Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 56 Likes Search this Thread
01-26-2017, 12:58 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Will Ricoh realign resources to further Q development after KP release?

We've all heard about the KP by now. I bet this is where Ricoh has been throwing its engineering resources. Now that the KP is out do you think Ricoh will shift their work on a significant Q series update? I've been hanging on to my Q7 kit but the Q7 will be 4 years old this June. An updated design with an improved sensor would be great. The dynamic range is too limiting for me.

What's the latest word on the street?

If development is on hold then I'm seriously thinking of selling my Q7 body to continue building up my u4/3 kit. Should a new Q body appear on the horizon then I can jump back on since I'll have my lenses.

01-26-2017, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
We've all heard about the KP by now. I bet this is where Ricoh has been throwing its engineering resources. Now that the KP is out do you think Ricoh will shift their work on a significant Q series update? I've been hanging on to my Q7 kit but the Q7 will be 4 years old this June. An updated design with an improved sensor would be great. The dynamic range is too limiting for me.

What's the latest word on the street?

If development is on hold then I'm seriously thinking of selling my Q7 body to continue building up my u4/3 kit. Should a new Q body appear on the horizon then I can jump back on since I'll have my lenses.
Agreed! Would love a new Q.
01-26-2017, 01:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I'd be surprised - the Q series seems dead to me.
01-26-2017, 02:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

They dont tell me EVERYTHING But dont think there is plans for more Q's for now

01-26-2017, 02:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

As fun as a new Q might be, I think Ricoh have much, much more pressing priorities.

#1 (or #2) - New flagship APS-C. Despite all the evidence that the KP is not the replacement for the K3II, widespread
chaos is currently reigning.

#2 (or #1) - DFA primes. Far too long on the roadmap. May they be Limited.

#3 - An answer to the Fuji GFX. An updated 645 at the least. Much more bold, a mirrorless 6x7 with new mount(*).

(*) I am neither a huge advocate for mirrorless or new mounts, but both are due to come eventually or Pentax will
be caught in a corner. Mirrorless and EVF will eventually replace the DSLR and OVF. Pentax's biggest handicap
is one of its greatest strengths; the K-mount. Mirrorless APS-C and FF bodies will need a mount with shorter focal plane
distance than the K-mount to be competitive. No need to tackle that problem just yet(**), but a smart stepping stone
would be to revive the legacy 6x7 platform with a new mount. Adapters for older lenses should not be a problem.

(**) I think the absolute key to successfully replacing the K-mount will be a really well designed, full function
adapter for legacy K-mount lenses. Create that, perhaps even include it free with the first couple new mount
bodies and a new mount just might not be the death of Pentax.
01-26-2017, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Q is history m43 can make camera's just as small. I hope Ricoh takes lessons learned from the Q and the GR to a new mirrorless aps-c line.
01-26-2017, 02:23 PM - 3 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

01-26-2017, 02:55 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If they are really killing off the Q, they should at least make a statement to that effect. There's nothing worse than alienating loyal fans who remain hopeful for a replacement.

It's been clear for a while that the Q's prospects weren't too positive outside of Japan, but they could certainly spin it off into a different, more successful line given the growing market for mirrorless.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-26-2017, 04:29 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If they are really killing off the Q, they should at least make a statement to that effect. There's nothing worse than alienating loyal fans who remain hopeful for a replacement.
Ricoh have, on two different occasions, made statements about the future of the Q. Both times the message was the same: The Q system will continue, and the telephoto macro lens that's been on the roadmap for years will be produced. And both times it was just about two weeks before people started crying again that "The Q system seems dead to me! Ricoh must have abandoned it!"

So, I guess they just need to release a new statement every two weeks. Until they release an actual product, that is.

And no, a statement made in an interview is not a binding promise. Plans can change, and planned products can be cancelled. Maybe the Q system really is dead, I dunno. But I do know this... If they really have cancelled it, they'll need to replace it with something. If Pentax are just going to be DSLRs, that's a pretty narrow road to travel in today's photo industry.
01-26-2017, 04:35 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
And no, a statement made in an interview is not a binding promise. Plans can change, and planned products can be cancelled. Maybe the Q system really is dead, I dunno. But I do know this... If they really have cancelled it, they'll need to replace it with something. If Pentax are just going to be DSLRs, that's a pretty narrow road to travel in today's photo industry.
But they are also heavily investing in spherical / VR photography, which could pay off if they manage to stay at the forefront. That said, they should definitely take advantage of the growth of mirrorless.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-26-2017, 06:43 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Doubtful on the Q.

I'm willing to bet they focus more on the DFA Lenses and a new flagship APSC body.

Really the KP is just a stop gap to keep people from leaving Pentax for Fuji, Sony, and m4/3. I'm almost willing to bet they will plan on throwing development into a APSC or FF mirrorless before they put more money in the Q.
01-26-2017, 07:19 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GateCityRadio Quote
Really the KP is just a stop gap to keep people from leaving Pentax for Fuji, Sony, and m4/3.
I went to Sony, myself. My Q7 kit represents my last active area of participation in the Pentax world. (I have a couple of other Pentax bodies, but they are destined for fleaBay whenever I get around to it.)
01-26-2017, 07:34 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
I went to Sony, myself. My Q7 kit represents my last active area of participation in the Pentax world. (I have a couple of other Pentax bodies, but they are destined for fleaBay whenever I get around to it.)
I went to Sony (for an A7) and came back after a year or so. The Sony Zeiss lenses are nice but damn are they expensive (The GMs are even more ridiculous)...then when Sony only updated the A7II series to get lossless RAW I was out. Sold my A7, 35/2.8, and 55/1.8 and was able to buy a K3 with a grip and a whole slew of lenses with the money I made lol. I was on my way back out to try m4/3 but this KP has me curious....I really like the little DA limiteds, they're some of the most underrated lenses out there. Just need a small body to use them on, the KP may be the answer
01-26-2017, 07:44 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wouldn't rule the Q out. Just hedged my bet and ordered a Q7 02/06 kit from Japan. Due to arrive in a few weeks.

Pentax has already lost the the spherical race. I can walk into a store, in a small town and see the Nikon Mission Key. Another store has the Kodak. Pentax Theta? No where to be seen.

Have 4/3 and M4/3. They sit in the closet. Q is far more fun to shoot. Still love the Q crop for telephoto shooting. Everyone likes something different.
Thanks
barondla
01-26-2017, 07:49 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GateCityRadio Quote
I went to Sony (for an A7) and came back after a year or so. The Sony Zeiss lenses are nice but damn are they expensive (The GMs are even more ridiculous)...then when Sony only updated the A7II series to get lossless RAW I was out.
I know what you mean about the lenses. I only have adapted lenses for mine -- more Takumars than anything else. It's a fantastic system for manual focusing, with magnification and peaking in the EVF and proper mechanical focus rings on those vintage lenses. As for the lossy raw files, I looked into that, but it didn't seem like something that would be of any consequence to me.

QuoteQuote:
I was on my way back out to try m4/3 but this KP has me curious....I really like the little DA limiteds, they're some of the most underrated lenses out there. Just need a small body to use them on, the KP may be the answer
I did use a K-S2 with the 24-40mm Ltd for a while, and I have to say it was a very pleasing combination. The KP is just slightly larger than the K-S2 in every dimension, but the difference isn't really significant.

P.S.: If I did ever decide I only was going to have one system camera to do everything, there's a good chance it would be some variety of M4/3. But now I am splitting the difference with the A7 and Q7, and that seems to be working for me!

Last edited by Tony Belding; 01-26-2017 at 07:52 PM. Reason: postscript