Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2016, 12:57 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
One feature of the Q7 that still impresses me is it's ability to focus in low light conditions as I delineated in this thread from a while back. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/300513-shot-dark.html

I am not sure that everyone realized I had indicated that the room was totally dark and I had just aimed the Q7 in the general direction of the entertainment center. I have since tried this with every other camera I have procured and have not found one other camera to lock on focus, give the indication of locked focus and then take the image in such a dark room.

09-01-2016, 01:17 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Q7 + 1= good in lowlight.
09-01-2016, 01:26 PM - 2 Likes   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One of the things Q can do well is, something needs deeper DOF in "relative" low light such as group pictures in limited space. You will have to stop down a lot to have everyone covered on larger formate camera, which will push ISO higher. You can still shot "wide-open" on Q
09-01-2016, 01:39 PM   #49
Pentaxian

Q7 +1 = perfect after dark street shooter.

09-01-2016, 02:23 PM   #50
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
But for leisure, I will always grab the Q. It encourages play.
I have a 20"x11" long exposure night print hanging in my living room that never fails to receive compliments. John's success with the platform is impressive, he may be the most accomplished in the states. His closing comment is exactly what keeps my attention, no other camera inspires playful experimentation like the Q. When I am bored and feel stagnated, I take 2 lenses and the Q for an outing to rekindle my spirits.

Lee
09-01-2016, 02:29 PM   #51
Banned

3 week's from now we know if Q has a future. If it isn't on Photokina then it belongs to history.
09-01-2016, 08:23 PM   #52

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Obviously, you've used the other 77 too?
nah still working my way thru them, one of the production houses i work at owns about 25 different lenses in m43 mount (we use them on blackmagic pocket cine cameras, not a panasonic/olympus m43 cameras) the ones that get used the most from that collection are the 3 that i mentioned (Lumix X 12-35mm f/2.8 ASPH Power OIS, Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm f/2.8 Power OIS,Voigtlander Nokton 25mm f/0.95) and for everything else its the pl mount arriflex and zeiss that get chosen.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
I am looking at a 12x19 print hanging on my wall right now that was taken with the original Q and the standard 02 zoom. It is bright, colorful and I can see the veins in the leaves of the trees that are close.
the average viewing distance for prints that size is about 4 feet give or take 1ft, as far as I'm concern the original Q resolves plenty
enough detail for that viewing distance.

QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
One of the things Q can do well is, something needs deeper DOF in "relative" low light such as group pictures in limited space. You will have to stop down a lot to have everyone covered on larger formate camera, which will push ISO higher. You can still shot "wide-open" on Q
the internal flash will still fire right upto 1/2000 so you can add nice catch light too or trigger a cactus RF60 flash for more creative options (the leaf shutter advantage, just to bad that pentax nerfed the hotshoe)

Last edited by Ratcheteer; 09-01-2016 at 08:41 PM.
09-17-2016, 02:48 PM   #53
Veteran Member

I believe in the right tool for the job thinking

I use a Pentax K30 for sports and wildlife I have a 18-135, and 55-300 and some primes

For travel I used my Canon S100 and a Pentax Q7 W/ 06 lens

For walking around I like the S100

Just recently I got a Panasonic GM5 for better IQ when traveling and to confuse things so now I still like the S100 and K30 but the Q7 collects dust because I also have 3 lenses for the GM5 a 12-32, 25-100 & 45-200

I still always carry the S100 in a belt case and when traveling add the GM5 with the 2 short zooms

The down side of the GM5 is it uses a kind of electronic rolling shutter and is subject to some distortion on moving subjects when panning or subject movement, if I had known that I would have gone Olympus. This reduces the GM5's abilities for wildlife with the 45-200 and forces it to scapes and still subjects
09-19-2016, 05:04 PM   #54

To invest in Q system ?
Easy answer :
# No !
Q system is dead. Keep your money. Period.
# Yes !
Q system is dead. Plenty of gear to come on the cheap side. Just do it, and take photos.

I've bought the Q7 naked (to use on a telescope). I've now the 01, 02, 06, bought used.
When you've a heavy gear to carry for wildlife, it's very pleasant to have in your poket a featherweight 5mm/24mm FF and a featherweight 45mm/200mm FF.
Of course : No future.
09-19-2016, 05:20 PM   #55
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Phenix jc Quote
To invest in Q system ?
Easy answer :
# No !
Q system is dead. Keep your money. Period.
# Yes !
Q system is dead. Plenty of gear to come on the cheap side. Just do it, and take photos.
I'm not convinced that "Q" prices are going to drop much. I've been tracking "Q" and K-01 prices, and both have held well recently. There were two Q-7's for sale on eBay recently for roughly $150 each, but I wasn't willing to buy a spare until this week had passed with no announcement, and they're both gone now. Those who still have "Q" and K-01 in inventory may feel they have the last of the supply, so they'll just sell them at their price, whenever that comes.
09-19-2016, 10:43 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I'm not convinced that "Q" prices are going to drop much. I've been tracking "Q" and K-01 prices, and both have held well recently. There were two Q-7's for sale on eBay recently for roughly $150 each, but I wasn't willing to buy a spare until this week had passed with no announcement, and they're both gone now. Those who still have "Q" and K-01 in inventory may feel they have the last of the supply, so they'll just sell them at their price, whenever that comes.
Well, if the Q series is being discontinued then the resulting impact of that announcement might be similar to what happened when the Panasonic GM series was discontinued. The low prices on the Q7 will evaporate and deals will only be available from people looking to move on to a different system. I have monitored the Q7 prices and as indicated there are far fewer of them being listed than either the Q10 or the Qs1.