Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2016, 10:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Q Adapters?

I can find a ton of SLR lens adapters out there, but just on the off chance, does anyone know of an adapter that would fit a Canon XL Zoom to a Pentax Q series camera?
I've got a Canon XL-1 sitting in a roadcase with the 'Full Manual' lens, seems a waste not to be using it somewhere.

Reason for sudden interest in Q's? -> realising they're well under the weight limit of a new RC Helicopter

And the front element should be small enough to jury-rig a filter mount for the Letus Anamorphx for GoPro,... as the Feature film I'm shooting in April is being shot Anamorphic, and the Q sample vision I've found so far looks better then the vast majority of action cameras we were planning on using under the Heli.

If anyone has any sample vision of video from any of the Q models, in Muted profile with the SR off, I'd love to see it.

11-17-2016, 10:21 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I see you asked the question earlier without a clear answer:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/226470-oddball-lens-question.html

Based on my research it doesn't look like anyone has made an adapter, though it should theoretically be possible.

There also doesn't seem to be any intermediate adapter, such as XL to four-thirds or Nikon 1, which could then further be adapted to the Q. So I think you may be out of luck

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-18-2016, 12:14 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting idea. 4 or more years a gentleman 3D printed a Q lens adapter. Don't remember who did it or what lens mount was adapted. It was beautiful in his example photos. You might be able to search this forum to find the thread. Or check 3D printing forums/ groups for drawings and people to print it. Fairly easy as there aren't any electronics involved for the Q.
Hope this helps
barondla
11-18-2016, 03:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I see you asked the question earlier without a clear answer:
lol, completely forgot about that!

Ah, well, I'll blame a renewed interest in the Q series from needing a good camera under an RC Helicopter.

11-23-2016, 09:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
but presumably the distance is something similar to that of a C mount.
Finding the FFD for XL mount is proving tricky.

Probably going Yi 4K Actioncam with Ribcage mount and 5.2mm M12 lens, and the Letux Anamorphx for GoPro.

All the sample video I could find from the Q's so far seemed oversharpened and contrast heavy, which isn't good when you want to match footage to other cameras, such as a Cion with Lens turbo, Pentax primes and Lomo Anamorphic.
12-10-2016, 02:48 AM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
I can find a ton of SLR lens adapters out there, but just on the off chance, does anyone know of an adapter that would fit a Canon XL Zoom to a Pentax Q series camera?
I've got a Canon XL-1 sitting in a roadcase with the 'Full Manual' lens, seems a waste not to be using it somewhere.

Reason for sudden interest in Q's? -> realising they're well under the weight limit of a new RC Helicopter

And the front element should be small enough to jury-rig a filter mount for the Letus Anamorphx for GoPro,... as the Feature film I'm shooting in April is being shot Anamorphic, and the Q sample vision I've found so far looks better then the vast majority of action cameras we were planning on using under the Heli.

If anyone has any sample vision of video from any of the Q models, in Muted profile with the SR off, I'd love to see it.
What is canon XL? I googled and found compact camera with fixed lens and rather large camcorder.
12-14-2016, 08:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alliumnsk Quote
What is canon XL?
Interchangeable lens SD camcorders form a few years back.
The XL-1, XL-1s and XL-2 were DV based camcorders with interchangeable lenses.
The XL-H1 is the HDV version, with XL-H1a and XL-H1s coming later - 'a' for Analog output, 's' for HD-SDI output.

The XL-H1s with an Atomos Shogun is a great 'Behind Scenes' production rig.
The H1s has a secondhand price that isn't much lower then a brand new Aja Cion.

This guy appears to manufacture adapters for other lenses to XL, so he might be the guy to ask. He's Italian, but his website has an English section, so you might be able to simply write him an email without the need for a translator: Adriano Lolli - Home Page
Nice find! I'll have a look.

---------- Post added 15-12-16 at 02:24 PM ----------

Well now,.... PK to XL....

Adriano Lolli

Another thought that occurs, is XL to C mount,... in front of a GoPro or Yi4k with a Backbone Ribcage mod....

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 12-14-2016 at 08:28 PM.