Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
08-13-2016, 08:46 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Q Series love still exists?

Been away from the Q for the K1 for awhile but found a good deal on the S1 so thought it might be worth a look since I skipped the Q7. Looking back over this Q forum, it appears that there was lots of excitement when the original Q came out, not so much for the Q10. Then the Q7 came out and the excitement sort of ramped up again, but the QS1 probably generated the least excitement and fewest number of posts about it of all the series. So if I read this right, the Q10 was just a slightly upgraded Q, and the QS1 was a pretty ho hum upgraded Q7?

So what would it take, body wise, for any real excitement to happen again in the Q series...and what particular lens exactly would it take for you to get more use out of whatever Q series camera you have?

08-13-2016, 09:25 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by oscaletrains Quote
Been away from the Q for the K1 for awhile but found a good deal on the S1 so thought it might be worth a look since I skipped the Q7. Looking back over this Q forum, it appears that there was lots of excitement when the original Q came out, not so much for the Q10. Then the Q7 came out and the excitement sort of ramped up again, but the QS1 probably generated the least excitement and fewest number of posts about it of all the series. So if I read this right, the Q10 was just a slightly upgraded Q, and the QS1 was a pretty ho hum upgraded Q7?

So what would it take, body wise, for any real excitement to happen again in the Q series...and what particular lens exactly would it take for you to get more use out of whatever Q series camera you have?
We've had this discussion several times, but to summarize my thoughts so you won't have to read through the entire thing:

(1) I am basically "happy" with my Q-7; the one problem I had to surmount to convince myself to buy it is the lack of a viewfinder. Obviously, the one thing that would immediately draw me to a Q-S2 would be an EVF.

(2) When I got my first SLR over 40 years ago, a standard kit was 24/28mm, 50mm, and some kind of zoom telephoto lens. I have 2/3 of that with my 01 and 06 lenses; the 08 is a bit much for me, so what I would really like would be a "00" of about 4mm.
08-13-2016, 11:37 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I'd like a body with some kind of tilting screen, but still want it tiny. If they could add an EVF on top of that & still keep it small that would be great. I'd be happy with just the tilting screen alone, though.
I'd use this camera mainly for travel or where I don't want to lug a large camera to.
08-13-2016, 12:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I recently bid on a few Q-S1 on eBay. Didnīt win any, thereīs quite a lot of people bidding aggressively and the prices are not lower than they used to be.

08-13-2016, 01:36 PM   #5

Original Poster
So a wide prime, electronic view finder, and a tilt screen so far.

---------- Post added 08-13-16 at 01:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlG Quote
I recently bid on a few Q-S1 on eBay. Didnīt win any, thereīs quite a lot of people bidding aggressively and the prices are not lower than they used to be.

There have been some bodies only that sold pretty reasonably in the last month, or are you looking for a kit?
08-13-2016, 03:30 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm still using my Q7 system heavily, and I don't see that changing. However. . . I'd love to see something new. I think it's getting about time, if Pentax want to keep this system going. My personal wish is for a "Super Q", something like a miniature OM-D with the EVF and tilt screen. But Pentax may have a completely different idea. . . I reckon whatever they do, it'll be something good, because they've just been turning out one superb camera body after another.
08-13-2016, 03:41 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I use Q7 and even Q, with Q lenses and with K lenses w/ adapter. If they stop making them, I will probably buy a few used Q7 backup bodies to make sure I am set for a good while.

08-13-2016, 04:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

My Q with the 01 is in my camera bag. I don't know why as I rarely use it. I got the box and the accessories I bought together last week preparatory to putting it up for sale. If it had an EVF, I might use it more often.

I'm not sure that, for me, it has any advantage over a smart phone - except that I can use a camera but not a smart phone.
08-13-2016, 06:38 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I use Q7 and even Q, with Q lenses and with K lenses w/ adapter. If they stop making them, I will probably buy a few used Q7 backup bodies to make sure I am set for a good while.

I did that a lot with the original Q and it was fun for awhile, but not so much any more. I just don't see any advantage to it unless you are using the Q crop factor to increase your long range potential, and that pretty much forces you onto a tripod. Sort of like the K1 makes lenses that were of little use on previous crop bodies "wide" again, which is great...but if you are looking for wild life at a distance hand held you still seem better off with a crop factor body over the Q or the K1.
08-13-2016, 06:53 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

I did that a lot with the original Q and it was fun for awhile, but not so much any more. I just don't see any advantage to it unless you are using the Q crop factor to increase your long range potential, and that pretty much forces you onto a tripod. Sort of like the K1 makes lenses that were of little use on previous crop bodies "wide" again, which is great...but if you are looking for wild life at a distance hand held you still seem better off with a crop factor body over the Q or the K1.
Definitely with a tripod. I use the Q7 with the A*600/5.6. I bring the bigger bodies too...
08-13-2016, 07:03 PM   #11

Original Poster
I guess I need to add my lens choice to this too. I think a macro lens with good DOF would be of the most use. But more primes would also be welcome.

So a wide prime, a macro, an electronic view finder, and a tilt screen...
08-13-2016, 07:36 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I don't use a digital camera very often but, when I do, I almost always use my Q or Q7. They are perfect for just about everything I need.

In fact, the Q system is the only camera besides my Minolta SRT102 and Pentax 645 that deserve their own camera bag.
08-13-2016, 08:13 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Not a tripod, but I do use a monopod {which doubles as a walking stick}. My backyard testing showed that for a given lens, my Q-7 does much better than my K-30 because once I crop away nearly 90% of the pixels, the K-30 can't provide much detail.

---------- Post added 08-13-16 at 11:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
My Q with the 01 is in my camera bag. I don't know why as I rarely use it. I got the box and the accessories I bought together last week preparatory to putting it up for sale. If it had an EVF, I might use it more often.

I'm not sure that, for me, it has any advantage over a smart phone - except that I can use a camera but not a smart phone.
Roughly half the pictures I take are with my K-30 and roughly half with my Q-7, and very few with my smart phone.

Q-7 + 01 lens fits comfortably in my pocket and gives better images than the smart phone does.

Last edited by reh321; 08-13-2016 at 08:29 PM.
08-13-2016, 08:58 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Q-7 + 01 lens fits comfortably in my pocket and gives better images than the smart phone does.
The Q is too big for my pockets (I'm usually in shorts, even in winter, with just a fob pocket and a hip pocket, and T- shirts don't often have a pocket) so it usually hangs on a wrist strap when I do use it. A smart phone gives good enough quality for the times I need a camera when out and about.
08-14-2016, 01:19 AM - 1 Like   #15
ebk
Loyal Site Supporter

my Pentax q7 is good for holidays.
light !!! with a k-adapter and a 50 mm lens
you can take good pic.s.

the Pentax q must stay on !!!!!!!