Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2016, 06:22 PM   #1
Forum Member

AF540fgz intermittently firing when used on the Pentax Q7

Hi, I first want to say that I do not have any experience at all on using external flash on any type of camera. I saw a an AF540FGZ on a thrift store for $5 and just couldn't pass up on the deal.

Now I'm trying to use it with my Pentax Q7 and it seems that the flash works intermittently. I've read some posts regarding external flashes being used on the Pentax Q system and I read about having the internal flash disabled, when I do have the internal flash disabled it doesn't fire the AF540 at all. I can only get it to fire when I have the internal flash set to FLASH ON and even then it would just work intermittently, the camera takes a photo when I press the shutter but the external flash wont fire.

Although I am leaning towards that this flash unit might be broke because even pressing the test button doesn't work all the time. I just wanted to see if there is anything else missing.

10-14-2016, 03:24 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
The AF540FGZ should work without any problems on a Q series camera. I have used one on both a Q10 and a Q-S1 and it worked just as well as on larger Pentax cameras, although the flash is of course huge and heavy compared to the Q series cameras so the combination is not very practical. Your flash is probably broken. Considering the price it was sold for that is perhaps not surprising.
10-14-2016, 06:03 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the flash is broken someone may buy it for parts.
10-14-2016, 02:37 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gylfimag Quote
The AF540FGZ should work without any problems on a Q series camera. I have used one on both a Q10 and a Q-S1 and it worked just as well as on larger Pentax cameras, although the flash is of course huge and heavy compared to the Q series cameras so the combination is not very practical. Your flash is probably broken. Considering the price it was sold for that is perhaps not surprising.
Thanks for your input I figured that the flash might be broken as I assume the test button should work everytime I press it, but it doesnt. Atleast I'm only down 5$. I'll see how much its gonna cost to repair and maybe it might still be worth it.

---------- Post added 10-14-16 at 02:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
If the flash is broken someone may buy it for parts.
Hi, do you know of a website for me to sell it to? I don't know if the buy and sell section allows for broken units to be sold.

Last edited by someone902; 10-14-2016 at 02:51 PM. Reason: grammar
10-14-2016, 04:07 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by someone902 Quote
Thanks for your input I figured that the flash might be broken as I assume the test button should work everytime I press it, but it doesnt. Atleast I'm only down 5$. I'll see how much its gonna cost to repair and maybe it might still be worth it.

---------- Post added 10-14-16 at 02:43 PM ----------

Hi, do you know of a website for me to sell it to? I don't know if the buy and sell section allows for broken units to be sold.
I thought you could sell off broken items here - I recall seeing other units but they may have escaped notice. You might check with Adam. Other than that - ebay?
10-16-2016, 12:55 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Look at the flash foot. See the negative terminal in the groove of the foot? Hold an insulated wire and touch one end to that connection and the other end to the big center contact. Does this fire the flash every time? This circumvents the test fire switch.

If you are diy at all, consider removing screws at bottom of flash that hold foot on. Just inspect the wires aren't kinked, broken, etc. Perhaps try test firing the flash with foot dangling to see if it is still troublesome. You can always put it back togeteher and sell it as not working.

If needed, repair should cost less than buying a new flash.
Good luck
Thanks,
barondla