Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2016, 02:51 PM   #1

Q7 + 06: Thin enough to make it through concert security?

I'll be seeing one of my favorite bands in a few months. The venue has a 'no removable lenses' policy, but the silver Q7 is quite unassuming and I'm sure I could get it past security. It'll be a poorly lit, standing room only metal concert and I'm thinking the 06 is my best bet at decent shots. I'll be purchasing the lens specifically for the show. How does the size of the 06 compare to the 02? Do you think I could pass it off as a point and shoot?

12-17-2016, 03:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aragarthiel Quote
I'll be seeing one of my favorite bands in a few months. The venue has a 'no removable lenses' policy, but the silver Q7 is quite unassuming and I'm sure I could get it past security. It'll be a poorly lit, standing room only metal concert and I'm thinking the 06 is my best bet at decent shots. I'll be purchasing the lens specifically for the show. How does the size of the 06 compare to the 02? Do you think I could pass it off as a point and shoot?
Try asking ahead of time. I did this and was able to bring my K-1 + D-FA* 70-200 with written permission from the venue, with the understanding that I not shoot flash. If they say no, you can still try to pass it off as a point-and-shoot if you want to, and if they say yes, you don't have to worry.
12-17-2016, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I Doubt security will worry about something so small....UNLESS its a Pentaxian security man, and he'll probably say"great choice for this venue!"
12-17-2016, 03:52 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Security is usually not well-versed with cameras. They don't allow big cameras and long lenses. Often they have an actual rule on how long a lens can be, which is a fairly outdated rule, but its easy to explain to the security guys. If you have a Q, especially one of the funky colours, it will probably not be an issue (to many people black means pro). I have taken my yellow K-01 to places where cameras were not allowed without issue, and it is much bigger than a P&S.

I don't have experience with the Q lenses, but the 06 seems to have better aperture and longer reach. Both of those are good for concerts.

12-17-2016, 06:45 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've taken the Q7 into many concert venues and gotten away with it but of course ymmv. It's such a great camera for that kind of photography since one handed operation along with SR makes it super easy. Just make sure you bring an extra battery or two. I often shoot raw + w/ the camera set to bold monochrome. The jpg will hold the monochrome settings while the RAW in lightroom will revert back to color.

Good luck on getting it in!
12-21-2016, 03:18 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I would try it but leave the lens shade home, The 02 and 06 are almost the same size
12-25-2016, 10:02 PM   #7
Forum Member

Great idea to use the jpeg as monochrome!

QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
I've taken the Q7 into many concert venues and gotten away with it but of course ymmv. It's such a great camera for that kind of photography since one handed operation along with SR makes it super easy. Just make sure you bring an extra battery or two. I often shoot raw + w/ the camera set to bold monochrome. The jpg will hold the monochrome settings while the RAW in lightroom will revert back to color.

Good luck on getting it in!