Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2016, 09:16 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had forgotten how much FUN the Q is...

I made the post late last evening (or morning - well it was dark out) about the Q's possible demise. It was sitting here on the table in its little bag, so I pulled it out and started playing with it for a bit. I had forgotten just how FUN that little camera actually is.

I had picked up the Q and the 01 when they were selling it for next to nothing. Also picked up the 05 on a split deal with another guy. So, it is really fun for a lot of reasons. I really need to do more with it....New Year's resolution!!!!

12-31-2016, 11:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I should use mine more often. I just can't get to love it so it rarely gets used.
01-01-2017, 12:04 AM - 1 Like   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I made the post late last evening (or morning - well it was dark out) about the Q's possible demise. It was sitting here on the table in its little bag, so I pulled it out and started playing with it for a bit. I had forgotten just how FUN that little camera actually is.

I had picked up the Q and the 01 when they were selling it for next to nothing.
I agree wholeheartedly. It's a huge amount of fun - and still a serious photographic tool with most of the features of a fully-fledged DSLR with respect to creative control, including a limited but very capable selection of native lenses. A few of my photos that I'm most pleased with were taken with the Q and Q7.

Whatever Ricoh does with the Q line, I do hope it doesn't abandon the concept altogether. A compact, high quality mirrorless camera can be a flexible and liberating thing, especially when lugging around a DSLR and lenses simply isn't an option...
01-01-2017, 01:13 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I hear you. In an attempt to give my Q-s1 more love, I've decided to make this the Year of the Q, and will be shooting Singles In for the year, with a different lens each month. I don't have all of them, but I'll give each of the ones I do have some love, before I move onto some auto 110 and c mount lenses.

I'm looking forward to only taking the little camera out and about with me rather than the k-s2 or k-50. I'll be picking up my bag and will be wondering if I'd brought my camera at all!

01-01-2017, 11:08 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
I should use mine more often. I just can't get to love it so it rarely gets used.
Hmmm, photographers are not all alike and the same is the case with camera systems. So, if you cant't get to love it, why force yourself to use it?

For me, the story is different: I bought a used Q10 just to play with small pixels on my telescope. It came with the 02 standard zoom (much better than it's general reputation in my view) and just a few test shots and I was hopelessly hooked. Now I have the Q10, Q-S1, 02 standard zoom, 06 telephoto zoom, the Pentax Q Adapter for K-mount lens, a C-mount and C to 1.25" draw tube adapter, the Q Adapter tripod mount. Next on my purchase list is the 08 wide zoom and then........

Falling in love can be quite a costly affair.
01-01-2017, 11:14 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Mine gets used almost as much as my K-30, since many times the K-30 is at home in its bag while the Q-7 is in my pocket.
01-01-2017, 12:18 PM   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
the 02 standard zoom (much better than it's general reputation in my view)
I really like the 02. Maybe some had higher expectations of it, but I get a lot of enjoyment out of mine. In fact, that's what's on my Q7 right now

01-01-2017, 02:32 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Mine gets used almost as much as my K-30, since many times the K-30 is at home in its bag while the Q-7 is in my pocket.
There's my problem! I wear T-shirts and shorts. The shorts only have a hip pocket and a fob pocket, the latter is just big enough for a few coins.
01-01-2017, 05:19 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Cargo shorts might help?....Do they have them out West?
01-01-2017, 07:32 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
There's my problem! I wear T-shirts and shorts. The shorts only have a hip pocket and a fob pocket, the latter is just big enough for a few coins.
Well, it's a bit too cold here for shorts and T-shirts. It's 53F and was raining all last night and this morning. Gotta wait till it warms up some.

01-01-2017, 07:36 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Well, it's a bit too cold here for shorts and T-shirts. It's 53F and was raining all last night and this morning. Gotta wait till it warms up some.

Q + 01 + 02 fits in the pockets of a fleece jacket
01-01-2017, 07:58 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Q + 01 + 02 fits in the pockets of a fleece jacket
The 08 is even smaller (well, flatter if not narrower) than the 02. And better.

Massively fun. I sometimes wonder why I both lugging the K-1 around
01-01-2017, 09:09 PM   #13

NOT the smallest MILC, but...

,,,still fun to use. It looks like a baby DSLR, comes in cool colors, and can use EVERY adapted C mount lens without vignetting or sensor bumping. It fills a need, and should not be discontinued. The Auto 110 lenses with adapter fit nicely.
01-02-2017, 11:18 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the fotodiox adapter for my Q family. Is the Pentax Q adapter any better?
But yea love my Q stuff and wish Pentax would continue up the mirrorless road, I also have an Olympus E-m10 and love the size.
01-02-2017, 11:47 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zippythezip Quote
I have the fotodiox adapter for my Q family. Is the Pentax Q adapter any better?
But yea love my Q stuff and wish Pentax would continue up the mirrorless road, I also have an Olympus E-m10 and love the size.
I seem to remember that there is more than one type of fotodiox adapters? Anyway, the original Pentax Q Adapter for K-mount lens has the same leaf shutter as the advanced Q lenses and you can 1) expose for the full range of shutter speeds from 1/8000s to 30s (32 s in Bulb mode) plus 2) you can set the aperture and do your metering at full opening of your adapted lens if it is an A- or later lens.