Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2016, 10:32 AM   #1

Q-S1 for Video

Hi,

New here. Wanting to get a Q-S1 for shooting video.

Has anyone here shot much video with this camera? Have not been able to find much around the net for video samples shot by this cam.

Thanks

NK

08-18-2016, 12:38 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Q-S1 is almost identical to the Q7, so you could look for sample clips from that camera, too. The Q is decent for video as far as features are concerned, but the image quality is average at best.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-18-2016, 02:10 PM   #3

Yes, Q7 and Q-S1 are almost identical but as far as I know the one of few differences (if not the only) between Q7 and Q-S1 is the continuous AF in video mode in Q-S1. To activate AF in video in Q7 you must press and hold OK button.
08-18-2016, 02:36 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Seeing you are considering a compact size camera, do some research on Panasonic GM1 and GM5.These do video much better than the Qs.Cost isn't that different, there will be runout bargains due to Panasonics realignment of model configuration too.

08-18-2016, 05:25 PM   #5

Original Poster
Guy's .....thanks for the input

I will come back to this thread in a few weeks. Right now i am setting off on a 16 hour drive up into the far north of the country and into the deep bush. Lots of time to think about these comments as i am driving tonight.

Best

NK

---------- Post added 08-18-16 at 05:37 PM ----------

Ok, so just took a quick look at the GM5.

Wont work for me. The GM5 is a m4/3 sensor. I have D mount Cine Nikkor lenses. D mount wont cover a m43 sensor and i really want to use the Cine Nikkors. D mount lenses are TINY, so gels in with the theme of tiny camera.

Trying to get the rig as small and minimal as possible while still getting 1080p footage.

NK
08-18-2016, 09:29 PM   #6
CDW
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NedKelly Quote
Guy's .....thanks for the input

I will come back to this thread in a few weeks. Right now i am setting off on a 16 hour drive up into the far north of the country and into the deep bush. Lots of time to think about these comments as i am driving tonight.

Best

NK

---------- Post added 08-18-16 at 05:37 PM ----------

Ok, so just took a quick look at the GM5.

Wont work for me. The GM5 is a m4/3 sensor. I have D mount Cine Nikkor lenses. D mount wont cover a m43 sensor and i really want to use the Cine Nikkors. D mount lenses are TINY, so gels in with the theme of tiny camera.

Trying to get the rig as small and minimal as possible while still getting 1080p footage.

NK
The format might be 1080P but the actual resolution will be far less, probably closer 720P, if that. I'm curious as to why the need for TINY at the expense of image quality.
08-19-2016, 01:09 AM   #7
ebk
Loyal Site Supporter

very good of you: NedKelly.

i have a Q7, and is a good one.
08-19-2016, 02:32 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote
The format might be 1080P but the actual resolution will be far less, probably closer 720P, if that. I'm curious as to why the need for TINY at the expense of image quality.
I want to do street shooting in cities. In this neck of the woods, having bigger expensive gear hanging around your neck can lead to a whole lot of trouble.

I also want to go into villages to shoot stuff. Big gear makes people run and hide. A small camera seems not to be seen as a threat. This makes approaching and interacting with people easier and more rewarding.

Better to get lower quality 720p footage then nothing at all. I dont have the camera yet so all this is only my thoughts running wild. I am thinking of shooting in B+W with the "baby" camera to intercut with BMPCC footage that is done in colour. Not sure yet. Will need to see how the footage holds up before i can really plan out anything.

Main thrust of this Q idea is that the camera is just a box to record ideas and interacting with people who have interesting stories is far more important then video specs.. An audience will watch anything that is interesting to them - no matter how low end the footage comes over. Its the story, not the gear. Whats important here is the tiny camera/lens setup that allows getting up close and personal.

Landscapes and supporting footage can be captured other ways.

I guess i am saying in a long winded way, the right tool for the job at hand. When i need an 8mm spanner thats what i will grab from the tool box. When i need a 10lb sledge i will grab that for the job calling for it.

Anyways, its sure going to be interesting digging in to see whats what with this cam.

Regards

NK

---------- Post added 08-19-16 at 02:36 AM ----------

Had to stop and make a service call to one of my clients (for my real life job - satellite communications) on the way up into the bush, hence having this connection. But this is really it this time. No more connections where i am headed, so i wont be able to reply to anything further for some weeks.

But thanks for the input so far. Love getting other peoples view points.

Regards

NK