Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2016, 10:53 AM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
That's an odd result, because the Sigma has a reputation for softness at the long end. According to DXOMark, the 55-300mm should be sharper at f5.8 than the Sigma at f11.
Click on Measurements, Sharpness, Field Map, focal and aperture: https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compare/Side-by-side/70-300mm-f-4-5.6-APO-DG-...59_865_279_914
Those results are irrelevant unless they used the same scale sensor as I'm using. Perhaps I'm using the best part of the Sigma.

Not to insult you, but the IQ of that image is not within acceptable range for me, even at this small size.
No insult taken.
That is by far the best I've gotten with anything in my budget.

I'm guessing that many results from the "Q" wouldn't meet your lofty standards.

Last edited by reh321; 09-16-2016 at 11:00 AM.
09-16-2016, 02:08 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Those results are irrelevant unless they used the same scale sensor as I'm using. Perhaps I'm using the best part of the Sigma.
Valid point regarding the Sigma, but I still wonder about your 55-300.

No insult taken.
That is by far the best I've gotten with anything in my budget.

I'm guessing that many results from the "Q" wouldn't meet your lofty standards.
I sold my Q system. It was great within its operating window, but the window was very limited.
09-16-2016, 02:23 PM   #33
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GregMac Quote
Both were shot in automatic mode in the 'portrait' setting
As another mentioned, why use the portrait setting? Try other settings. I've never used the portrait setting on my Q, and images are sharp.
09-16-2016, 03:05 PM   #34
Site Supporter

Valid point regarding the Sigma, but I still wonder about your 55-300.
Part of the issue with the DA 55-300 is that I have to depend on the Genuine Pentax Adapter to set the aperture. If I recall correctly, for those shots I set the aperture on the Sigma using the Sigma's aperture ring, and then used the adapter's ring to find a setting that gave me the same shutter speed when using the DA {ISO being held constant}. I've never quite trusted that means of setting the aperture, but it is all I have for that lens.

09-16-2016, 03:44 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Part of the issue with the DA 55-300 is that I have to depend on the Genuine Pentax Adapter to set the aperture.
How do they compare on your DSLR?
09-16-2016, 04:03 PM   #36
Site Supporter

How do they compare on your DSLR?
I've never used the Sigma on it.
I got the Sigma as a possible birding lens because of its aperture ring.
I'm happy with the DA 55-300 on my K-30, so it never occurred to me to move the Sigma to my K-30 bag.

added: I should also mention that I have complained on more than one occasion about the Genuine Pentax Adapter.
Comparing its cost to the cost of a 01 lens, I believe that it should provide more than a leaf shutter {although I'm very happy to have the leaf shutter};
I believe it would be much more useful if it had the electronics needed to provide a complete KAF3 mount.
{yes, I know that would eat up the battery faster - I would carry a pocketful of batteries}

Last edited by reh321; 09-16-2016 at 04:08 PM. Reason: added thought