Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2017, 06:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Q Discontinued?

It seems the north american website no longer lists the Q-S1 as a product. It is no longer available at B&H except by special order for a couple of limited colors. The japanese website still lists it and has it for sale, but they also list the GXR as a current product as well. My hunch is at the very least they have aborted the Q in the North American market and intend to continue with marketing it to the east. Or they have just cancelled the line entirely and are selling off old stock. I think that it probably ran its course to be honest. The small sensor compact market is pretty much zero these days and an RX100 can do much more than the Q in technically smaller package. I was hoping they might continue this system for a bit longer, but I would hardly be surprised to see them give up on it. It really doesn't look like the macro lens will ever see the light of day and that is too bad. That would be a neat lens to have on a Q, especially if it went 1:1. Oh well. Time to start looking for cheap Q7 or Q-S1 kits now.

---------- Post added 01-09-17 at 08:48 PM ----------

Well heck now that you moved it I see a competing thread here. I saw an earlier thread in the rumors section and thought that appropriate. Sorry for what amounts to a duplicate thread now. :/

01-09-2017, 08:07 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My personal opinion is that the current Q-series offerings simply aren't competitive in the US market, so they've quietly been phased out. But officially, it seems Ricoh hasn't dropped the Q line. Let's hope they come up with something innovative to bring it back outside of Japan.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-09-2017, 08:33 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Professor Batty Quote
What is the competition for the Q? Nearest thing I can find in a small-sensor interchangeable lens camera is the Nikon 1 series, which doesn't have IBIS, has no ultrawides nor a fast, constant aperture telephoto zoom lens. .
And may have been discontinued...
01-09-2017, 08:39 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

it is still available in Australia with all lenses

01-09-2017, 09:07 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

What is the competition for the Q? Nearest thing I can find in a small-sensor interchangeable lens camera is the Nikon 1 series, which doesn't have IBIS, has no ultrawides nor a fast, constant aperture telephoto zoom lens.

There is no better platform than the Q for using C mount lenses.

The Q is disappearing for a variety of reasons, but competition isn't one of them.
The problem is that the interchangeable lens aspect itself isn't that appealing. For example, it might be hard to list the benefits it offers over an all-in-one premium compact like the Sony RX 100 (since it was mentioned earlier in this thread) for the average user, who might prioritize ease of use, compactness, and connectivity. I think there just aren't enough people that appreciate/need the strengths of the Q, and perhaps some of those that do crave a camera with higher performance (i.e. an EVF or higher resolution monitor for more effective use of adapted lenses).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-09-2017, 10:59 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would be happy with a new Q>PKA adapter with leaf shutter and autofocus! Add a battery to the adapter for power to run it.
Thanks
barondla
01-10-2017, 03:48 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Q has been superseded by 1" compacts. It is a nice little toy, but it needs a bigger sensor. But that's what Nikon tried and failed at despite their considerable marketing efforts. Hence the new 1" compacts they announced and have so far failed to deliver. Maybe if Pentax or Ricoh produce a viable 1" ilc that is as pocketable as the q (so no long telezooms or very wide aperture lenses). It could appeal to a class of photographers who would use it as their main camera, instead of a plaything next to their dslr.

01-10-2017, 04:44 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Q should take a lead from the Olympus XA - the 'Busman's Holiday' capable pocket ILC for professional photographers' personal use.

It needs an EVF..
01-10-2017, 06:20 AM   #9
Pentaxian

What is the competition for the Q? Nearest thing I can find in a small-sensor interchangeable lens camera
Panasonic GM1, out of production but still available...ditto GM5, this model includes a viewfinder

Announced a few days ago...Panasonic GX800/850 Europe.nth America GF9 in Japan...

16mp... 4K video and photo with most of the latest associated features...U$550 which includes a kit lens 12-32mm(its quite good for variable aperture)

An extensive range of lenses...around 50 AF with support from a few 3rd parties....speedbooster/focal reducers for most legacy lenses.
01-10-2017, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
the lenses are about twice the size of the Q's due to the m4/3 sensor
The GM1 and kit lens is smaller than q7/10 with kit lens...

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
The clsoest to the Q in size that I've yet handled is the Samsung NX mini

Its thinner but substantially larger( HEIGHT AND WIDTH) than any of the Q Q10 Q7

the Panny is an excellent camera, but it is not in the same category as the Q.
Hmmm, perhaps you might to look at the DXO report that compares them....Panny is rated higher

The Panasonic has a MFT sensor. It lacks IBIS. Equivalent MFT lenses are several times the weight (and cost!) of Q lenses
Stabilisation is in the lenses.....M43 has 10x the AF lenses that the Q system has and yes the fast glass does cost and weigh more.However that glass is an option.If you look at the standard kit which MOST users buy, then the GM1 wins out.My observations are from owning both systems.I just happen to own the NX mini that was mentioned as well.
All 3 systems have their up and downsides....M43 IS in production,pocketable and produces excellent stills and video.

Last edited by surfar; 01-10-2017 at 01:29 PM.
01-10-2017, 01:25 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
The GM1 and kit lens is smaller than q7/10 with kit lens..
Because Panasonic made a collapsible lens.
01-10-2017, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Yes....and the 2 light small collapsables 12/32 & 35/100 make a great kit for good light.
01-10-2017, 01:37 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'll agree with the first part of that sentence. The second part is baloney.
Not really. without a lens the Q is roughly the same size as the RX100. With a lens it is larger depth wise at least.
01-10-2017, 02:57 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Perhaps you should look at the DXO report on the Pentax K1
I just prefer looking through the viewfinder of the K1.

---------- Post added 01-11-17 at 09:00 AM ----------

and very slow on the long end.)
How slow?
01-10-2017, 03:57 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Don't even ask about ultra wides or fisheyes on the Sony.
I didn't!
Want to talk telescopes?
I can see stars with my eyes, so no!

For the RX100 V f2.8 (70mm FF equiv.) ($1000!)

Yes, thought so...thanks for confirming....about the same speed as 2 and 6 at the same FL....pretty slow!...I suppose for the speed,resolution,video capability ect...theres a price to pay....but its about 70% of that downunder, which makes it reasonable value IF it appeals.