Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
02-06-2017, 08:21 PM - 2 Likes   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
These are some shots from tonight. Just some quick shots while I had the time.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q-S1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q-S1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q-S1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q-S1  Photo 
02-06-2017, 08:23 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Q-S1 looks nice Scorpio71GR! Red compliments the gunmetal well. Classy look.

Nothing prepares people for the true size of the Q. Especially when extra lenses are involved. Excellent images. It will be fun!
Thanks
barondla
02-06-2017, 08:42 PM - 1 Like   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Q-S1 looks nice Scorpio71GR! Red compliments the gunmetal well. Classy look.

Nothing prepares people for the true size of the Q. Especially when extra lenses are involved. Excellent images. It will be fun!
Thanks
barondla
Thanks, the red does look nice. I was not sure at first but there really is not much to choose from these days. Even the silver 02 lens looks sharp on the red gun metal body.

The last of the shots before the sun went down while walking Duke. The stonewall behind on the neighbor's house in the alley. The sun was really down so I had to use ISO1600.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q-S1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q-S1  Photo 
02-06-2017, 09:26 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Q-S1 handles ISO1600 a lot better than the smaller sensor Q/Q10. Your image looks fine in color. The B&W could even go to a higher ISO setting. Did you shoot the original in jpeg or Raw?
Thanks for sharing
barondla

Last edited by barondla; 02-06-2017 at 10:19 PM.
02-06-2017, 09:30 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Q-S1 handles ISO1600 a lot better than the smaller sensor Q/Q10. You image looks fine in color. The B&W could even go to a higher ISO setting. Did you shoot the original in jpeg or Raw?
Thanks for sharing
barondla
They were shot in RAW, I ran the final image through Topaz Denoise and just used the Moderate Raw setting. The RAW files hold up very well. I am impressed.
02-07-2017, 06:00 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
You really do not get a grasp of the size until you see it in person. This is going to be a lot fun.

Welcome to the ranks of Pentax FanatiQs.....
02-07-2017, 10:42 AM   #37
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Congratulations on the Q-S1! I've never tried one, but I have the Q-7 (which is basically the same) and it's a fantastic little camera. You'll love it, I'm sure.

Re the 01... I may be unique in not being a huge fan of the 01. It produces an awful lot of barrel distortion, and while that can be corrected in-camera and in post-processing, I sometimes feel that the results don't look quite right for close-up shots. Also, the field of view is slightly odd on the larger sensor Q7 / Q-S1... equivalent to using a 40mm lens on full frame, it sits between the classic 35mm and 50mm wide / normal views. I don't know... it just feels a little strange to me in use. It works better with the original Q, in my opinion, where the field of view is much closer to that of a "normal" 50mm lens. Having said that, it's undeniably fast, sharp and very compact.

As for the 02... Some have criticised it for not being all that sharp, and maybe it isn't biting sharp, but it produces nice images - and with some sharpening in post, they'll look as sharp as you want. It suffers from heavy distortion at the wide end, and - like the 01 - this can be tricky to correct on close-up images; however, at the same focal length as the 01 it has less distortion (and even less at the more natural-feeling 10mm focal length). It's slower and has a variable aperture, but the focal length range is really useful - equivalent to the classic 24-70 on full frame. I use mine an awful lot more than I use the 01.
After seeing the results with the objective of 50mm Pentax adapted to the Q-S1, I observed that the Zoom No. 02 and No. 06, which I have, do not get all the game that the sensor actually has.
My question ... Should we move to fixed targets, no zoom?
P.S. Visit the thread I opened on adapter for Q-S1
The Q-S1 went traveling..... - PentaxForums.com

02-07-2017, 11:40 AM   #38
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alayos92 Quote
After seeing the results with the objective of 50mm Pentax adapted to the Q-S1, I observed that the Zoom No. 02 and No. 06, which I have, do not get all the game that the sensor actually has.
My question ... Should we move to fixed targets, no zoom?
From time-to-time I shoot with adapted K-mount lenses on my Q-7, using the Pentax K-to-Q adapter. The results can indeed be excellent. But... MF can be a real pain on the Q-series cameras due to the relatively-low-resolution LCD screen. It's possible, but I don't find it as much fun as using the native lenses... and then there's the fact that there's no K-mount glass capable of offering anything other than a telephoto view on such a small sensor. Of course, there's C and D-mount glass offering wider FOV, but much of that is either very old or for manufacturing and CCTV applications, and really doesn't have the necessary resolving power to offer an improvement over the native glass.

So... whilst I'll play with adapted lenses now and then, I'm far more likely to pick up the 02 and 06 for general shooting...
02-07-2017, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #39
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
From time-to-time I shoot with adapted K-mount lenses on my Q-7, using the Pentax K-to-Q adapter. The results can indeed be excellent. But... MF can be a real pain on the Q-series cameras due to the relatively-low-resolution LCD screen. It's possible, but I don't find it as much fun as using the native lenses... and then there's the fact that there's no K-mount glass capable of offering anything other than a telephoto view on such a small sensor. Of course, there's C and D-mount glass offering wider FOV, but much of that is either very old or for manufacturing and CCTV applications, and really doesn't have the necessary resolving power to offer an improvement over the native glass.

So... whilst I'll play with adapted lenses now and then, I'm far more likely to pick up the 02 and 06 for general shooting...
True enough, the 50mm increases with adapter are converted to 250mm or more, but I have loved the sharpness of the image. I think that the fixed focal points Q No. 01 and 05 may be an option to take into account. I continue to use the usual zoom 02 and 06 for the versatility of focus.
But it has some magic to put the old objectives of the Pentax ME Super into the small and flirty Q-S1 ... !!!
02-11-2017, 01:03 PM   #40

Nice to see so many other folks who are late-comers to the Q club like myself. :-) Got mine from amazon.com and it finally arrived in Canada courtesy of a cross-border shipping company. I just opened the box at home now and came online to look for firmware updates. Having two other original Pentax Qs, I already knew that this one wasn't a full metal body, but it did not hit me till held it in my hands how much nicer the original Q body was. Oh well... body also seems just a tad bigger compared to the original Q, but I am hoping the bigger sensor will give me better performance.

Scorpio71GR, like yourself I have the K-01 too and yeah, it's not always the smallest thing to carry even with the DA 40XS. I have only two native Q lenses at the moment, 01 and 02, and while I like the quality of the 01 lens, I find that it isn't quite wide enough for some of the shots I like to shoot, e.g. low light in a restaurant with friends. The 06 lens wasn't in my original purchase plans, but having used my K lenses with the K-to-Q adapter, I found that it's not always quick and easy to get zoom shots using that setup (I am one of those people who have a hard time manual-focusing without a viewfinder.) I've seen the 06 price coming down too, so might just be tempted to go buy it.

Update: Well what do you know, there doesn't seem to be a firmware update for the Q-S1 since it was released.

Last edited by drewski; 02-11-2017 at 01:36 PM.
02-11-2017, 01:56 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

drewski, if you found the 01 lens view too tight on the original Q, the view on the Q-S1 may be perfect. Love how the 28mm eq. 02 becomes a 24mm on the Q7.
Thanks
barondla
02-11-2017, 06:17 PM   #42

Thanks Barondia, I just checked it out - it *is* a smidgen wider yay... And yeah, plasticky body aside, the Q-S1 does feel noticeably faster than the Q in taking pictures. Early conclusion for me is that the Q-S1 is a worthwhile upgrade.
05-14-2017, 04:01 PM   #43
Forum Member

I finally gave into my courisity and picked up a Red Q-S1 double zoom kit with the 02 and 06 lenses. It is on its way and will be here in a few days. I have been going back and forth with the Q and a M4/3 camera for a long time. In the end I went with the Q for its size and well its a Pentax. I really wanted something that I can just grab and take with me. Even my K-01 with the 40xs does not always fit this. I wold like to pick up a few extra batteries. I have been looking on Amazon, anyone have any suggestions?

For those who have the Q and 01 prime I was wondering if you use the 01 more than the 02 zoom. I like the size of the Q and the 01, but the 01 seems pretty high still around $140 to $200 USD. In the end if I really like the Q I most likelywould get the 08. The 08 is one the major attractions to the Q for me. I have not seen much else like it in mirrorless. There is the 03 fisheye which seems interesting as well. I love my 10-17, it rarely stays home.

In the end I could not find anything else that could compare with the price of the Q. For $350 US I got a brand new camera and two zoom lenses.

I'm new here and have been looking for a Q7 or Q-S1. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get such a deal on a new one?

Thanks,

--Rick
05-14-2017, 05:31 PM - 1 Like   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rmcnelly Quote
I'm new here and have been looking for a Q7 or Q-S1. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get such a deal on a new one?

Thanks,

--Rick
I found mine on Ebay for a But It Now price. I watched for awhile to find one.
05-14-2017, 06:27 PM - 1 Like   #45
Forum Member

I found mine on Ebay for a But It Now price. I watched for awhile to find one.
Thanks, went there and saw several had been sold for a similar price, so I have set up a search to watch for one.

--Rick