvious disappointment with packing and various cosmetic concerns, the adaptor functions correctly or not. If it does, I'd personally stop there since you're covered by the purchase of a "new" item. If not then you have an issue with the vendor which could easily be resolved. Anyway, good luck on identifying the adequate solution.

07-01-2016, 11:58 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Davidparis Quote
It would appear that you purchased bubble wrap and are unhappy with the condition of said bubble wrap. If the adaptor is clean and performs as expected....then congratulations on your new acquisition. You did not indicate that despite obvious disappointment with packing and various cosmetic concerns, the adaptor functions correctly or not. If it does, I'd personally stop there since you're covered by the purchase of a "new" item. If not then you have an issue with the vendor which could easily be resolved. Anyway, good luck on identifying the adequate solution.
I suppose I'd not considered that angle. Perhaps I should write B & H a letter of apology for attempting to document evidence that a "new" product was shipped to me in bubble-wrap that deflated around the turn of the last century.

I mean, hey, so what, the front cap is detached from the adapter, what do you want from us, eh? Whut's that lens hat spossed to do anyway. It's just an adapter, c-mon man, fuggetaboutit.

Here is a good test:

Take your K-1/K-3 II, K-3, or K-5 IIs, etc. Place the front body cap securely in the mount. Now shake the camera as hard as you can. Throw it up against the wall. Slam it to the ground and stomp on it. Then tell me where the point of failure (if failure occurs) is for the front lens body cap.

So, with the knowledge of the security of those caps, I do wonder exactly how the one on this adapter became dislodged?

No I should just apologize to B & H and just plead with them that they consider taking me off of the sucker list; those people who will accept just about anything and never speak up to expose the problem.

Ok, B & H, please take me off your sucker list and start sending me real "new" items. I'm sorry that I tried to show that you sometimes send out abused products as new to idiots who don't know the difference. I promise I will stop trying to educate the idiots of your structure, and thereby keep those returns as low as possible. I don't know what I was thinking B& H? I really don't.
07-02-2016, 12:29 AM - 6 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

I never stop being amazed at how worked up people can get about things like this on the other side of the Atlantic. So the cap was loose and the bubble wrap had a slight tear in it and the adapter may have even been removed from its packaging before but still seems brand-new and fully operable. So what? If you only want factory sealed products, return it for a full refund (and you'll probably get your apology from the seller too). Just stop whining please.
07-02-2016, 07:14 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

There is a big difference in Used vs Opened. Did the item show signs of wear from being mounted and having a lens attached? You don't show any exhausting photos of any. If so that is Used. (PS bubble wrap can flatten through poor handling by the carrier and usually items that do not require a better grade of packaging often are bubble wrapped only). If no signs of wear then more than likely that may have been an open package. Could have been opened for inspection and re-packaged when they received the item to insure when they received it with their lot of items it wasn't damaged due to receiving concerns. Much to your chagrin Open packages Do Not Warrant a discount although B&H will send you a return authorization and replace the item to keep you happy.

To me it's kind of petty to go to the extreme of posting all those photos in the forum of damaged Packaging and go on a tirade for an item that doesn't appear obviously damaged and for which you haven't shown signs of previous use instead of simply contacting the retailer, which from my experience over the years dealing with them, would gladly resolve the issue. Now had you come on here with your rant, photos and this retailer not willing to rectify the situation then to most here you would have a legitimate gripe.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 07-02-2016 at 07:29 AM.
07-02-2016, 07:31 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

I suppose I'd not considered that angle. Perhaps I should write B & H a letter of apology for attempting to document evidence that a "new" product was shipped to me in bubble-wrap that deflated around the turn of the last century.

I mean, hey, so what, the front cap is detached from the adapter, what do you want from us, eh? Whut's that lens hat spossed to do anyway. It's just an adapter, c-mon man, fuggetaboutit.

Here is a good test:

Take your K-1/K-3 II, K-3, or K-5 IIs, etc. Place the front body cap securely in the mount. Now shake the camera as hard as you can. Throw it up against the wall. Slam it to the ground and stomp on it. Then tell me where the point of failure (if failure occurs) is for the front lens body cap.

So, with the knowledge of the security of those caps, I do wonder exactly how the one on this adapter became dislodged?

No I should just apologize to B & H and just plead with them that they consider taking me off of the sucker list; those people who will accept just about anything and never speak up to expose the problem.

Ok, B & H, please take me off your sucker list and start sending me real "new" items. I'm sorry that I tried to show that you sometimes send out abused products as new to idiots who don't know the difference. I promise I will stop trying to educate the idiots of your structure, and thereby keep those returns as low as possible. I don't know what I was thinking B& H? I really don't.
Buh-bye.
07-02-2016, 07:49 AM - 2 Likes   #13
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

B&H and Adorama both are great companies that care about their customers, and will go the extra mile to ensure customer's satisfaction. Your entire thread bad mouthing B&H is out of line. You didn't even bother to contact B&H about this "issue"; nor obviously haven't tried the product to see if it works. Just because there is a rip in bubblewrap, and a loose cap; does NOT mean it's a used item. At the very most, it might mean a little carelessness in the packing/shipping department. If you're that unhappy, contact B&H get a return label, and shop elsewhere. It's sad to attack a business, when there's no merit.
07-02-2016, 07:53 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Think of the man-hours wasted in this thread.
07-02-2016, 08:08 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Bubble wrap can rip. Caps can dislodge. If the product works, which mine does, use it. I thought my dog was only one that gets upset over bubble wrap. But only of you put it on the floor in her line of sight and jump on it.
Closed Thread