Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2016, 09:16 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Car Show: Goodguys Lone Star Nationals 2016

I had a bit of dilemma when choosing which camera to carry. On the one hand, the Q7 would be the most convenient, and by this time I feel like I know it inside and out. On the other hand, I had much higher-specified cameras that I could take, including my new (used) Sony A7, which in theory should be much more capable. But you know, I just hadn't figured out all the Sony's quirks yet, and I didn't feel confident with it. So, the Q7 got the job.

I'm pleased with how it turned out.

10-20-2016, 10:07 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
I'm pleased with how it turned out.
Looks like you & the Q did just fine - nice set of shots
10-20-2016, 02:11 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Great shots. Very impressive with the Q IMHO. Thank you for sharing.
10-20-2016, 06:30 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Oh, I forgot to mention. . . The 1949 Dodge Power Wagon is mine. We pulled it out of the barn back in January. The guys at Armadillo Auto Restoration have been working it over since then, and they pulled an all-nighter (up until 4AM) to get it put together and running (barely) enough to take it to the show. We're still waiting on a custom wiring harness from one of their suppliers before they can finish it up completely and I can take delivery -- maybe in another week or two from now, I hope!

10-20-2016, 11:39 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
. . .
NICE motorcycle wheelie shot!

Last edited by fredralphfred; 10-20-2016 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Because apparently QuickReply quotes the WHOLE POST!
10-21-2016, 10:02 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That Powerwagon series is very interesting - never seen one of those before - looks like a real beast - does it have power steering?

don't all rebuilds run down to the wire - that's my impression from all the rebuild shows on TV...;-)
10-22-2016, 05:31 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
That Powerwagon series is very interesting - never seen one of those before - looks like a real beast - does it have power steering?
It don't have power nothing. . . unless you count the PTO winch!

We've made very few upgrades during the restoration. The guys at the shop strongly recommended putting in better brakes, plus a synthetic winch cable. I insisted on adding synchromesh, which the later Power Wagons in this series came with. We both thought bolting on some turn signals and brake lights would be a good idea.

And yes, it is a "beast". These were introduced in 1945 (with 1946 as the first model year) as soon as car makers were able to start producing vehicles for civilian sales again. Somebody at Dodge had the idea: let's go through the bin of military parts we're already making and put them together into something we can sell commercially! Maybe some of these returning G.I.s would like to have something like the military trucks they're already familiar with. And the result was what some have called the toughest pickup truck ever made.

They were made from 1945 to 1978 with only minor changes -- only an expert can tell the first one apart from the last. In the 1960s, emissions rules caught up with it, and it wasn't economical for Dodge to redesign the power train to meet them. The US Forest Service testified before Congress trying to get an exemption, since they were unable to find another vehicle to take its place! They didn't get their exemption, but Dodge kept on making and exporting them. It was a dinosaur, and the tooling was all wearing out, but every time they wanted to shut down production they'd get a call from some oil company working in Brazil or the Congo saying, "Send us another two thousand Power Wagons!"

It's not exactly a rare truck, as such, but a great many of them were beat up and worn out, and most of the surviving ones have been converted into mud buggies or the like. Very few are restored like we've done with mine.

QuoteQuote:
don't all rebuilds run down to the wire - that's my impression from all the rebuild shows on TV...;-)
I'd hoped from the start to have it ready for the Comanche County Pow-Wow. That was a week earlier, so obviously we missed that one. At the shop they have several cars in the works at any given time, but the pace is determined largely by the customers. There was one guy ahead of me who really, really wanted his car done urgently, and he prevailed on them to drop everything else for about three weeks. And I was really OK with that, since if I don't make it to one car show, there's always another one coming up. It'll be done when it's done.

10-22-2016, 07:56 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice use of the Q7! Enjoyed the pictures. Power Wagon is cool. Hadn't seen that before. Superb restoration.

Would love to have that Road Runner Superbird. As a child I would often ride past a dealersip that had one new in the hot green color. I loved the looks of that car.

Great car show.
Thanks for sharing.
barondla