Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2017, 08:06 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Q is history m43 can make camera's just as small.
Cameras? Yes!

Lenses? No!

(Panny 35-100: 10 cm. versus Q 06: 6 cm.)

01-26-2017, 09:22 PM - 4 Likes   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If they are really killing off the Q, they should at least make a statement to that effect. There's nothing worse than alienating loyal fans who remain hopeful for a replacement.
Perhaps it is time for a new QP model as a companion to the KP...it might even have a mascot...

Name:  il_fullxfull.266135276.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  38.6 KB

...for those too young to appreciate, the above is a kewpie (pronounced q-pee) doll...sorry, could not resist.

Steve
01-26-2017, 09:27 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Cameras? Yes!

Lenses? No!

(Panny 35-100: 10 cm. versus Q 06: 6 cm.)
There's a collapsing Panny 35-100 now and it's about the same siz as the 06. But there is no equal to the 08
01-27-2017, 03:44 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Imagine how small equivalent aperture lenses would be on m43 9-13mm F8 They wouldn't make them of course.

01-27-2017, 10:53 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
There's a collapsing Panny 35-100 now and it's about the same siz as the 06.
But it's f/4-5.6, not a high-quality f/2.8 constant aperture zoom like the 10cm Panny or the Q 06.
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
But there is no equal to the 08
Amen, brother!

---------- Post added 01-27-17 at 11:57 AM ----------

Imagine how small equivalent aperture lenses would be on m43 9-13mm F8
We're talking about 35-100 mm focal lengths on MFT.
01-27-2017, 11:27 AM   #21
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GateCityRadio Quote
I'm almost willing to bet they will plan on throwing development into a APSC or FF mirrorless before they put more money in the Q.
This last statement may be true only because Pentax may have given up on the "Q" and not bothered to tell us.

Pentax's identity is wrapped up in the Penta-prism, and they've indicated no interest in going MILC for larger sensors.

---------- Post added 01-27-17 at 01:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Q is far more fun to shoot. Still love the Q crop for telephoto shooting.
I got my Q-7 because I don't have the budget for really good really long lenses, and I decided a Q + adapted lens was a better approach for me than buying a one-mission {wildlife only} super-zoom bridge camera would be.

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Everyone likes something different.
That is the detail we forget sometimes.

Now, answering the original question. People asked a similar question after the K-1 was released. The painful inconvenient truth is that there will always be another K-mount project after the current one completes. Right now people are demanding {and Pentax is probably working on} a true K-3ii replacement. Sometime they'll have to re-examine their Medium Format position and the K-1. I had hoped they might expand the Q family as a part of preparing to go MILC in these other sensor sizes, but two years after buying my Q-7 {and enjoying it ... I still use it almost as much as I use my K-30} I don't honestly have much of that hope any more.

Last edited by reh321; 01-27-2017 at 11:39 AM. Reason: answer original question
01-27-2017, 11:50 AM   #22
Pentaxian

But it's f/4-5.6, not a high-quality f/2.8 constant aperture zoom like the 10cm Panny or the Q 06.

Amen, brother!

---------- Post added 01-27-17 at 11:57 AM ----------

We're talking about 35-100 mm focal lengths on MFT.
I was referring to the 08
01-28-2017, 02:08 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I was referring to the 08
OK, the Panny 7-14 is more than twice the length of the 08, and weighs four times as much.
The collapsible Olympus 9-18 does better, just a little over twice the weight.

01-28-2017, 02:19 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

IMO, given the engineering work is roughly the same regardless of sensor size and body cost, I believe Q is discontinued and the big surprise will be a larger format mirrorless and a new mount, with a fast OLED EVF and large format lens adapter. In that way they can charge ($x,000) for each body rather than $300. Remember, the work is the same regardless of format and price.

New mount lens design IMO will be Pentax, but production IMO will be 100% outsourced like Q.

* added clarification that this is my opinion, based on observation. There is no implied claim to actual knowledge of internal Ricoh plans,

Last edited by monochrome; 01-30-2017 at 07:22 AM.
01-28-2017, 06:06 PM   #25
Pentaxian

OK, the Panny 7-14 is more than twice the length of the 08, and weighs four times as much.
The collapsible Olympus 9-18 does better, just a little over twice the weight.
That's why I said this in the first place : Imagine how small equivalent aperture lenses would be on m43 9-13mm F8 They wouldn't make them of course.

They are not F8. Would they be then they could be smaller. Anyway nobody is buying the 08 because is is $500
01-28-2017, 06:23 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax could probably make the Q lenses smaller than they are now. Look at the size of their Auto 110 lenses.
Thanks
barondla
01-28-2017, 10:18 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
IMHO, given the engineering work is roughly the same regardless of sensor size and body cost, I believe Q is discontinued and the big surprise will be a large format mirrorless and a new mount, with a fast OLED EVF and large format lens adapter. In that way they can charge ($x,000) for each body rather than $300. Remember, the work is the same regardless of format and price.

New mount lens design will be Pentax, but production will be 100% outsourced like Q.
What do you mean by large format? My mind goes to 4x5 and 8x10, but it's not clear whether that's what you had in mind.
01-29-2017, 06:52 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
IMHO, given the engineering work is roughly the same regardless of sensor size and body cost, I believe Q is discontinued and the big surprise will be a large format mirrorless and a new mount, with a fast OLED EVF and large format lens adapter. In that way they can charge ($x,000) for each body rather than $300. Remember, the work is the same regardless of format and price.

New mount lens design will be Pentax, but production will be 100% outsourced like Q.
Monochrome,
This all sounds very convincing and exciting but do you have information or is is just careful thought? In any case, it will be interesting to see what happens. I agree, without a mass market more Q makes little sense in the shrinking camera market.
01-29-2017, 08:02 AM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With it being so quiet at this point the prospects do certainly look grim for the Q's survival. I do a agree with Adam that Pentax risks alienating loyal fans by letting it slip away with no comment. I've only been serious about photography for a couple years now and the Q was my first camera I bought when that interest began to grow. I really love playing around with my Q and attaching K mount lenses to it also. I now own a Pentax full frame and aps-c that quite frankly would be another brand most likely if I had not first bought the Q after seeing some Blunty Youtube reviews. I have all the Q lenses except the toy versions and think the 08 lens with the Q is a perfect long distance hiking companion. Would hate to see my investment into the Q system less than two years ago (and a pricey but awesome 08 lens) fall by the wayside at some point. I'll certainly get the use out of my Q-S1 while it lasts but I think of all the things Pentax could do with a small mirrorless like the Q that just make me shake my head to see them let it slip away. In any case they do owe us some commentary one way or another, it's the right thing to do.
01-29-2017, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

Anyway nobody is buying the 08 because is is $500
QuoteOriginally posted by Amarony Quote
I have all the Q lenses except the toy versions and think the 08 lens with the Q is a perfect long distance hiking companion.
This space intentionally left blank.