Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2016, 01:30 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I always admired the Q, the masterpiece of engineering.
Added to it 01 + 02 + 06 and 08, great kit.
Upgraded to Q-s1, a bit plasticky but takes great pictures.
The most used lenses: 01 , 08 ,06 and not that popular 02.
I would love to add fast ultra wide prime to this kit.

08-14-2016, 08:27 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Can't get a picture unless you have a camera with you. With the Q cams, you can easily have 17mm eq. to 250mm+ eq. on your person and get some grab shots any time. These two shots are the extremes of the range: 251mm eq. with 06 on original Q, and 17mm eq. with 08 on Q7.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 

Last edited by Marktax; 08-15-2016 at 06:25 PM.
08-14-2016, 08:51 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
Can't get a picture unless you have a camera with you. With the Q cams, you can easily have 17mm eq. to 200mm+ eq. on your person and get some grab shots any time.

Ok, cannot argue with that. The Q is handy to take with. But what would it take for you to be willing to spend more money on the Q series?
08-14-2016, 12:37 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by oscaletrains Quote
Ok, cannot argue with that. The Q is handy to take with. But what would it take for you to be willing to spend more money on the Q series?
Stuff everything in the Q7 - Q-S1 back into the original Q body (metal) with a better LCD and add wifi now that eye-fi cards are going to be obsolete. I'd buy that even with the same sensor.

08-14-2016, 01:00 PM   #20

Original Poster
Wide prime

Macro prime

Electronic view finder

Tilt screen

Magnesium alloy frame covered by polycarbonate shell

Better resolution LCD
08-14-2016, 01:54 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Wide prime

Macro prime

Electronic view finder

Tilt screen

Magnesium alloy frame covered by polycarbonate shell

Better resolution LCD
The usual line is that the "Q" family was targeted primarily at the typical Japanese school-girl.
If that is still their thinking, we'll not see another one, since smart phones are clearly supreme in that market now.
Only if Pentax sees other markets as viable will they do any of this stuff.

Last edited by reh321; 08-14-2016 at 03:08 PM.
08-14-2016, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The usual line is that the "Q" family was targeted primarily at the typical Japanese school-girl.
If that is still their thinking, we'll not see another one, since smart phones are clearly supreme in that market now.
Only if Pentax see other markets as viable will they do any of this stuff.

You don't seriously believe that Pentax Corp would bring out a series of camera that cost as much as the Q series has, not to mention the cost of the premium lenses, to target "Japanese school-girls" do you? That's just crazy talk.

08-14-2016, 02:27 PM   #23
Banned

You don't seriously believe that Pentax Corp would bring out a series of camera that cost as much as the Q series has, not to mention the cost of the premium lenses, to target "Japanese school-girls" do you? That's just crazy talk.
Well the K-x in it's 100 color options sold in abundance to Japanese schoolgirls.
08-14-2016, 04:14 PM   #24
Pentaxian

I like my yellow Q7. I take it everywhere.
08-15-2016, 12:19 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I was tempted to buy an Q7 last year, although it looked already like it's time was over. I am still impressed by the image quality of Q. What drove me away was lack of EVF and only that. I bought OMD instead (since no K-01 with EVF option was there), which is obviously larger.

Whatever the market postion of Q was/is or what market is was intended for, I think it's a pity that Pentax doesnt offer something in that area. And if it only was a clip-on EVF...
08-16-2016, 11:26 AM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yucafrita Quote
I was tempted to buy an Q7 last year, although it looked already like it's time was over. I am still impressed by the image quality of Q. What drove me away was lack of EVF and only that. I bought OMD instead (since no K-01 with EVF option was there), which is obviously larger.

Whatever the market postion of Q was/is or what market is was intended for, I think it's a pity that Pentax doesnt offer something in that area. And if it only was a clip-on EVF...

That's not a bad idea. Frankly, I can't see Pentax being able to sell any new Q series camera without substantial upgrades, sensor included. It'd be interesting to see the actual sales figures for the 4 variations of Q's. Perhaps none of them sold as well as we would have all hoped, and from the number of people refusing to upgrade from the Q7 to the Qs1, I wonder if the Qs1 even left the starting gate in sales.
08-16-2016, 11:34 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yucafrita Quote

I believe the camera would have to be re-designed for a clip-on EVF to work.
I also question whether cameras with clip-on EVF are selling well at all.
08-16-2016, 11:58 AM   #28
Pentaxian

So what would it take, body wise, for any real excitement to happen again in the Q series.
The Q series has a split personality.

There's certainly the "Hello Kitty" market (QS series?), and any excitement there will involve cashing in on some new fashions, whatever they happen to be.

The other side of the Q, which I'm beginning to appreciate more and more over the years, is the "Leica of the 21st century" aspect: completely adequate IQ in an extremely portable, versatile, and unobtrusive package. We don't need excitement for that, but incremental improvements in features like AF speed (e.g. on-sensor PDAF) or in IQ (16MP?) would always be welcome.

and what particular lens exactly would it take for you to get more use out of whatever Q series camera you have?
I'm pretty well set as is: 01, 03, 06, and 08 as the mainstays, along with Voigtlander Apo-Lanthars (90mm and 180mm) for hand-held telephotography with the Pentax K to Q adapter.

The long-promised macro (09?) may be worthwhile as a substitute for adapted K-mount macro lenses,
and a collapsible replacement for the 02 kit zoom could be a real hit,
especially if it offers improved IQ at close focus and at the tele end.
08-16-2016, 02:20 PM   #29
Pentaxian

That's the explanation I've heard here for all the color variations and for the lack of an EVF. You don't have to believe that, but in any case, the question you need to answer before talking about the future of the line is "what needs will it meet?" {i.e., "what niche will it fit into?"}
08-16-2016, 03:15 PM   #30

Original Poster
Well, I got my qs1 today and I must say that yes, it feels plasticy and kind of cheap. Not at all the same feeling in hand of the original q or the q10. Can't comment on the 7 since I have never held one. But it takes nice photos so far.