Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2016, 03:23 PM   #1

Q Monochrome : Beautiful!! - How to get same settings on K5

I used to have a Q, but sold it to get the K5 recently. .. the image quality is a BIG step up ... however I miss the 'monochrome' setting in the Q. (and the size , different matter).

If you look at file-size on the Q, there's actually a good bit more info in the B&W monochrome images, and the color images the Q produces. I would have thought it's the other way around, whatever 'monochrome' processing is .. it's killer!

Does anyone know how to duplicate those settings in a K5? It's the same engine (I think) so they should be able to be set to give the same 'look' and vibe.

11-09-2016, 03:27 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you want to get the camera to output B&W jpegs, head over to the custom image menu, select monochrome, and then tune the contrast and color parameters to your liking.

If shooting raw, you can also apply all these settings via the camera's playback mode as well.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-10-2016, 11:16 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by loji Quote
I used to have a Q, but sold it to get the K5 recently. .. the image quality is a BIG step up ... however I miss the 'monochrome' setting in the Q. (and the size , different matter).

If you look at file-size on the Q, there's actually a good bit more info in the B&W monochrome images, and the color images the Q produces. I would have thought it's the other way around, whatever 'monochrome' processing is .. it's killer!

Does anyone know how to duplicate those settings in a K5? It's the same engine (I think) so they should be able to be set to give the same 'look' and vibe.
The file size is because the monochrome setting has a lot of grain added to it, and that makes the JPG compression algorithm less efficient.

BUt yeah, it would be great to have a preset option in Lightroom or even direct on the full size bodies that mimics the Q's Bold Monochrome, because it really looks great right out of the camera. Just converting to BW isn't even close.
11-11-2016, 09:43 AM   #4

Original Poster
Interesting about the grain .... that would make sense.

I've tried doing monochrome and pushing the contrast/saturation/etc.. in the camera, but it's not quite there.... (the closest was when I engaged the IR in the camera and played with the contrast) ... not a real IR filter, the pseudo IR mode in the monochrome options.

Narual ... could you maybe take the same pic the Q and with your K3? in raw ... then I could use the Raw developer in the K5 to experiment with the settings to get a match? I'd rather have a user mode in the camera than try to muck about in lightroom ... I find there's a huge difference how I shoot when I'm seeing the actual image during composition.

11-15-2016, 07:29 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by loji Quote
I've tried doing monochrome and pushing the contrast/saturation/etc.. in the camera, but it's not quite there.... (the closest was when I engaged the IR in the camera and played with the contrast) ... not a real IR filter, the pseudo IR mode in the monochrome options.
Yeah, the "bold monochrome" is really unique and difficult to replicate not only in camera but even with processing software. I've tried to replicate it with either LR or Topaz B&W and, although it sometime comes close it's still not really it. And a preset that works with a picture will not with another one...

Pentax should really think to include this "bold monochrome" in all their bodies. Because, yes, it looks great right off the camera. I always tried to PP my pictures from the DNG but, more often than not, I'm ending keeping the BM jpg because I'm just unable to get something that looks and feels better. I can usually get something that is technically better, but the bold monochrome just gives a special mood to the picture that is very difficult to emulate...

If the Q line dissapears, it will be very sad to lose this jpg processing...

Last edited by CarlJF; 11-15-2016 at 07:40 PM.
11-16-2016, 01:23 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes, it is great setting. I sometimes underexpose carefully BM shots and bring back some shadow details in post in a RAW software. This gives IMHO even better results compared to the standard BM pictures.
11-21-2019, 02:14 PM - 2 Likes   #7

Original Poster
Well BOLD MONOCHROME is a feature on the Pentax 645Z ...

4-years after selling my Q, I have a Z . . . couldn't be much more different, but I've got BOLD MONOCHROME BACK!
11-22-2019, 03:38 AM   #8
Pentaxian

...does it work with some extended bracketing on the 645Z?

11-23-2019, 09:50 AM   #9

Original Poster
the bold monochrome is a digital filter selected in the view page ... so I imagine you could use the composite image feature to composite a bracketed exposure and then apply the bold monochrome look ...

just tested, and yes ... You can do this
12-27-2019, 05:03 PM   #10

Q series bold monochrome is great for snow covered landscapes.
12-29-2019, 01:36 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I wasn't previously aware of the bold monochrome setting (not a Q owner) but now I've seen it I really want to try it!