Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2016, 01:31 PM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
FastStone will convert these at full size. It huffed and puffed a bit, and showed "Not Responding" intermittently, but it did finish. Bit depth is 24, though. I specified changing color depth to 8 bits, but... I don't know. The JPGs are actually larger than the DNGs.

IrfanView has an option "Try to load embedded preview image if possible" under Plugins. It was checked. After clearing that, it loads them at full size. And it will convert the 24-bit color to 8.

Talk about jumping through flaming hoops.

09-23-2016, 01:41 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ah yes, things get super complicated once you dive in! Then there is color space (should be set to the same one in camera as well as all the software and export, usually sRGB), camera color profile, and so on.
09-23-2016, 01:58 PM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
Maybe I'll just shoot JPGs with the Q7, and leave the DNGs to the K50. Photography is supposed to be fun.

09-25-2016, 12:50 PM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
The Plot Sickens

Yesterday I switched to shooting JPGs, as I said, and they worked fine.

Today, I decided to go to RAW+, and I found that the "reduced-resolution image data" in the DNGs, instead of being 1920 x 1440, now matches the full-size data.

I swear I can hear the theme to The Twilight Zone starting to echo through my brain.

09-26-2016, 03:47 AM   #20
Pentaxian

You can always try Pentax Digital Camera Utility on your Q DNG's (free software for Pentax DSLR's). It gives very good color and quite good details (set Sharpness to Fine Sharpness if it will not be default setting), so you can eventually develop all RAW files from SD card to jpg's in a batch mode and it is always possible to edit them further. I found also auto white balance of PDCU very good.