Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2017, 11:31 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Q adapters

How does the Fotodiox PK-P/Q adapter compare to the Pentax K to Q adapter?

Cost is quite a bit less for the Fotodiox, but am wondering if indeed you "get what you pay for"?

02-13-2017, 11:35 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Only the Pentax Adapter Q has a leaf shutter. The others are just dumb adapters...some don't even have an aperture control ring.
02-13-2017, 11:56 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You definitely get what you pay for in terms of workmanship, but the big question to ask yourself would be if that's worth it to you. The Pentax adapter has a smoother aperture ring and mounts more snugly on both ends, plus it's heavier and more solid. It also has the built-in leaf shutter, which would be the only practical difference in terms of imaging.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-13-2017, 12:17 PM   #4
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
That's what I was afraid of. I'll just have to bite the bullet & get the Pentax brand. Hopefully find a nice used one.

02-13-2017, 12:23 PM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
That's what I was afraid of. I'll just have to bite the bullet & get the Pentax brand. Hopefully find a nice used one.
Although it's a pricey adapter, Carol, it's well worth it. The quality is streets ahead of any other adapter I have for any camera... plus, of course, there's that leaf shutter.

I'd guess your chances of getting one through the Wanted section of the Marketplace might be quite good. I think it's one of those accessories that some people buy and then find they don't use all that much...
02-13-2017, 12:57 PM   #6
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Mike, I'll definitely watch the Marketplace, and when ready to buy; will place a Wanted ad.
02-14-2017, 04:34 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Although it's a pricey adapter, Carol, it's well worth it. The quality is streets ahead of any other adapter I have for any camera... plus, of course, there's that leaf shutter.

About that leaf shutter and other differences: It may be timely to recall attention to the staff review in 2013 here at PF,

Pentax K to Q-mount Adapter Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

For me, it is crucial that the leaf shutter allows for:

1. Flash Synchronization at shutter speeds down to 1/1000s
2. Very long exposure times up to 30s (32s in Bulb mode)

No other adapter than the original Pentax one will allow for that. And yes, it is expensive but in my opinion well worth the price. My only rant is, why does it have to be so difficult (at least here in Europe) to get hold of the tripod mount adapter? I had to self-import mine from Japan.

02-14-2017, 04:39 AM   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
why does it have to be so difficult (at least here in Europe) to get hold of the tripod mount adapter? I had to self-import mine from Japan.
Yes, agreed. I had to import mine from Japan too
02-14-2017, 06:31 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is no different in the US. I imported mine from Japan (I see one on evilBay in South Korea). Buying it from Ricoh would cost about three times as much...
02-14-2017, 10:01 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just borrow the tripod adapter from my Pentax DA*300, when needed. That way I don't have to carry two.
Thanks
barondla
02-14-2017, 10:16 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Yes., for those who have the DA* 300 or the DA* 60-250, it is a simple matter - - - at least until one looses that little adapter and needs a spare. What then?
02-14-2017, 02:32 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There was another manufacturer making a foot for the Pentax adapter. They also made a lot of panoramic equipment. Don't know if that is still available.

When Ricoh makes a new af Q>PK adapter, they need to fix a major inconvenience of this tripod foot. An ultra tele is much more useful with a rotating tripod foot.

Thanks
barondla
02-14-2017, 02:57 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have no ides whether they are still in business or not but this is what I think barondla ir referring to:

Photography Accessories | Panoramic Photography | Tripod Head - Nodal Ninja
02-14-2017, 03:56 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is the aftermarket adapter. Thanks for the assist Heinrich Lohmann! Hope they still supply these.
Thanks
barondla
02-17-2017, 06:27 AM - 1 Like   #15

I just got the adapter from SRS Microsystems in the UK and asked about the tripod mount. They had one left, but said they could get them from Pentax. Cost of the mount was £39, and was marked up as the 38100 Pentax Tripod Mount for DA*300. It came retail boxed as an accessory.