Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2016, 09:11 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Q Battery Life On The Trail

Just returned from following the California Trail for 3 weeks. Carried the Q as my only digital camera.

I had no way to charge batteries. I carried 4 batteries and I was able to make it for the entire trip. I admit that I was sucking from the very bottom of the barrel on that last battery when I got home. I think another week would have required a 5th battery.

I used my large format gear primarily but the Q functioned as a portable meter and a record keeping camera. While I did shut the camera off between photographs I did not consciously limit my photos.

07-10-2016, 09:28 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

nice!
07-11-2016, 02:12 AM   #3
ebk
Loyal Site Supporter

good work

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
Just returned from following the California Trail for 3 weeks. Carried the Q as my only digital camera.

I had no way to charge batteries. I carried 4 batteries and I was able to make it for the entire trip. I admit that I was sucking from the very bottom of the barrel on that last battery when I got home. I think another week would have required a 5th battery.

I used my large format gear primarily but the Q functioned as a portable meter and a record keeping camera. While I did shut the camera off between photographs I did not consciously limit my photos.

you did a hel of a job.
also th 4 batteries.

how many sd cards you used?
07-11-2016, 07:24 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I used one 16gb and part of a second.

I will start posting some things once I have the chance to go through the files.

I also used the original Q and the Q7. I have nothing but impression to support it but it did seem that the Q7 was getting more mileage out of the battery.

07-11-2016, 09:03 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Very good; were these all Pentax batteries??
07-11-2016, 12:57 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I used all Pentax batteries. I have used 3rd party batteries for other cameras but not for my Qs at this point.

I have nothing against 3rd party as I have had good luck with other digitals (including Pentax), but none of my Q batteries have been showing any sign of dying out yet.

---------- Post added 07-11-2016 at 01:13 PM ----------

I am not sure how critical it is but I should add that I shoot manual exposure almost all of the time since I use it as a meter for my LF gear. I may glance at a couple shots in the beginning to check but after that I rarely chimp unless I happen to be working with some really weird lighting situations.

I usually check out the shot, turn the camera on and meter, take the photo and shut the camera off. In fact, if I am using the 01 lens and have the accessory viewfinder attached, I may not even look at the screen for quite awhile once I know my exposure is good. Shooting RAW helps since I know that as long as my highlights are good I can usually recover shadow detail. I can still get a lot of shots even after the battery condition meter has turned red.

I learned not to use that little display screen to make any judgement calls on my photos back in the early days of digital. There are a lot of times that the histogram is set to come up when I turn on the screen and that is the only thing I look at. The screens have gotten better but they still cannot compare to editing with a large flat screen at home. I suspect, though I am just speculating, that most low battery life complaints are coming from people who are using their display screens a whole lot more than I do.

Last edited by Pioneer; 07-11-2016 at 01:16 PM. Reason: clarify
07-12-2016, 02:16 AM   #7
ebk
Loyal Site Supporter

I used one 16gb and part of a second.

I will start posting some things once I have the chance to go through the files.

I also used the original Q and the Q7. I have nothing but impression to support it but it did seem that the Q7 was getting more mileage out of the battery.
so it was a carefully planning of making a pic.
you made jpg pic's?

what kind of viewfinder you used?

thanks for using tips of the q
07-12-2016, 05:41 AM   #8
ebk
Loyal Site Supporter

I used all Pentax batteries. I have used 3rd party batteries for other cameras but not for my Qs at this point.

I have nothing against 3rd party as I have had good luck with other digitals (including Pentax), but none of my Q batteries have been showing any sign of dying out yet.

---------- Post added 07-11-2016 at 01:13 PM ----------

I am not sure how critical it is but I should add that I shoot manual exposure almost all of the time since I use it as a meter for my LF gear. I may glance at a couple shots in the beginning to check but after that I rarely chimp unless I happen to be working with some really weird lighting situations.

I usually check out the shot, turn the camera on and meter, take the photo and shut the camera off. In fact, if I am using the 01 lens and have the accessory viewfinder attached, I may not even look at the screen for quite awhile once I know my exposure is good. Shooting RAW helps since I know that as long as my highlights are good I can usually recover shadow detail. I can still get a lot of shots even after the battery condition meter has turned red.

I learned not to use that little display screen to make any judgement calls on my photos back in the early days of digital. There are a lot of times that the histogram is set to come up when I turn on the screen and that is the only thing I look at. The screens have gotten better but they still cannot compare to editing with a large flat screen at home. I suspect, though I am just speculating, that most low battery life complaints are coming from people who are using their display screens a whole lot more than I do.

thanks for a learning explanation
regards