Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-28-2016, 02:26 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Q sensor cleaning

Hi everyone.

While changing lenses i by mistake pressed my middle finger on the sensor. Now i can see a clear fingerprint on it. The fat/oil on the sensor results in no sharp images and star-effects from lights

I have read a lot about removing dust, however how do i remove this fat/oil ?. Is the :
PENTAX Image sensor cleaning kit O-ICK1 the answer ?

KInd regards, Reijnaart.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
11-28-2016, 02:31 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi. No, the O-ICK1 and any other similar "gel-stick" cleaning tools are used to lift dust and debris off the sensor. To remove skin oils, you'll need to wet clean the sensor using dedicated sensor swabs and sensor cleaning fluid.

Whilst I've wet cleaned DSLRs on numerous occasions, I've never done so with the Q. The main issue will be finding swabs that are small enough for the Q's tiny sensor. I'm sure they must exist though... I'm just going offline for the evening, but if no-one else has pointed you in the right direction by tomorrow morning, I'll see what's available and let you know

Last edited by BigMackCam; 11-28-2016 at 02:53 PM.
11-28-2016, 09:21 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You aren't really cleaning a finger print off the Q's sensor. There is a guard over the sensor. Guessing it is sturdier than the sensor.
Thanks,
barondla
11-29-2016, 02:23 AM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
There is a guard over the sensor. Guessing it is sturdier than the sensor.
"Guessing" is the operative word, here. On any camera with an AA filter, it's that rather than the sensor that is exposed. Either way, it's best (IMHO) to treat that surface as if it were the sensor... If damaged, replacing it is - as far as I know - not an owner-serviceable job. That said, using the correct swabs and cleaning fluid, and with a little bit of care, cleaning it is an easy-enough task.

11-29-2016, 03:33 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ok, thank you guys. Do you have any specific brand for me to consider ?.
12-02-2016, 01:11 AM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

@Reijnaart - I don't know if you found anything yet (and my apologies for not replying sooner), but I found these swabs while searching online:

Sensor & Lens Mini Swabs for lens, sensor and mirror.

I haven't used them myself, but I'll be getting some to try out. They're only 3.5mm wide which should be perfect for the Q's sensor (or sensor guard). You need to use them a good dedicated sensor cleaning fluid.

Hope this helps.

Unfortunately, the supplier only seems to deliver in Australia But I suspect there are other brands available. I'll keep looking, as I'd like some of these too

EDIT: Actually, it seems they will deliver to international addresses, but you have to request a shipping quote from them...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-02-2016 at 01:20 AM.
12-03-2016, 11:50 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you BigMackcam.

The local photography store was able to supply me with a cleaner (visable dust), however they had to order smaller swabs ( i like to support local retailers, instead of 'the internet'). Hopefully i will be able to clean the sensor next weekend.

I will post the result.

01-09-2017, 11:14 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I know that this is sort of an old threat but here are my 2 cents (CND)

I have had to clean finger prints of a Q sensor, I just cut an APS C swap to size, added a drop of cleaning fluid and all was well.
01-09-2017, 11:33 AM - 1 Like   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
I have had to clean finger prints of a Q sensor, I just cut an APS C swap to size, added a drop of cleaning fluid and all was well.
That's a great idea, Heinrich.

Just as a follow up, the mini swabs I ordered arrived, and they're excellent...
01-09-2017, 06:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
"Guessing" is the operative word, here. On any camera with an AA filter, it's that rather than the sensor that is exposed. Either way, it's best (IMHO) to treat that surface as if it were the sensor... If damaged, replacing it is - as far as I know - not an owner-serviceable job. That said, using the correct swabs and cleaning fluid, and with a little bit of care, cleaning it is an easy-enough task.
They are correct. Every sensor has a cover glass, AA filter or not. The glass at the very least typically filters IR and UV. The glass may be treated with other coatings as well like anti-reflective coatings. Beyond the glass you have the microlenses and CFA, so yet another layer over the actual sensor.

If you can clean a lens without scratching it you can clean a sensor.
02-08-2017, 03:32 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hate to say this,and everyone do it at your own risk. But I dont wet clean often, but when I do I SIMPLY dampen a q-tip and clean the sensor followed by a dry one immediately after to remove evaporation marks. Alternately you can fog up the sensor with your breath and then use the q-tips to clean it. 100 percent of the time make sure you use the blower first to remove any boulders from the sensor lest you will scratch it. Any one who is concerned about the possible strand or two that could possible be left behind ,simply blow it off again I have never had a problem with this method , but that is just me. DO AT YOUR OWN RISK.
02-08-2017, 05:52 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I did this once -- jabbed it lightly with my fingertip while swapping lenses -- and I managed to clean it using a small "lens pen" without causing any damage that I can see. I have been more careful when changing lenses since then.

For normal dust, a rocket bulb and perhaps a few light swipes with a sensor brush.