Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
01-02-2017, 02:33 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zippythezip Quote
I have the fotodiox adapter for my Q family. Is the Pentax Q adapter any better?
But yea love my Q stuff and wish Pentax would continue up the mirrorless road, I also have an Olympus E-m10 and love the size.
Only the Pentax adapter has a leaf-shutter. Without it, motion can cause issues {look up "rolling shutter"}

01-02-2017, 04:10 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Pentax adaptor is superb. The built-in leaf shutter is a real bonus as mentioned above, and it also means you can get flash sync at 1/1000 sec, which is pretty cool.
01-02-2017, 05:18 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I took it with me this morning when I walked the dog. I'm not sure when I bought my Q but it's been a few years now. I just checked the shutter count on this morning's images and I'm up to 1,603.
01-08-2017, 11:55 AM   #19
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
Hmmm, photographers are not all alike and the same is the case with camera systems. So, if you cant't get to love it, why force yourself to use it?

For me, the story is different: I bought a used Q10 just to play with small pixels on my telescope. It came with the 02 standard zoom (much better than it's general reputation in my view) and just a few test shots and I was hopelessly hooked. Now I have the Q10, Q-S1, 02 standard zoom, 06 telephoto zoom, the Pentax Q Adapter for K-mount lens, a C-mount and C to 1.25" draw tube adapter, the Q Adapter tripod mount. Next on my purchase list is the 08 wide zoom and then........

Falling in love can be quite a costly affair.
Oh my, don't we know it.

01-09-2017, 05:49 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got a clear viewer for my Q's, works pretty good. I also have a '"hoodman" but this is more portable. The LCD is low rez and you notice this more up close, I find it easier to focus manual the fish eye for example with this and focus peaking.
01-09-2017, 11:07 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

zippythezip the Clearview looks nice and compact. How are the optics vs your "hood"? Also noticed you have 3 Q bodies, any favorite?
Thanks
barondla
01-10-2017, 07:08 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
zippythezip the Clearview looks nice and compact. How are the optics vs your "hood"? Also noticed you have 3 Q bodies, any favorite?
Thanks
barondla
The hood is definitely better for viewing your shots due to excluding all light. But its not a small item to carry around and usually it means the case it travels in to keep it clean. Then you either strap it on the Q with rubber bands or as I do use eye pressure to keep it in place.
The clear viewer you just put your hand over the gap as a shield and away you go. I think its just great and keeps the Q fun as it should be. Both are a little expensive for what they are but I don't feel they were a waste. The weak part here is the LCD poor rez, I have an Olympus E-M10 and the EVF is way way better to look at. I wish Pentax would have made a mirror less with a EVF.
As for my Q family, the Q7 and Qs1 have a slightly bigger sensor than the Q10 giving better photos. The Q10 is still a nice camera but I prefer the Q7. The Qs1 I think only differs from the Q7 by auto focus in movie mode. I have not used the Qs1 as much as I prefer the feel of the Q7 ergonomically, the Q7 has a small hand grip and the Qs1 just a fake button thing for your finger to press on.
Here is a shot of my Q7 bag, missing is the fish eye lens. I should add here that I can now take 3 cameras with me if I so wish now in the same room took up by my K5 and 55-300 lens.

The hood man bag,

Last edited by zippythezip; 01-10-2017 at 07:14 PM.
01-11-2017, 06:45 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the info zippythezip. Considering a Q7 or Q S1to augment the collection.
Thanks
barondla
01-11-2017, 08:52 PM   #24

The Q-S1 is actually what I picked to dip into Pentax, and the mirrorless shooting experience in one shot(my DSLR is a Nikon D3300 for now).

Fun is definitely the word, I find that while I usually get better results with my Nikon as a beginning photographer, I just have more fun shooting with the Q. I hit a lot more limitations with the sensor and I find myself taking shots I wouldn't take, and experimenting more with settings to get output of a quality I enjoy: it's extremely satisfying when I get a shot with the Q and show it to someone, and they say 'That Nikon is looking good!'

I only have the 01 Prime and the 02 Zoom. The Q prime is one of my favorite lenses I own, including the Nikkors. I just recently got the zoom so still learning it, but I prefer it to the Nikon kit zooms(all my main glass for Nikon are primes).

These are a couple of my favorite Q shots so far, both with the standard prime.