Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-30-2016, 12:16 PM   #1

Anyone ever have a broken Q series camera or lens?

bye-bye

Last edited by Professor Batty; 01-10-2017 at 05:44 PM. Reason: not needed
11-30-2016, 01:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Professor Batty Quote
Looking through the other forum categories, there seems to be endemic problems with some Pentax bodies and lenses: aperture control, lens compatibility problems, lock-ups, Mode dial issues, SDM failures etc…

I never notice any of these problems with the Q series. Are they that trouble free, or are there issues I don't know about?

Just wondering.
They are dying alright. I do not have a good written proof of it, but have stumbled on stories of Q cameras loosing date and settings, not working at all after months of shelf life, not turning on for unknown reasons. The thing is, nobody is repairing those after the warranty is up. For lenses I really would not know, but I guess they need to age a bit before the problems would appear at a larger scale. It is a young system after all.
11-30-2016, 02:46 PM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I've also heard stories of Q's dying... but: (1) the number Q's compared to DSLRs is tiny, and (2) there's less to go wrong; very little mechanically, that's for sure...
11-30-2016, 05:35 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Losing date and settings sounds like the watch battery inside the camera's main board lost its charge. That should be a relatively easy fix, and happens with many different kinds of neglected electronics.

12-04-2016, 11:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I lost two original qs. One refuses to switch on, the other refuses to recognise a sd card.

In both cases they were sitting on the shelf for a while. It may (or may not) have impacted on the result.

I ended up upgrading to a qs1, as i was told it would cost about the same to have both investigated, before even sorting out the problem.

So far, one week in, i am happy with my decision.

I have also had a dud 06 lens - which i didn't realise until i used the qs1 - where it seems the 06 will only do manual focus and not af. Don't know if that's user error or not though
12-05-2016, 10:43 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Professor Batty Quote
Looking through the other forum categories, there seems to be endemic problems with some Pentax bodies and lenses: aperture control, lens compatibility problems, lock-ups, Mode dial issues, SDM failures etc…

I never notice any of these problems with the Q series. Are they that trouble free, or are there issues I don't know about?

Just wondering.
I took 50 pictures with my Q-7 at a Madrigal Dinner last night. I had to do a hot reboot {battery out then back in} twice, the first time I've ever had to do that. In both cases the symptoms were the same - suddenly the camera wouldn't focus, and didn't respond to the on/off button either.
12-06-2016, 02:46 AM   #7

I had 2 Q lenses that died without any reason. a 06 and a 08. The autofocus was dead for both lenses. Replaced by new lenses under warranty by Pentax

12-21-2016, 03:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I had an 06 that was replaced by Pentax
08-19-2020, 04:01 AM   #9

My 06 lens conked out on me last night, while using it on my Q at the aquarium. Tested it on my Q-S1 today, too and yes, it's definitely the lens - both cameras give a woot-woot siren sound, when switched on, won't focus, and won't take pics with that lens on. I've ordered a used 06 from Amazon Japan, and in the meantime am making do with a Pentax Auto 110 50mm with adapter, which has a similar focal length to the 06 at maximum zoom. Luckily, I got some nice pics before it gave up on me, but all afternoon it had been behaving temperamentally, refusing to focus, or let the camera take a pic.
08-19-2020, 04:41 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnnyinJapan Quote
all afternoon it had been behaving temperamentally, refusing to focus, or let the camera take a pic.
Will it take pics/still allow you to fire the shutter if set to manual focus (even if blurry)?
08-19-2020, 02:12 PM   #11
Unregistered User

I've had a 06 go bad, when it's broke it's broke, focus is by wire and that is what goes bad.

I've got an 01 that an element must have shifted and is out of focus on one side.

Other than that, my 5 Q bodies and 8 lenses are still going strong. One of my Q-S1 bodies did a dive from a moving bicycle onto a paved trail and after I glued the bits of the SD card door back together it still works perfectly.
08-19-2020, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Old cameras may die, but here's living proof that old threads can return!

I've lost a Q7, just stopped responding,
and after several years of intense service, an 06 lens stopped focusing.
Like @Cipher says, that's focus by wire for you.

I'm tempted to take the lens off a camera while the shutter's still open,
and try using it reversed for macro.
08-21-2020, 01:53 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Old cameras may die, but here's living proof that old threads can return!

I've lost a Q7, just stopped responding,
and after several years of intense service, an 06 lens stopped focusing.
Like @Cipher says, that's focus by wire for you.

I'm tempted to take the lens off a camera while the shutter's still open,
and try using it reversed for macro.
The Q-7 I purchased about five years ago keeps taking pictures with its lenses.
In fact I've just ordered a Metabones "speedbooster" adapter for it.
08-21-2020, 06:07 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
In fact I've just ordered a Metabones "speedbooster" adapter
I'm waiting for a response in the Ask B&H Photo! section:

Metabones K-mount to Q-mount speedbooster - PentaxForums.com
08-22-2020, 10:58 PM   #15

2old4toys

"Will it take pics/still allow you to fire the shutter if set to manual focus (even if blurry)?

No. Tried it on my Q and Q-S1. Both times, with 06 attached, I got "woot-woot" siren noise, but tried to press shutter anyway, in both AF and MF modes, and the shutter didn't respond. I have just received the 2nd hand replacement 06 ($80) I ordered on Amazon Japan. It works fine, and a UV lens filter was attached which is a nice, unexpected bonus. But if this one breaks, I won't replace it. The Pentax Auto 110 50mm lens ($40 for the lens, $20 for the adapter) I was using as a stopgap, for my telephoto shots is of at least equal image quality, so I'd just use that, and maybe buy the Auto 110 18mm and 24mm lenses for interim focal lengths.