Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2016, 04:56 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ricoh appears to confirm that Q will continue

The Ricoh representative in the interview just posted says Q will continue:

"The Q line will continue, and the Q-S1 is still a current model. However, since there are no new Q models at this time, we did not display the Q system at Photokina."

Read more at: Photokina 2016 Pentax Interview - Photokina 2016 | PentaxForums.com

09-24-2016, 05:17 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I also found it interesting the Nikon said pretty much the same of their Nikon 1 system.
Perhaps Fotokina will need to change to a 3 year cycle...

M
09-24-2016, 05:54 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
I also found it interesting the Nikon said pretty much the same of their Nikon 1 system.
Perhaps Fotokina will need to change to a 3 year cycle...

M
Maybe both companies are negotiating with Sony for the 1" sensor. Not sure if the Q lenses could cover that large a sensor but it would be fun trying.
09-24-2016, 06:23 AM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote

"The Q line will continue, and the Q-S1 is still a current model. However, since there are no new Q models at this time, we did not display the Q system at Photokina."
That's good to hear. It'd be a shame if they killed off the line. It's quirky, but I really like it

09-24-2016, 06:46 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Read more at: Photokina 2016 Pentax Interview - Photokina 2016 | PentaxForums.com
In other words, they will continue to produce them as long as we continue to buy them??
09-24-2016, 07:45 AM   #6
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Glad to hear that the "Q" will continue!
09-24-2016, 09:15 AM   #7
Pentaxian

"The Q line will continue, and the Q-S1 is still a current model......"

It sounds very specific and affirmative that "the Q line will continue" - and I am happy to hear that. But I am somewhat mystified that "the Q-S1 is still a current model", considering that the only Ricoh-Imaging webshop that still has it available seems to be the Japanese one. The Scandinavian webshops had a limited number of configurations available until sometime last week as "special offer", but just as I had decided to pull the trigger on a Q-S1 to complement my Q10 it - and all references to Mirrorless - had vanished overnight, grrrrrr! (Well, I then found a used one with only 919 shutter actuations on the German eBay. Should arrive early next week).

09-24-2016, 02:49 PM   #8
Banned

Photos: Gallery
For Ricoh even GXR is a current model, even there isn't anything new for years. Maybe you can find them somewhere, but even Ricoh Imaging Europe doesn't have them on sale.

http://shop-nl.ricoh-imaging.eu/kameras.html

So unless something Happens, it is virtual discontinued.
09-24-2016, 03:01 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
It sounds very specific and affirmative that "the Q line will continue" - and I am happy to hear that. But I am somewhat mystified that "the Q-S1 is still a current model", considering that the only Ricoh-Imaging webshop that still has it available seems to be the Japanese one. The Scandinavian webshops had a limited number of configurations available until sometime last week as "special offer", but just as I had decided to pull the trigger on a Q-S1 to complement my Q10 it - and all references to Mirrorless - had vanished overnight, grrrrrr! (Well, I then found a used one with only 919 shutter actuations on the German eBay. Should arrive early next week).
There is still a good supply of Q-S1's by U.S. dealers, but there are also supplies of Q-7's and K-01's. I don't know what that means; I suppose it could mean that someone(s) bought too many several years ago, and are having a hard time unloading them ... but the prices don't reflect any urgency to sell them.
09-24-2016, 03:37 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Never say a product line is discontinued, otherwise you'll have trouble getting rid of its inventory in your warehouses, and you've dudded the brick and mortar stores who bought floor stock from you. A la Samsung, just whistle and hope nobody's noticed. :-)
09-24-2016, 04:49 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Samsungs not discontinued either(but Note7 FIRE sale), they are loud whistlers!
09-24-2016, 08:19 PM   #12

Maybe both companies are negotiating with Sony for the 1" sensor. Not sure if the Q lenses could cover that large a sensor but it would be fun trying.
better yet - turn the Q into a Micro Four Thirds...
09-24-2016, 08:27 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
For Ricoh even GXR is a current model.
No, Ron, they're just selling off their remaining S10 modules:

GXR / Digital Cameras | RICOH IMAGING

Everything else is "Discontinued".

---------- Post added 09-24-16 at 10:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by emergo Quote
better yet - turn the Q into a Micro Four Thirds...
That would detract from the specific strengths of the Q system,
the compactness of the high-quality zooms (06, 08),
and the tremendous depth of field.

If they're smart, they'll bring out the 09 tele-macro,
which would be great for moving subjects (like bugs)
where stacking is not a viable option.
09-25-2016, 03:08 AM - 1 Like   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

That's what they said, but I'm not convinced, to be honest. Let's see a new model!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-25-2016, 03:47 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
I never really got the point of Nikon's "1" system...it seems like the bodies and lenses are not much smaller than m43. And it wasn't exactly inexpensive either.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 09-25-2016 at 06:32 AM.