Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
08-09-2016, 07:15 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Think Pentax will show any new Q stuff at Photokina?

They took time off for the K1. Has there been enough time for Pentax to come up with a new Q or accessories? I think they might show drawings or even a prototype, but nothing that will be buyable this year. The exception could be the macro lens. That has been on the table a long time.

Thanks
barondla

08-09-2016, 07:20 AM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh how I wish, but I doubt it...
08-09-2016, 10:32 AM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Alas, the recent scuttlebutt has been that the Q system is dead, so I'm not holding my breath.
I fear that's the case too, which would be a real shame... We're not a huge user-base, admittedly, but the Q system has a lot of fans (and I'm most certainly one of them).
08-09-2016, 11:11 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Maybe they're taking their time to release a proper successor, rather than just respinning the same old hardware. I really hope that's the case!

08-09-2016, 11:16 AM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Maybe they're taking their time to release a proper successor, rather than just respinng the same old hardware. I really hope that's the case!
If they do... and if, just maybe, I can use either my Q-mount or K-mount lenses... I may break my rule on not being an "early adopter"
08-09-2016, 11:31 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I really do hope that Pentax continues with the Q line. It's such a neat little camera. They just need to advertise it a bit more.
08-09-2016, 12:20 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
No rumours probably not.

08-09-2016, 12:56 PM   #8
Banned

At Photokina, Ricoh didn't listed the category "mirrorless" to their boot. So let's see if it is in Cologne.
08-10-2016, 11:33 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
According to rumors, which seem to be based on a Panasonic press release of July 24, 2016, it appears that the Q’s strongest competitor in the small interchangeable lens camera market, the Panasonic GM series including the GM-1 and GM-5, have been dropped from Panasonic’s camera lineup. Of course the Q is still hampered by a substandard sensor size as most photo enthusiasts have moved on to cameras with at least a 1 inch sensor but who knows how or if Pentax will respond.
08-10-2016, 12:53 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
the Q is still hampered by a substandard sensor

Your model railway shots don't look like its a substandard sensor, how do you rate them compared to your GM5 shots?
08-10-2016, 02:26 PM   #11
Pentaxian

According to rumors, which seem to be based on a Panasonic press release of July 24, 2016, it appears that the Q’s strongest competitor in the small interchangeable lens camera market, the Panasonic GM series including the GM-1 and GM-5, have been dropped from Panasonic’s camera lineup. Of course the Q is still hampered by a substandard sensor size as most photo enthusiasts have moved on to cameras with at least a 1 inch sensor but who knows how or if Pentax will respond.
As I have said multiple times here, I purchased a Q-7 specifically because of its sensor. I view it as being in the small sensor market, competing with cameras that are not ILC, and I'm not convinced there is much market for cameras with slightly larger sensors. Inspired by what others have done with the wildly successful Canon SX-50 and Nikon P-900 {each has a 1/2.3" sensor}, I wanted a sensor that would give me serious "magnification" when taking pictures of wildlife. Once I figured out lenses, loupe, and monopod, the Q-7 has more than met my expectations. I know you don't agree, but my personal opinion is that lack of EVF is the main barrier between the Q-family and more vigorous sales.
08-10-2016, 03:01 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
lack of EVF is the main barrier between the Q-family and more vigorous sales.
Hence a GM5 purchase over a GM1!
08-10-2016, 03:40 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Your model railway shots don't look like its a substandard sensor, how do you rate them compared to your GM5 shots?
You are correct about my model railroad images and I continue to use the Q7 for model RR shots because and only because it has a great depth of field. I discussed this in several blogs on my CWRailman WEB site. However when depth of field is not a concern the Q7 cannot match up with the image quality I achieve from my GM-5 which due to sensor size produces less depth of field and the GM-5 cannot match up with the image quality I get from my Fuji cameras. Each of these cameras has it’s own job. As I have noted in several other threads, cameras are like tools and like tools there are different cameras for different purposes. Some folks will try and pound a trim finishing nail with a sledge hammer and some will attempt to break rocks with a finishing hammer but the effort they expend in getting the inappropriate tool to do their job will be high and their success rate when using the improper tool will be very low. When you focus on the type of photography that interests you then you can select the type of camera best suited to YOUR needs and which feels best in YOUR hands. Just because a camera has all the capabilities and features you need does not mean that it will inspire you or facilitate your capturing the images you want to keep.
08-10-2016, 04:21 PM   #14
Pentaxian

yes, maybe...some may disagree with " Cannot matchup" though

Some reviews I read while researching GM1/5 reveal the IQ as very similar to that of qs1/q7(DXo and Blunty)

One thing that is significantly better(from my experience with GM1) is video

What will be interesting though is what Ricoh presents next month?
08-10-2016, 04:51 PM   #15
Pentaxian

You are correct about my model railroad images and I continue to use the Q7 for model RR shots because and only because it has a great depth of field. I discussed this in several blogs on my CWRailman WEB site. However when depth of field is not a concern the Q7 cannot match up with the image quality I achieve from my GM-5 which due to sensor size produces less depth of field and the GM-5 cannot match up with the image quality I get from my Fuji cameras. Each of these cameras has it’s own job. As I have noted in several other threads, cameras are like tools and like tools there are different cameras for different purposes. Some folks will try and pound a trim finishing nail with a sledge hammer and some will attempt to break rocks with a finishing hammer but the effort they expend in getting the inappropriate tool to do their job will be high and their success rate when using the improper tool will be very low. When you focus on the type of photography that interests you then you can select the type of camera best suited to YOUR needs and which feels best in YOUR hands. Just because a camera has all the capabilities and features you need does not mean that it will inspire you or facilitate your capturing the images you want to keep.
This {very reasonable} post disagrees with your "substandard size sensor" comment that some of us reacted to. There you were using what appeared to be an absolute measure that the Q-family cannot reach. Here you are using a relative measure that depends on the task at hand. My success rate at capturing wildlife has skyrocketed since I switched to the proper tool, namely the Q-7 with it's allegedly substandard sized sensor.

Last edited by reh321; 08-10-2016 at 07:02 PM.