Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2016, 01:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Current Q question

I have an original Q, and while I love it... it's slow. SLOW. SLOOOOOW. Just switching between camera mode and looking at the images and then back again takes ages. I understand there are new Q's out there now with bigger sensors (which may make my fisheye more useful too). I'm not sure how many models have been made with the new sensor, as I've been away from the forum for a while. The big question is do any of these have the same quality construction, look, and feel as the original Q? Do they retain that super-useful front dial too?

Charles.

10-18-2016, 01:50 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have Q/Q10/Q7.....the magnesium body of the Q is the best but both newer bodies are better cameras.The bigger 7/S1 sensor is definitely worth the investment.
10-18-2016, 02:04 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think that I would try a faster SD card myself. A Class 10 card is the minimum I would be using. If it is taking a long time to write to the card than increased write speed will certainly improve that, sometimes quite a bit.

Downloading more often and reformatting the card can also help. This is especially true of cards with lots of memory.

Finally, your card could be warning that it is getting ready to quit on you. Buying a new card may be necessary.

I have the Original Q and the Q7, and though I don't chimp all that much, I don't notice a lot of difference in speed.
10-18-2016, 02:54 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
Do they retain that super-useful front dial too?
Charles.
They all have what I would describe as "that super-annoying front dial". {I have mine set to control focus-peaking on/off, because that is harmless; the first year I had my Q-7, that dial was getting turned somehow, and I often found that settings had been changed from what I thought they were}

10-18-2016, 05:48 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
I have an original Q, and while I love it... it's slow. SLOW. SLOOOOOW. Just switching between camera mode and looking at the images and then back again takes ages. I understand there are new Q's out there now with bigger sensors (which may make my fisheye more useful too). I'm not sure how many models have been made with the new sensor, as I've been away from the forum for a while. The big question is do any of these have the same quality construction, look, and feel as the original Q? Do they retain that super-useful front dial too?

Charles.
Do you have a really slow memory card and/or distortion correction enabled? Either one of those could cause big delays in responsiveness.

And yes, while the newer Q models don't have the metal body, they're otherwise superior to the original model in just about every way.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-19-2016, 12:19 AM   #6
makkan

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
They all have what I would describe as "that super-annoying front dial". {I have mine set to control focus-peaking on/off, because that is harmless; the first year I had my Q-7, that dial was getting turned somehow, and I often found that settings had been changed from what I thought they were}
How did you achieve that? I would love to use the front dial for things like ND filter, focus peaking and other more useful features.
10-19-2016, 05:49 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by makkan Quote
How did you achieve that? I would love to use the front dial for things like ND filter, focus peaking and other more useful features.
Menu
..camera-3
....Quick Dial

then you can pick
.. Smart Effect
.. Aspect Ratio
.. Focus Method
.. Focus Peaking
.. ND Filter

10-19-2016, 09:21 AM   #8
makkan

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Menu
..camera-3
....Quick Dial

then you can pick
.. Smart Effect
.. Aspect Ratio
.. Focus Method
.. Focus Peaking
.. ND Filter

Hmm... seems like that feature isn't available on the original Q. :/
10-19-2016, 10:57 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by makkan Quote
Hmm... seems like that feature isn't available on the original Q. :/
Correct. I have the menu set to remember which page it has to open at,
and switch the ND filter on and off with a few keystrokes.

On the Q7 and QS-1, I have the front dial programmed
to do ND filter on (1,3) and off (2,4).
It's annoying that the front dial is only a "one trick pony",
and can't combine, say, the ND filter on/off with the shake reduction on/off.

In terms of build quality,
I feel that there's been a successive downgrading
from Q to Q7 to QS-1.
The Q is absolutely tight,
and the Q7 is OK,
while the card door on the QS-1 feels sloppy.
10-19-2016, 11:33 AM   #10
makkan

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Correct. I have the menu set to remember which page it has to open at,
and switch the ND filter on and off with a few keystrokes.

On the Q7 and QS-1, I have the front dial programmed
to do ND filter on (1,3) and off (2,4).
It's annoying that the front dial is only a "one trick pony",
and can't combine, say, the ND filter on/off with the shake reduction on/off.

In terms of build quality,
I feel that there's been a successive downgrading
from Q to Q7 to QS-1.
The Q is absolutely tight,
and the Q7 is OK,
while the card door on the QS-1 feels sloppy.
Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Regarding the Q-S1 build quality, I do have to agree. Although I only owned the Q-S1 briefly it's night and day just holding the camera. I didn't think of it when I hadn't tried the original Q but when I finally did.