Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2017, 09:57 AM - 1 Like   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
I can actually see this becoming reality. We know Pentax signed a deal with Sony for the 100 MP MF sensor. This sensor is 'true' MF, not crop MF like the 645Z and the new Fuji. Pentax will need a new mount and lenses for that sensor anyway, and with the market moving towards mirrorless cameras, and Fuji introducing this trend in the MF segment ... why not?
Why create a new mount and discard all the lenses when the current Pentax 645 mount and most of lenses are compatible with the full-size 100 MPix MF sensor?

It's Fuji & Hassy that have committed to crop-MF with mounts that are too small for a larger sensor.

Now a digital 6x7 would be a bigger challenge. Pentax would need to resurrect the old 6x7 lens line-up (with non-trival design changes for autofocus, optical sharpness on a digital sensor, and modern coatings). Plus, does Sony or any other high-volume sensor maker even have a 6x7 sensor?

02-02-2017, 11:45 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
But why? The image quality of APS-C, FF etc. is already on such a high level, and getting better with every generation, that something as massive as 67 seems unnecessary?

I can see them adding an MF model rather than completely replacing the 645Z line with a larger sensor model. That would mean they'd discard the entire 645 lens line-up.
the "MF look" is always different. 67 and 645 looks very different, imo.

it will be like APSC and FF, crop-645 and FF-645 will be sharing the same 645 mount, not really a entirely new line. there are few DFA new lenses that are already usable.
02-02-2017, 02:02 PM   #48
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Why create a new mount and discard all the lenses when the current Pentax 645 mount and most of lenses are compatible with the full-size 100 MPix MF sensor?

It's Fuji & Hassy that have committed to crop-MF with mounts that are too small for a larger sensor.

Now a digital 6x7 would be a bigger challenge. Pentax would need to resurrect the old 6x7 lens line-up (with non-trival design changes for autofocus, optical sharpness on a digital sensor, and modern coatings). Plus, does Sony or any other high-volume sensor maker even have a 6x7 sensor?
Sony can glue two 645z sensors together and you have a nice 44x66mm sensor for the 6x7d.
02-02-2017, 02:40 PM - 3 Likes   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not sure why everyone is so revved up about Ricoh declaring the Q dead or alive.

It makes more sense for Ricoh to keep their options open. Sensor tech improves every year. We may soon be able to have 1 inch sensor performance in a 1/1.7 package.
Add pixel-shift, EVF and some new tech and things may get interesting again.

02-02-2017, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #50
Pentaxian

The Q-S1 has finally fallen to a price I was willing to pay for it. While others consider jumping out, I'm jumping in. But then, I tend to buy things for what they are, not for what they might become in the future. After all 12 MP is 4000x3000. Still not obsolete by 4k monitor standards.

First day out with the Q-S1. We have a longer lens coming, this is the 02. You really can't crop much with a 12 MP sensor. But still, really nice to carry. I worked out for an hour today, 8 km and 700 calories and 80000 paces on the elliptical trainerl in an hour. Some days you just don't feel like carrying a DSLR. The Q will do.

Uncropped, the IQ is just fine.

Last edited by normhead; 02-03-2017 at 01:17 PM.
02-02-2017, 07:59 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Sony can glue two 645z sensors together and you have a nice 44x66mm sensor for the 6x7d.
It's possible to create a sensor that big, and bigger ones have been produced for use in very specialized equipment, but the economics are brutal.
02-02-2017, 08:11 PM   #52
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I can actually see this becoming reality. We know Pentax signed a deal with Sony for the 100 MP MF sensor. This sensor is 'true' MF, not crop MF like the 645Z and the new Fuji. Pentax will need a new mount and lenses for that sensor anyway
Why?

Won't the D FA, FA and legacy lenses be just fine?

02-02-2017, 10:16 PM - 1 Like   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The Q-S1 has finally fallen to a price I was willing to pay for it. While others consider jumping out, I'm jumping in. But then, I tend to buy things for what they are, not for what they might become in the future. After all 12 MP is 4000x3000. Still not obsolete by 4k monitor standards.

First day out with the Q-S1. We have a longer lens coming, this is the 02. You really can't crop much with a 12 MP sensor. But still, really nice to carry. I worked out for an hour today, 8 km and 700 calories and 80000 paces on the elliptical trainerl in an hour. Some days you just don't feel like carrying a DSLR. The Q will do.

Uncropped, the IQ is just fine.
Hi Norm, nice images of the dogs. You'll love the Q and will love the 06 lens. What is an 80-205 f:2.8 worth in full frame?

Take care,
02-02-2017, 11:16 PM - 2 Likes   #54
Pentaxian

I don't see why it needs to be a new camera model if there is nothing new to bring to the table.
The Q series was never meant for pixel peeping or night documentary.
Its a camera that is small, fun and intended for actual use when the user prefers bringing it over another option.
Take photos, and view them (normally), thats what it is.
Not take a shot, and scrutinize at 100% for details and noise and be unhappy.

As such, a Q system now is as relevant as it came out 4-5yrs ago.

Its the approach of the user that needs to go beyond the endless pursuit of more and more tech as an end, and just find the peace to use the camera to take photos.
02-03-2017, 12:55 AM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I don't see why it needs to be a new camera model if there is nothing new to bring to the table.
Its a camera that is small, fun and intended for actual use when the user prefers bringing it over another option.

Its the approach of the user that needs to go beyond the endless pursuit of more and more tech as an end, and just find the peace to use the camera to take photos.
Also Q shifts all set of my manual lenses to telephoto range. Helios 44-2 55/2 gives pictures like a 300/2 lens. Weight of course does not increase)
02-03-2017, 02:50 AM   #56
Banned

Except that smartphones took that spot in daily life, taking the snaps to remember.
02-03-2017, 05:55 AM - 1 Like   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Except that smartphones took that spot in daily life, taking the snaps to remember.
Then just use the HP.

Range of lenses and a camera form of usage, I think the Q is still better.

What I find the constant problem is this 'want for unhappiness' (perhaps its a Pentaxian thing like wearing the One Ring).
02-03-2017, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Norm, welcome to the Q. It is a great little camera. By the looks of your weather, recommend carrying extra Q batteries. Excellent dog photos.

Ron, much prefer using the Q over some cell phone. So much easier to control and far greater options. Just purchased first Q7.

Q7 (chrome & black) with 02 & 06 just arrived from Japan. Japan seemed the best stocked of any country. Even those listings seem thinner than before. Decided I had better get the original Q a back up.

There are menu differences between the two. Will take a little while to learn. Plan to use both on Pentax DA*300. Different crop factors will allow working the situation. Exciting!

The Q is fun!
Thanks
barondla
02-03-2017, 11:32 PM - 1 Like   #59
Pentaxian

Several very important things have come out in the past few years that would make a new camera model much much better

(1) A camera which is most useable indoors will always have limited appeal. Based on products from other companies, EVF technology has significantly improved during that time; an EVF would make it much more useable outdoors. I pack a collapsible Hoodman, but that increases the volume of what I pack.

(2) Based on preliminary reports, the new "accelerator" is helping Pentax to get better "high ISO" results from the K-70 than they did from the K-30; the nature of noise is that it starts affecting the perceived quality of Q images at fairly low ISO values, visible even to those of us who do not pixel-peek. With that technology on a QP, I could get better pictures at ISO values like 1600 without having to be as dedicated a PP worker as Heinrich Lohmann is.

As I have said many times already, cameras like the Canon SX50 and the Nikon P900 {each of which does have an EVF} demonstrate that there is still a market out there for small-sensor cameras, but it might take a 2017 camera to catch attention.
02-06-2017, 05:13 PM - 2 Likes   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know this idea has been mentioned before, but a monochrome Q with no Bayer filter would be so very cool. It shouldn't be too costly to develop or produce. We get higher ISO sensitivity, more resolution. The B&W body would take up about the same space in my bag as a couple of rolls of B&W film. And there would be nothing else like it on the market.