Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
02-05-2017, 01:24 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't forget firmware updates,

There was a firmware update for the Q7 that just arrived. Downloaded it onto blank SD card and finished the update. Q7 screen also showed an update for the 02 standard zoom. Had forgotten about my 01 lens having a firmware update, so many years ago. Don't forget to update lens firmware! Don't think the 06 requires an update.
Thanks
barondla

02-05-2017, 01:34 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
There was a firmware update for the Q7 that just arrived. Downloaded it onto blank SD card and finished the update. Q7 screen also showed an update for the 02 standard zoom. Had forgotten about my 01 lens having a firmware update, so many years ago. Don't forget to update lens firmware! Don't think the 06 requires an update.
Thanks
barondla
How long ago was 'just arrived'?
02-05-2017, 01:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Congratulations on your newly arrived Q7! Wonder why the old owner didn't apply the old updates.
02-05-2017, 03:18 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
How long ago was 'just arrived'?
It arrived 4 days ago.

Thank you CarlG. The owner barely used this camera and lenses. They all look brand new. Guessing he didn't know about firmware updates.

Does Pentax ship new 01 & 02 lenses out with updated firmware? How about it Q-S1 owners? Are your new lenses firmware 1.00 or later?
Thanks
barondla

02-05-2017, 08:02 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I don't think that Q-lenses carry any firmware themselves, that woul be embedded (or 'attached' as Ricoh puts it) in the camera firmware.

Anyway, there never was any firmware update for the Q-S1 so, both camera and lens firmware (for my 02and 06 lenses) read version 1.00 on my Q-S1.

On my Q10 camera firmware reads ver. 1.03 while lens versions are still 1.00. The 1.03 update included adaptability of the 08 Wide Zoom. When I receive my copy, ordered new 3 weeks ago, we shall see, but I am pretty certain that the lens firmware will still read ver. 1.00 on both my Qs.
02-05-2017, 09:00 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Stone G, I am fairly certain that Q premium lenses do contain their own firmware. I just put the 01 lens on my Q7. The 01 was firmware updated 4-5 years ago. It reads out 1.01.

On the Japanese Ricoh/Pentax website they have people download firmware updates for Q, Q10, Q7 body. Then download lens firmware updates seperately. Check it out. Think your 02 needs updating.
Thanks
barondla

Last edited by barondla; 02-05-2017 at 09:53 AM.
02-05-2017, 09:24 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

IMO the Q Lenses carry updateable FW, else why would Pentax have lens-specific FW updates and why would the Q7 Info have a Menu line for (attached) lens FW version? Otherwise Pentax would simply update the camera FW to drive the lens.

barondla-Q7 is snappy and produces rich files, esp. with 01 and 06. Pretty slick with the converter, too. When it warms up I'm itching to get my 1000/8 on Q7.

02-05-2017, 10:04 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Oops, typo above. Corrected it. The 01 shows the newer firmware # on the Q7 body. Since the 01 was updated on the original Q body, how would the Q7 know that about the 01 lens update? Agree with monochrome, premium lenses have firmware inside.

monochrome, I have just started using the Q7 with the Pentax adapter and DA*300. Results are promising. It is cold in the midwest, so I am shooting thru a window. The difference in crop factor is noticeable between the Q & Q7. 1000/8 will be incredible! Enjoy.
Thanks,
barondla
02-05-2017, 12:18 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Check it out. Think your 02 needs updating

And right you were! I never noticed this section way down the page with Q-lens firmware updates, but I now updated one 02 lens on my Q10 after which it duly shows firmware version 1.01. Inserting the lens in my Q-S1, I now also read the same firmware version here. It so happens that I have two 02 lenses, because I had to take one more copy together with my Q-S1 and that lens still showed Ver. 1.00 on both cameras until I made yet another update with that lens mounted on the camera.

So, monochrome and you were right: The firmware does indeed reside in the lenses.

Thanks a lot barondla, I'd never found this update on my own.

---------- Post added 02-05-17 at 08:29 PM ----------

Hmm..........and now to see what difference this update for "Improved stability for general performance" means to my future 02 images. I never found that I had any issues with the 02 lens as it was.

Last edited by Stone G.; 02-05-2017 at 12:30 PM.
02-05-2017, 12:51 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Glad it worked out for you Stone G. Your dual 02's supplied the perfect test and proof. Good job.

Can't wait until we hear from the owners of new QS-1kits. If Pentax made only 1 batch of 02 lenses, they will likely have the 1.00 firmware. Companies don't unbox product to do firmware updates, short of a catastrophic problem. If the firmware is updated that points to a second batch, or more, of lenses. No reason to load old firmware into a new lens.

I have multiple PonoPlayers and watched the firmware advance 2 times. It is an interesting glimpse into manufacturing and the history of your product.
Thanks,
barondla
02-13-2017, 09:52 AM   #11
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Link to the firmware updates on the Q and lenses?
02-13-2017, 10:14 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oops, typo above. Corrected it. The 01 shows the newer firmware # on the Q7 body. Since the 01 was updated on the original Q body, how would the Q7 know that about the 01 lens update? Agree with monochrome, premium lenses have firmware inside.

monochrome, I have just started using the Q7 with the Pentax adapter and DA*300. Results are promising. It is cold in the midwest, so I am shooting thru a window. The difference in crop factor is noticeable between the Q & Q7. 1000/8 will be incredible! Enjoy.
Thanks,
barondla
Hah Hah - yeah, window glass is worse than a plain filter for distortion. I'll need a Sherpa, but I'm looking for the best support and gimbal for the lens, then the right loupe for the Q7. I already have a Pentax Red Dot sight and rail. I'm guessing a photo of the setup itself will be somewhat interesting.
02-13-2017, 10:53 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Link to the firmware updates on the Q and lenses?
It's all on the www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp ->support ->software downloads page: Software Downloads : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING

Some deep links:

Pentax Q7 (ver. 1.01): Latest PENTAX Q7 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

Pentax Q10 (ver. 1.03): Latest PENTAX Q10 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

Pentax Q (ver. 1.14): Latest PENTAX Q Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

Pentax 01 Standard Prime (ver. 1.01): Latest PENTAX Q Lenses Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING (same page as below)

Pentax 02 Standard Zoom (ver. 1.01): Latest PENTAX Q Lenses Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING (same page as above)
02-13-2017, 11:01 AM - 1 Like   #14
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks so much, I appreciate the links!
02-13-2017, 01:29 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Monochrome, lets see your Q tele set up. Always interesting to see these custom Q kits.

Gimbals are popular. For the Q, I still prefer a large ball head. Gimbal has advantages for birds in flight. Don't see being able to track birds very well with adapted lenses and manual focus Q. The large ball head is much smaller, lighter and easier to hike with.

Haven't found a loupe I really like on the Q. The optics of the ones I tried were mediocre. The fit was also finicky. I just wear a long billed black ball cap and use 4x on screen. It is great that the Q system allows such customization.

Thanks
barondla