Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2016, 11:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
C mount q adapter variations?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

So i have a qs1 coming, and i wanted to try using some cmount lenses.

A quick look on ebay yields 25mm and 16mm c/pq adapters.

Do i need both? What's the difference? My quick search on the forum yielded nothing, but i wasn't sure if I was using the right search terms or not..

11-20-2016, 02:58 AM   #2
Forum Member

Hi

25mm/16mm: I guess you are referring to the diameter of the thread ?
You have tons of nice camera lenses that can be adapted to the Q bodies

D mount (thread diameter of approx 16mm)
This mount is mostly used for old 8mm / Super 8mm video cameras.
The mount is described here : D mount - Wikipedia
Some nice lenses can be found, mostly for focals longer than 12mm.
Most of the wide angles produce vignetting, even on the small sensor of the Q, and even worse on Q7/QS1
The cheapest adapter I could find on Ebay can be found below
D mount 8mm movie lens to Pentax Q PQ P/Q Digital Camera Adapter Q7 Q10 Q-S1

C-mount (1 inch thread diameter):
This is a more recent mount used on 16mm vintage cameras/lenses and also for recent industrial vision lenses.
Obviously, the larger diameter with respect to D-mount allows less vignetting and better fitting to the Q7/QS1 line.
The mount is described here: C mount - Wikipedia
The cheapest adapter on Ebay is here :
Lens Adapter For C Mount to Pentax Q Q-S1 Q10 Q7 | eBay
This adapter has the advantage of allowing to adjust the rotation of the lens around its axis, so the top writing of the lens can be effectively on the top.
Beware of the confusion between C and CS mount, that have the same diameter but different registration distances (CS have a shorter distance). No adapter exist for CS lenses on Pentax Q, except if you drill a 25mm thread into a D-mount adapter and add a suitable spacer, which requires a lathe.
So double check to buy real C-mount lenses for your QS1. CS lenses are mostly cheap plastic things that can be found on recent vision cameras. C lenses are generally more substantial, often with a metal body.

You can have a look at the (really) long thread "adapted-lenses-tested-q-reference-thread"
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/209474-adapted-lenses-tested...ce-thread.html

One of the very best C-mount lenses I can recommend to you are the cute Swiss Kern-Paillard lenses, particularly the 16mm, that are gorgeous. And also most of the Fujinon are pure marvels. Some Pentax/Cosmicar are also nice. The Kowa are also of very high optical quality.

Enjoy your time and welcome to the world of C-mount lenses for Q.
11-21-2016, 01:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by skyclad666 Quote
Hi

25mm/16mm: I guess you are referring to the diameter of the thread ?
You have tons of nice camera lenses that can be adapted to the Q bodies

D mount (thread diameter of approx 16mm)
This mount is mostly used for old 8mm / Super 8mm video cameras.
The mount is described here : D mount - Wikipedia
Some nice lenses can be found, mostly for focals longer than 12mm.
Most of the wide angles produce vignetting, even on the small sensor of the Q, and even worse on Q7/QS1
The cheapest adapter I could find on Ebay can be found below
D mount 8mm movie lens to Pentax Q PQ P/Q Digital Camera Adapter Q7 Q10 Q-S1

C-mount (1 inch thread diameter):
This is a more recent mount used on 16mm vintage cameras/lenses and also for recent industrial vision lenses.
Obviously, the larger diameter with respect to D-mount allows less vignetting and better fitting to the Q7/QS1 line.
The mount is described here: C mount - Wikipedia
The cheapest adapter on Ebay is here :
Lens Adapter For C Mount to Pentax Q Q-S1 Q10 Q7 | eBay
This adapter has the advantage of allowing to adjust the rotation of the lens around its axis, so the top writing of the lens can be effectively on the top.
Beware of the confusion between C and CS mount, that have the same diameter but different registration distances (CS have a shorter distance). No adapter exist for CS lenses on Pentax Q, except if you drill a 25mm thread into a D-mount adapter and add a suitable spacer, which requires a lathe.
So double check to buy real C-mount lenses for your QS1. CS lenses are mostly cheap plastic things that can be found on recent vision cameras. C lenses are generally more substantial, often with a metal body.

You can have a look at the (really) long thread "adapted-lenses-tested-q-reference-thread"
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/209474-adapted-lenses-tested...ce-thread.html

One of the very best C-mount lenses I can recommend to you are the cute Swiss Kern-Paillard lenses, particularly the 16mm, that are gorgeous. And also most of the Fujinon are pure marvels. Some Pentax/Cosmicar are also nice. The Kowa are also of very high optical quality.

Enjoy your time and welcome to the world of C-mount lenses for Q.
Thanks so much for your detailed reply. I really appreciate it.

This is what I bought: Slim 25mm C Mount Movie CCTV Lens to Pentax Q Camera Mount Adapter Ring | eBay

and this is the other one that got me confused: 16mm C Mount Film to Pentax Q Camera Lens Adapter Q-S1 Q10 Q7 Q | eBay

The listing mentions 25mm and 16mm respectively, so I was a little confused.

Wish I'd seen the cheaper listing beforehand. Hadn't found that when looking earlier.

The seller I was talking to had some Swiss Kern-Pallard lenses for sale, but I was a little shocked at the prices... he was asking around the $250 mark (!!)

I had it in my head that these c mount lenses went for cheap... certainly cheaper than a standard DA or higher grade AF lens!

These are the only two that the seller I am currently talking to has in my price bracket (under $60)

1. Lumax (B&H) 1inch f1.9 and
2. Taylor Hobson Telekinic 4inch f4.5

He says the Taylor Hobson is good, but he hasn't tried the Lumax yet.

I'll go and take a look at the adapted lens thread you've suggested. I think I may have posted on there before with my Q and a 50mm lens a while ago. But really, the Q wasn't up to snuff for me. So I'll be interested to see how the qs1 compares - it should arrive by the end of hte month.
11-21-2016, 10:41 PM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
Thanks so much for your detailed reply. I really appreciate it.

This is what I bought: Slim 25mm C Mount Movie CCTV Lens to Pentax Q Camera Mount Adapter Ring | eBay

and this is the other one that got me confused: 16mm C Mount Film to Pentax Q Camera Lens Adapter Q-S1 Q10 Q7 Q | eBay

The listing mentions 25mm and 16mm respectively, so I was a little confused..
I think they are basically similar C-mount adapters, but with a one inch thread (=25mm) and mostly used for 16mm film camera lenses. The terminology are ambiguous. But the second adapter is better built, as it allows to reorient the angle of the lens for having the writings on the top, thanks to an adjustable ring held by three pressing screws. The first one does not have this property, but is probably lighter.It depends on your need.
Sincerely

---------- Post added 11-22-16 at 06:44 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
More recent? I have a 1926 Rudolph Meyer C mount Plasmat sitting on my desk that says otherwise.

Note, this lens pre-dates the existence of 8mm film by 6 years, and d mount 8mm cams didn't show up until a few years later.
Hi. This is an interesting fact. My point was to say that all recent industrial vision lenses use C/CS mount and no more D-mount lenses are manufactured, to my knowledge.

11-22-2016, 04:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by skyclad666 Quote
I think they are basically similar C-mount adapters, but with a one inch thread (=25mm) and mostly used for 16mm film camera lenses. The terminology are ambiguous. But the second adapter is better built, as it allows to reorient the angle of the lens for having the writings on the top, thanks to an adjustable ring held by three pressing screws. The first one does not have this property, but is probably lighter.It depends on your need.
damn... bought the wrong one eh? i have no idea what i need. i just want to play.....

QuoteOriginally posted by Professor Batty Quote
Quality C mount lenses were relatively inexpensive about ten years ago, before the small format digital video revolution. You probably won't find any c mount lens that has better image quality than the Q lenses, although you can find faster and longer ones.
I already own an 01, 02 and 06 Q lenses.

The Pentax 110 lenses work very well, the 50mm is very close to the 06 at 45mm (and a third the price) and is infinitely easier to manually focus. You only put the washer in once—takes all of 10 seconds and you are at optimum aperture.

I also own a 110 lens, but i think it has some fungus on it. What kind of washers are we talking about? where would I go to find them? the hardware store?

I would like any of the c mount lenses I can get to have different focal lengths to what I already own rather than duplicate the lengths I already have.

For CCTV lenses, you generally will want to find lenses for 3/4" sensors and above.
Hrmm.. and will listings usually explain this?
11-22-2016, 08:30 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For CCTV lenses, you generally will want to find lenses for 3/4" sensors and above.
Hrmm.. and will listings usually explain this?
Sometimes the listing will say something like "for 1/2 sensor", which tells us there will be a small amount of vignetting on the Q-7 and Q-S1. but would be fine for the Q and Q-10.
11-22-2016, 11:50 AM   #7

Try and get hold of Pentax CCTV lenses. The best are the single focal length. I have a 75mm lens which on the original Q is about 375mm in old 35mm terms and just over 300 when attached to Q7 or QS-1,looking at your earlier post you referred to 25 and 16 mm adaptors- I suspect they were the focal lengths of the lenses.
I also have a Pentax 25mm and a Fujinon 50 mm cctv lenses. They're great fun and if you can get hold of some macro rings even more so

11-22-2016, 01:07 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by spinno Quote
Try and get hold of Pentax CCTV lenses. The best are the single focal length. I have a 75mm lens which on the original Q is about 375mm in old 35mm terms and just over 300 when attached to Q7
How is the Pentax 75 mm CCTV image quality-wise?
11-22-2016, 02:04 PM   #9

These were taken with the 75mm lens

11-22-2016, 02:59 PM   #10

and these were taken with a 50mm lens and extension tubes....

11-24-2016, 04:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
oh dear.... somehow or other i made a bid on a cctv lens with my sniper and forgot about it. and in true 'i don't really need this' land, I won it. Why can't I ever win the items I desperately want instead?!?

All while still uhmming and ahhing over the others...

25mm F/1.4 C mount CCTV lens for Pentax Q P/Q mount interchangeable PQ Q Q10 Q7 | eBay

Comes to $30AUD. I guess this is as good an opportunity to dabble as any. It looks like just a generic lens. has anyone tried using one like this before?
11-25-2016, 11:59 AM   #12

oh dear.... somehow or other i made a bid on a cctv lens with my sniper and forgot about it. and in true 'i don't really need this' land, I won it. Why can't I ever win the items I desperately want instead?!?

All while still uhmming and ahhing over the others...

25mm F/1.4 C mount CCTV lens for Pentax Q P/Q mount interchangeable PQ Q Q10 Q7 | eBay

Comes to $30AUD. I guess this is as good an opportunity to dabble as any. It looks like just a generic lens. has anyone tried using one like this before?
yes- I have used one like that before, it's a while ago and it was ok. Sometimes using too narrow an aperture causes diffraction.
11-26-2016, 03:55 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by spinno Quote
yes- I have used one like that before, it's a while ago and it was ok. Sometimes using too narrow an aperture causes diffraction.
Ok good to know. Waiting impatiently for everything tonarrive now. Qs1 should arrive next week hopefully. The adapter and lens maybe the week or so after.

Now to decide if i should pull the trigger on those other 2 lenses... depends on what i want to treat myself for, for christmas...
12-07-2016, 09:01 PM   #14

I only write what I know from personal experience. I own and have used all the lenses I gave for examples. All four Yashica D mount lenses I have used were awful—really, really bad. The Sun-Tel was spectacular. The Pentax 110 lenses work very well, the 50mm is very close to the 06 at 45mm (and a third the price) and is infinitely easier to manually focus. You only put the washer in once—takes all of 10 seconds and you are at optimum aperture.
Here's a shot with the 70mm 110 lens on a Pentax Q:

Looks O.K. to me.
12-07-2016, 10:24 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Barbarian Quote
Here's a shot with the 70mm 110 lens on a Pentax Q:

Looks O.K. to me.
awesome. do you have a washer in the lens?

I can't seem to find the lensbaby aperture bits for a reasonable price shipped to Australia.

My next stop is the hardware store to see what they may have. They are going to look at me sooooo weird when I walk in there with the little 110 lenses in my hand.