Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2017, 07:44 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gylfimag Quote
A normal focal length has a focal length that is equal to the diagonal of the sensor. For full frame that is 43.3mm and for APS-C 28.2mm. For the Q-S1 and Q7 it is 9.3mm, for the Q and Q10 normal would be 7.7mm. So 8.5mm is pretty close to normal and certainly not ultra-wide. A normal focal length lens is generally the simplest one to produce and thus they are usually inexpensive and perform well optically.
Well, I've learned something, there - thanks! I usually do learn something here every fews days... it helps to re-calibrate my occasionally over-inflated belief in my own knowledge!!

02-04-2017, 08:25 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Well, I've learned something, there - thanks! I usually do learn something here every fews days... it helps to re-calibrate my occasionally over-inflated belief in my own knowledge!!
And it keeps my head from getting too big. Sometimes i actually start to imagine I'm some kind of Photographer.

Last edited by normhead; 02-04-2017 at 09:33 AM.
02-04-2017, 09:12 AM - 3 Likes   #18
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Michael, congratulations on joining the Q family! I have the original Q, and love it! I only have the 01, and 06 lenses. I most often use the 06. Here's one taken with my Q, & the 01.
02-04-2017, 10:48 AM - 2 Likes   #19

Q

You can do so much with the Q, but to get the most from one, you need to spend a lot of time getting familiar with it's menus and in camera programmes, processes and filters. as they have many more "in camera" features than many pro level cameras, which all adds to the enjoyment, of course.

The 08 lens is really good for macro hence:

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
02-04-2017, 10:50 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pixel Hunter Quote
You can do so much with the Q, but to get the most from one, you need to spend a lot of time getting familiar with it's menus and in camera programmes, processes and filters. as they have many more "in camera" features than many pro level cameras, which all adds to the enjoyment, of course.

The 08 lens is really good for macro hence:
I've been wondering what I needed for macro. I usually won't carry a camera without macro capability. Thanks for that.
02-04-2017, 12:12 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Norm, the unique (toy) wideangle also makes a great macro. No shutter built in, so it is going to use electronic.That does limit flash sync to 1/15. Amazing close up abilities.
Thanks
barondla

---------- Post added 02-04-2017 at 01:14 PM ----------

Nice image Pixel Hunter. I will have a 08 one day.[COLOR="Silver"]

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added 02-04-2017 at 01:15 PM
02-04-2017, 02:27 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Norm, the unique (toy) wideangle also makes a great macro. No shutter built in, so it is going to use electronic.That does limit flash sync to 1/15. Amazing close up abilities.
Thanks
barondla

---------- Post added 02-04-2017 at 01:14 PM ----------

Nice image Pixel Hunter. I will have a 08 one day.[COLOR="Silver"]

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added 02-04-2017 at 01:15 PM
This is becoming a complicated decision. I hate that.

02-04-2017, 02:49 PM   #23

Lens choice

I use the 08 probably the most, I would have liked it to be a little faster, but it's a great lens and as I tend to work mainly in Macro, with plant/insect subjects or Landscape, it suits both areas well. When you gain some confidence you could purchase an adapter and try some extreme telephoto as below, not perfect as was hand held through my car windscreen yesterday lunchtime. Used a Takuma SMC 135mm F2.5
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
02-04-2017, 03:59 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you for all the comments everyone. I ordered two extra batteries and a charger on Amazon. Those are arriving tomorrow. My Q-S1 should be here Wednesday. I am looking to trying my hands at something new. i am pretty sure there will be an 01 prime in the future if the Q works out for me. The lens I will have to save my pennies for will be the 08 lens. It is a shame Ricoh never delivered on that Q macro. I do see all kinds of third party extension tubes. Has anyone ever used those? I am not a big macro shooter so it would not be something for me.
02-04-2017, 04:26 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Scorpio 71GR, congrats on the Q-S1 zooming your way. Hard to wait until Wednesday.

Problem with the extension tubes is too much extension. They aren't mated well to the Q lens focal lengths. The only lens that works well is the 06. Even then, only the short tube is truly useful. The other tubes either focus right at the front element or not at all. I am still buying the tubes. Will use the shorty with the 06. The other tubes may become donors for Q projects.

Thanks
barondla
02-04-2017, 06:53 PM - 2 Likes   #26
Pentaxian

Regarding Q-macro: One other option is the use of a +10D dioptre lens together with the 06 telephoto zoom. A two element multicoated achromat´would of course be optimal, but so far, I have been doing with a cheap Chinese 1-element, uncoated lens. There will often be some purple fringing then, but no more than can easily be handled in post processing.

A good thing with the advanced Q-lenses is that flash can be synchronized down to a /2000s and thus, one can use the flash to freeze movement and hand shake even in broad daylight. Working distance is convenient and the tiny Q-pixels allow for quite some cropping:

Pentax Q-10 image: Mosquito attack (yes, it is my own arm!). Cropped image.
Pentax 06 telephoto zoom @ 24mm FL with +10D close-up lens. Flash on; 1/2000s, f/8.0, ISO 100

Pentax Q-10 image: Cucumber spider, (body is some 2.5mm long). Cropped image.
Pentax 06 telephoto zoom @ 28 mm FL with +10D close-up lens. Flash on; 1/2000s, f/8.0, ISO 100

Regarding the Pentax 02 Standard Zoom: I find it much better that its general reputation. Is this really that bad?:

Pentax Q10 with 02 Standard Zoom @ 15mm FL

Pentax Q10 with 02 Standard Zoom @ 6mm FL.

I like my 02 lens a lot - so much that I have decided NOT to go for the 01 lens. 'Instead' I have placed an order for the 08 Wide Zoom at srs microsystems. It's on 'special order' and the wait is looong - so far 3 weeks since I placed my order.......
02-04-2017, 07:49 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Problem with the extension tubes is too much extension. They aren't mated well to the Q lens focal lengths.
I pretty much had that feeling. Seems to defeat the purpose of the Q and its size.

QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
One other option is the use of a +10D dioptre lens together with the 06 telephoto zoom.
You can some pretty amazing results with those closeup filters as you have shown here. That is something I may have to look into, Thank you for posting those shots.
02-04-2017, 09:14 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There's a good priced 01 for sale on the marketplace...

5% OFF Weekend Sale - Pentax-Q Lenses, DA 35mm Macro, FA 50mm Macro, Metz 48 Flash - PentaxForums.com
02-06-2017, 06:38 AM   #29
Forum Member

Watch eBay and you can find an original Q with an 01 lens around $150-$180. Then you have a back up body and extra battery charger. Sometimes I have seen them with extra batteries as well. With The Q system's future in doubt, not a bad contingency.
02-06-2017, 08:05 PM - 3 Likes   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QS-1 arrived today not much time to really play with. I took a few shots of Duke the unwilling model. I also took a few more outside while on his walk. By then the sun was going down so there was not much light left.

This Q is definitely brand new and the seller shipped right away. I did not think it was going to be here until Wednesday. The K-01 has a little brother now. Man this thing really is small. You really do not get a grasp of the size until you see it in person. This is going to be a lot fun.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo