Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2016, 08:33 PM   #1

Q 15-45mm f2.8 question

Hello,

I found a 15-45mm Q zoom lens at a local camera shop and tried it out on my original Q.

The lens is fairly sharp from what I could see once I looked at the shots on a computer, however I had a hard time taking good test shots because the camera would go into MF mode at the lightest touch of the lens MF ring. The touch required to have this action occur is about as light as I could possibly touch something so any brush with a finger unknowingly touching the MF ring would put the camera in MF magnifying mode. It was very distracting for me to constantly have to tap the shutter button to get out of MF mode. I found that because of the diminutive size of the lens I almost always brushed against the MF ring when attempting to zoom.

My question is: does this represent the normal behavior of the lens or could this lens have some electrical or mechanical problem. It may also be possible that I have some settings that are encouraging this behavior. When i set the camera to MF only it was a relief. When I set MF magnification to off, again it was a relief to be able to focus with AF and not get interrupted by the MF screen. However I think the camera was still jumping to MF since I missed focus on a number of shots.

When I purposely tried touching or nudging the MF ring purposely I could see how little force was required for the camera to react. I would like to be able to use the lens as it was intended, in AF mode but ready to go into MF with a reasonably light touch.

Thanks for any input from 15-45mm lens owners.

K

08-01-2016, 09:37 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have just starting playing with a Q10, and the touch to flip to the manual focus is almost immediate when you move the focus ring. Still playing with it to figure out hw to get it to HOLD focus, but I will get there too. Your issue seems kinda normal.

Regards,
08-01-2016, 09:48 PM   #3
Site Supporter

its been a while but theres a way to make it AF only
08-01-2016, 11:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by krema Quote
Hello,

I found a 15-45mm Q zoom lens at a local camera shop and tried it out on my original Q.

The lens is fairly sharp from what I could see once I looked at the shots on a computer, however I had a hard time taking good test shots because the camera would go into MF mode at the lightest touch of the lens MF ring. The touch required to have this action occur is about as light as I could possibly touch something so any brush with a finger unknowingly touching the MF ring would put the camera in MF magnifying mode. It was very distracting for me to constantly have to tap the shutter button to get out of MF mode. I found that because of the diminutive size of the lens I almost always brushed against the MF ring when attempting to zoom.

My question is: does this represent the normal behavior of the lens or could this lens have some electrical or mechanical problem. It may also be possible that I have some settings that are encouraging this behavior. When i set the camera to MF only it was a relief. When I set MF magnification to off, again it was a relief to be able to focus with AF and not get interrupted by the MF screen. However I think the camera was still jumping to MF since I missed focus on a number of shots.

When I purposely tried touching or nudging the MF ring purposely I could see how little force was required for the camera to react. I would like to be able to use the lens as it was intended, in AF mode but ready to go into MF with a reasonably light touch.

Thanks for any input from 15-45mm lens owners.

K
Mine is the same. I don't see a problem with this behaviour.

08-01-2016, 11:19 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Thats normal

QuoteOriginally posted by beachboy2 Quote
Mine is the same. I don't see a problem with this behaviour.

This lens has a feature called QUICKSHIFT, when in autofocus you can manually override the AF if you think it hasn't locked the focus as good as you want.You do this by twisting the focus ring.

08-02-2016, 08:37 AM   #6

Check in the focus settings there is a way for get only the AF that ignores the focus ring. On my Qs1 is in the C menu option 10.
08-02-2016, 08:54 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It isn't just the focus ring; touching the zoom ring results in the same behaviour on my Q10. But there is a solution: Just turn off "MF Assist" in the focus menu settings. You will retain quick focus shift, but loose the availability of 2x or 4x live view.
08-02-2016, 09:27 AM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
It isn't just the focus ring; touching the zoom ring results in the same behaviour on my Q10. But there is a solution: Just turn off "MF Assist" in the focus menu settings. You will retain quick focus shift, but loose the availability of 2x or 4x live view.
It seems that Pentax made that MF ring extremely sensitive, which can be both of benefit and a hindrance.
They also left us with plenty of MF and AF options as usual, so this is a matter of personal preferences.
I've found that this is why I like Pentax cameras as much as I do.

Thanks for all of your replies.