Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2017, 06:19 PM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
I know this idea has been mentioned before, but a monochrome Q with no Bayer filter would be so very cool. It shouldn't be too costly to develop or produce. We get higher ISO sensitivity, more resolution. The B&W body would take up about the same space in my bag as a couple of rolls of B&W film. And there would be nothing else like it on the market.
Sounds like the perfect little B/W ILC for travel:

MonoQRoam

02-08-2017, 02:35 PM - 8 Likes   #62
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's a quick update on the status of the Q:

Our retail partners cite extremely low Q sales, so in its current state the system is clearly unappealing within the US mirrorless market. I hope that Pentax comes up with something exciting for the Q in the future!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-08-2017, 02:39 PM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
then it all depends on the direction not being down the drain or into the Pentax museum.
02-08-2017, 03:02 PM - 2 Likes   #64

Monochrom Q!

A dedicated monochrom will be awesome! The 12MP sensor will be more like a 24-30MP sensor without the bayer colors. And base ISO will be 320, like on the Leica Monochrom. That will give high ISO without much noise. What a great idea! That would certainly rejuvenate the Q for a lot of people.

---------- Post added 02-09-17 at 12:11 AM ----------

While waiting for something new I have bought a Q-S1 and 9 more lenses to have fun with. I have allready the Q7 and 14 lenses (mostly c-mount and d-mount, but also the 01, 02, 03, 06 and 08 lenses). The reason I bought this started with me buying a new car. This car had a 15x10x10 cm compartment behind the emergency brake handle. I decided to use this small box to house a complete camera system. So I needed 2 camera bodies. I actually do not care if the Q is dead or whatever. I will buy a new Q every 3-4 years, just because of weight and size. And as long as there are millions of c-mount and d-mount lenses in the world, someone will allways make a digital camera for them. Now, in my new car I have permanently a camera with me, with 5 lenses with focal length from eqvi. 15mm to 700mm, a multi-viewfinder, 3 batteries, remote release and a small belt puch and 4 filters. In the trunk I have a small tripod. That is what I call being prepared. And from the outside, the car looks empty. Go Q!

02-08-2017, 03:43 PM - 1 Like   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the Q update, Adam. Much appreciated. Guess we Qusers need to brainstorm some viable ideas for Ricoh/Pentax.

Thanks
barondla
02-09-2017, 01:48 AM   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NoRules Quote

---------- Post added 02-09-17 at 12:11 AM ----------

While waiting for something new I have bought a Q-S1 and 9 more lenses to have fun with. I have allready the Q7 and 14 lenses (mostly c-mount and d-mount, but also the 01, 02, 03, 06 and 08 lenses). The reason I bought this started with me buying a new car. This car had a 15x10x10 cm compartment behind the emergency brake handle. I decided to use this small box to house a complete camera system. So I needed 2 camera bodies. I actually do not care if the Q is dead or whatever. I will buy a new Q every 3-4 years, just because of weight and size. And as long as there are millions of c-mount and d-mount lenses in the world, someone will allways make a digital camera for them. Now, in my new car I have permanently a camera with me, with 5 lenses with focal length from eqvi. 15mm to 700mm, a multi-viewfinder, 3 batteries, remote release and a small belt puch and 4 filters. In the trunk I have a small tripod. That is what I call being prepared. And from the outside, the car looks empty. Go Q!
I think you are not ready completely - you had forgotten 12V charger for camera batteries)
02-09-2017, 02:04 AM - 1 Like   #67

I not only have the 12V adapter, but also a battery bank

02-09-2017, 10:20 AM   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Here's a quick update on the status of the Q:

Our retail partners cite extremely low Q sales, so in its current state the system is clearly unappealing within the US mirrorless market. I hope that Pentax comes up with something exciting for the Q in the future!
Well, isn't that where the Catch 22 is: we are some who truly appreciate the Q ecosystem for what it is today and for how it could orgaically evolve over time - but we are obviously too few to make the Q a sustainable business in our parts of the world. Now then, should Ricoh/Pentax come up with 'somthing exciting' for the future Q, what chances are there, that we current Q enthusiasts, won't be deeply disappointed???
02-09-2017, 11:02 AM - 2 Likes   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax originally pitched the Q as a serious camera system. Then the "Japanese school girl" angle became popular. Have no idea what would appeal to them enough to displace the phone. Even jewelry loses in a fight with a woman's cellphone. Perhaps a phone built into the Q?

Going to the serious side, the small sensor is a turn off to many. It has to offer something special.

Some ideas:

What if we follow the pro K cams and remove the flash? The articulated arm wastes a lot of space. Leave the hotshoe, and build a small Q specific flash that syncs with the leaf shutter lens at 1/2000. Pentax should be able to shoehorn an EVF in there. Keep the Q body the size it is now. Would you buy a Qev?

Pentax missed the mark when they brought out a Q>PK adapter without af. Build a new adapter with af. Include a foot for a reddot scope in top of the adapter. Pentax could have had a large slice of birders/wildlife photographers with this set up. Now the 80x zoom cameras are moving in.

Would it be possible to seal the lens mount with an interchangeable filter like Sigma did their DSLRs? On a Sigma you can remove the filter and shoot unhindered infrared.

Use a larger sensor. Current wideangles won't cover it, but it would go bigger with teles. Using too big of a sensor would allow selecting different aspect ratios without losing resolution. Think Pana has done this before.

All ideas that would get my attention. Most aren't that hard to implement. Any other ideas?
Thanks
barondla
02-09-2017, 01:00 PM   #70

Monochrome Q actually does sound quite amazing. It would get to keep its small sensor without compromising resolution.
02-20-2017, 05:17 AM - 1 Like   #71
Pentaxian

Just used the Q7 for another short cycle tour.
Q7, fisheye, 06 and 01, super compact and versatile for cycle touring and photography.
It has been so since the day I bought it, as it is now.

In fact, some of the folks I was cycling with was very curious about this tiny camera which seemed to be more versatile than their phones.

02-20-2017, 07:49 AM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great pictures as usual pinholecam. The umbrellas are particularly enchanting. You make excellent use of the Q.

In the news forum, Adam is asking for question suggestions for Pentax at CPS. There are a lot of Questions. Add your Q questions to the list. It will help us get some attention from Pentax.
Thanks
barondla
02-20-2017, 12:56 PM - 2 Likes   #73

Very nice pics pinholecam - they bring back childhood memories.

Like everyone else here, I'm somewhat saddened by the apparent demise of the Q, but it has still not dampened my enthusiasm for it. My brand new Q-S1 arrived from Amazon last week, and while I haven't had much time to play with it, I did find it to be a worthy upgrade for the venerable Q. Then yesterday, I struck paydirt and found a used (but mint) Q7 bundled with an 02,06 and 07 for a very good price online. So... I'm back to having not 3 but 4 Q bodies now I'll be giving the Q7 away to a good home and keep the Q-S1 for myself, and am happy to now have 01,02,06 and 07 native lenses, plus a few other adapted ones. I just hope that my Q bodies will last for the next little while. If it does indeed become discontinued, I might just have to get an extra one... just in case...

Last edited by drewski; 02-20-2017 at 10:00 PM.
02-20-2017, 01:12 PM - 1 Like   #74
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Sony can glue two 645z sensors together and you have a nice 44x66mm sensor for the 6x7d.
my dream ....
02-21-2017, 01:27 AM - 1 Like   #75
Pentaxian

I recall the times when the Q was released (and later the other versions).
The 'serious users' (said in the deepest baritone voice) here on PF thought it stupid, yadah..yadah...

Weren't we the cheery ones to take up the idea of the fun/freedom of the system; throwing away the megapixels/DR/large sensor/etc, to take up the camera as what it is, over the spec chasing?

So have we come full circle and become what we did not want to be?