Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2016, 12:45 AM   #1

Dropped Broken 08 Lens - relieved outcome

I dropped my Q7 / 08 while on holiday.I had a JJC lens hood on.
Fortunatley, it landed on the hood - the hood is quite springy in it's design and I guess it absorbed a lot of the impact. The lens hood however was undamaged.
At the mount end of the lens, the screws that hold on the backplate, all but one snapped/broke meaning the lens sat at about a 10-15 degree angle to the camera.
If I pressed the lens tight to the body, it would work and autofocus at the zoom end but nothing else.

I sent it to this guy in the UK, where I'm from CAMERA REPAIRS, LENS REPAIRS in WEST LONDON , SURREY , TW17 , TW18

We had a few emails first describing the problem and him asking questions. He stripped it down, did his stuff and returned it, without me paying at this time, to test it - he has many cameras to test lenses, but not a Q.

It was fixed!!
The return insured postage was 7.50 and all he wanted was a total of 20 inc the postage. I had to send him a chunk more, and would kinda recommend the guy if you have lens issues in the UK.

At this point, I'm quite happy

J

07-08-2016, 01:24 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I have to completely agree, I have also used him to repair a DA XS40mm that had developed a problem with all of the aperture blades floating around inside the lens. Turnaround was a couple of days, cost was very reasonable and the lens has been fine ever since.
07-08-2016, 07:00 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Twevor Quote
I have to completely agree, I have also used him to repair a DA XS40mm that had developed a problem with all of the aperture blades floating around inside the lens. Turnaround was a couple of days, cost was very reasonable and the lens has been fine ever since.
As anyone with a Q knows, those lenses are very small, forcing "tooling" of many parts to plastic. Include the internal electronics and they are very fragile. I dropped an 02 and it broke, with no outer damage visible at all. Luckily, I got a warranty replacement.
07-08-2016, 07:21 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@jethro10 - that's great news. I did contact Alan once to enquire about re-alignment of a decentred Pentax lens, but sadly he's not equipped for this. He's very responsive and pleasant to deal with, though, and I've heard good things about him before. I'd definitely consider his services based on what I've heard.